21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
hasbeen

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by hasbeen »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:56 pm I thought Garrett was a B12POY candidate and so did many others.

He was on early Naismith watch lists.

Instead he wasnt even a top 15 player in the conference.
There's nowhere to put him but below expectations.
Well, you were a dumb ass, so you only have one option. I'm smart and had him pegged correctly.

Do better analysis next time.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Proof that you had him "pegged correctly"?
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:24 pm Proof that you had him "pegged correctly"?
Do you want a copy of my journal?

You watched Marcus play for three seasons at KU and really thought he'd be an elite PG. Couldn't be me.

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I thought everyone played exactly to the way I expected--i called it.

Didnt tell anyone but y'all have to trust me.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Yes, I'm lying because I care what you think about my basketball takes. I need you to think I'm a genius at this stuff. Please validate me.

- lobser
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Im just saying how I called it perfectly.
Not anything to do with you.
Dont worry bout it.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Marcus through 3 years:

Below average finisher at rim
Below average shooter

pdub:

He will be the best player in the United States while playing PG for the first time!

Derp

- lobser
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i don’t think MG was below average at finishing at the rim prior to last year...in fact, he excelled at that just the year prior
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I don't know that there was a player that I was way off on.

I thought Dave would look like 2nd half of the season all year.
I thought 1 of Wilson, TGF, or Enaruna would emerge, but wasn't sure which it would be
Ochai's stats are where I thought they'd be, but thought he'd do more overall
Same for Braun
I knew Garrett wasn't going to turn into a scorer, but thought he would do more offensively (looking at his assist numbers) than he did, and he really wasn't a factor defensively until half way through conference, but I wasn't among those who thought he'd be "the guy".

What I overestimated was how the team would play when it didn't have it's A game. For a Bill Self coached team, their bad was probably the worst I've seen. Every team has off nights, those guys took having an off night to another level.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

hasbeen wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:49 am
NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:41 am If he can bulk up a bit, what's stopping him from having a RussRob type of career? The IQ is there. Doesn't force anything. Plays defense. 3 A/TO and how many assists were taken away by the team only being mediocre, at best, from 3 last year? Struggles when having to switch onto bigger guys? Who doesn't? That's why teams look for mismatches. Seems like people want to hate him because he's not a guy to go out at get 20 points.
No one hates him because they don't want him to be the starting PG at the University of Kansas. Unless you're related to him, this protect-at-all costs stuff is super weird.

How many of those 2 assists per game came off him breaking the defense down and creating for someone else? How many came on basic passes within the offense? I'd bet more came from the latter, which is fine, but any guard playing meaningful minutes on a top 3 team needs to be better than "pesky" at some things and god awful at other things.

I don't care how many points he scores a game but it is difficult to play him if the defense doesn't fear his ability to score. But what is most important is that when the offense breaks down, he's able to beat his man off the bounce and get a lob for Dave or a 3 for OA in the corner. If he can go do those things, he should and will see the floor. I know he didn't have that ability last season and don't expect him to this season, but I hope I'm wrong.

I hope this Harris criticism isn't too traumatizing for you. You're in my thoughts.
If what I said equates to thinking he should be the starting PG (Which, I never even came close to suggest he have as many minutes, let alone more than last year.), then what you're saying about him is that he should be sitting between Teahan and Jankovich. Apparently there's no middle ground.

Also quite a leap to think an opinion that he has at least proven to be worthy of rotation minutes is a protect-at-all-costs approach.

I agree, it seems like someone is definitely traumatized by this conversation. I can promise you it's not me. Wonder what he did to a relative of yours that has you so anti-Harris.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:44 pm
hasbeen wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:49 am
NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:41 am If he can bulk up a bit, what's stopping him from having a RussRob type of career? The IQ is there. Doesn't force anything. Plays defense. 3 A/TO and how many assists were taken away by the team only being mediocre, at best, from 3 last year? Struggles when having to switch onto bigger guys? Who doesn't? That's why teams look for mismatches. Seems like people want to hate him because he's not a guy to go out at get 20 points.
No one hates him because they don't want him to be the starting PG at the University of Kansas. Unless you're related to him, this protect-at-all costs stuff is super weird.

How many of those 2 assists per game came off him breaking the defense down and creating for someone else? How many came on basic passes within the offense? I'd bet more came from the latter, which is fine, but any guard playing meaningful minutes on a top 3 team needs to be better than "pesky" at some things and god awful at other things.

I don't care how many points he scores a game but it is difficult to play him if the defense doesn't fear his ability to score. But what is most important is that when the offense breaks down, he's able to beat his man off the bounce and get a lob for Dave or a 3 for OA in the corner. If he can go do those things, he should and will see the floor. I know he didn't have that ability last season and don't expect him to this season, but I hope I'm wrong.

I hope this Harris criticism isn't too traumatizing for you. You're in my thoughts.
If what I said equates to thinking he should be the starting PG (Which, I never even came close to suggest he have as many minutes, let alone more than last year.), then what you're saying about him is that he should be sitting between Teahan and Jankovich. Apparently there's no middle ground
As I said, if he's able to do things he couldn't last year, then he should see the floor quite a bit. If he can't then you're absolutely right about my position, there is no middle ground and he should be attached to Teahan's hip. The reason for that is this season we have Remy Martin and last season we didn't. I hope this helps.

- lobser
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah. And it was likely a number of factors.

Lead guard vs matched up against a 3 or 4.

Rumored breathing issues.(covid after-effects?)

Opponents generally sagging the D.

Our offensive spacing…did Dave do a good job of creating angles in the post? Both for himself and for drivers?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I still don't get how his Assist #'s dropped by 20% when going from co-PG to the PG.

Even loosing Dok, even with defenses sagging, and being guarded by a 1 instead of a 3, don't you pick up a couple dimes per game just by being the primary ballhandler for 33 mpg instead of 18?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:56 pm I still don't get how his Assist #'s dropped by 20% when going from co-PG to the PG.

Even loosing Dok, even with defenses sagging, and being guarded by a 1 instead of a 3, don't you pick up a couple dimes per game just by being the primary ballhandler for 33 mpg instead of 18?
I think Dok was just that big of a factor. The lobs were obviously easy assists but Dok commanded so much attention on rotations when he rolled to the rim that assists all over the court were much easier.

- lobser
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Man, Enaruna was such a disaster at KU. I thought he was going to be amazing.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hasbeen wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:40 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:56 pm I still don't get how his Assist #'s dropped by 20% when going from co-PG to the PG.

I think Dok was just that big of a factor. The lobs were obviously easy assists but Dok commanded so much attention on rotations when he rolled to the rim that assists all over the court were much easier.
I also thought Garrett was more effective getting the ball when moving side to side (like he could with Dotson) as opposed to initiating from the top.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:53 pm Man, Enaruna was such a disaster at KU. I thought he was going to be amazing.
Always seemed to me like he was one of those guys who just doesn't love the game of basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

He's only been playing for a few years right? I dobt know if he loves it or not...but he wasnt seeming to improve.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:51 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:53 pm Man, Enaruna was such a disaster at KU. I thought he was going to be amazing.
Always seemed to me like he was one of those guys who just doesn't love the game of basketball.
I have never met him in person so I have no way to judge that. But his lack of improvement since being at KU was sort of strange.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

tough to judge by appearances, but it never really looked like he was having a good time when he was on the court