The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
shindig

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by shindig »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:30 pm So some of you, a year ago or so, aerated your lawns.

I haven't done this to my lawn yet since I've bought my house.
Spring I pick up all the dog shit and fallen limbs, rake, apply some weed control, then seed/fertilize.

Have any of you noticed aerating making a significant difference?
How do I get my lawn looking good so I get you all off of it?
You shouldn’t use weed control and seed/fertilize at the same time. In Spring, use weed control and fertilizer. I use Milorganite fertilizer, it’s organic and basically raw sewage in pellets from the Milwaukee sewage plant. The Fall is the best time to seed. When they aerate your yard, the machine drops seed into the plugs. I’ve had it done a few times and didn’t notice much difference. Cheaper to get a garden Weasel and rough up the dirt, seed, then weasel again.

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Weasel-90 ... 131&sr=8-2
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I seed fall just before snow and early spring just after snow
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:12 am I seed fall just before snow and early spring just after snow
Yeah, I try to do that, but always forget or don’t get around to it. But yes, when the snow melts, it pulls the seed down.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I also try not to use weed killer except on gravel surfaces or other areas i want barren. I try to overseed the shit out of the ground and choke out the weeds with an overabundance of the seed I want to grow.

Doesn't always work, but seems like a more kind approach to the ground
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I have my own approach and method for a fool proof and beautiful lawn.

Follow carefully.

1) On the 15th of every month, I send $250 to Mexicans that take care of my landscaping.

2) Every Sunday, I drive around the front of my house on my way to whatever patio I decide to have a Bloody Mary / margarita at….. admiring my yard as I pass.

100% effective
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:34 am I also try not to use weed killer except on gravel surfaces or other areas i want barren. I try to overseed the shit out of the ground and choke out the weeds with an overabundance of the seed I want to grow.

Doesn't always work, but seems like a more kind approach to the ground
Yeah I don’t use weed and feed although I probably should have because clover is coming up in several areas of my front yard, but fvck it, it’s green. Majority of my neighbors do nothing to their yards, so with the gusty winds, it’s tough to keep weeds out.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Overlander wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:41 am I have my own approach and method for a fool proof and beautiful lawn.

Follow carefully.

1) On the 15th of every month, I send $250 to Mexicans that take care of my landscaping.

2) Every Sunday, I drive around the front of my house on my way to whatever patio I decide to have a Bloody Mary / margarita at….. admiring my yard as I pass.

100% effective
lol. Yeah, I’m too cheap and I don’t have a sprinkler system, so keeping the yard watered on a consistent basis is tough. And they keep saying it’s supposed to rain, so I wait, then we get a few drops..,sigh.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We've had so much rain, I can't cut the grass. Finally had a dry day yesterday and started to cut it. Then I was chased outta my backyard by a bunch of giant GD bees. I hate those things.
Defense. Rebounds.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:11 pm We've had so much rain, I can't cut the grass. Finally had a dry day yesterday and started to cut it. Then I was chased outta my backyard by a bunch of giant GD bees. I hate those things.
It’s been overcast here in KC all day with wind gusts up to 45-50, but it rains for 2 minutes then nothing. I mowed this morning and almost got crushed by a dead branch that fell out of my 80+ year old Oak tree. At least I was able to test out my cordless chainsaw. It got the job done.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I am out Jeeping on the Idaho / Montana border today.

I keep getting turned back by DEEP snow, but holy fuck…..it is beautiful here
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

yes.

yes it is.

Idaho Montana border is....in my opinion....the greatest place in this country *

(need some more research in Alaska prior to my declaration, but I'm damn close to calling it fact).
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I still give Sedona and Death Valley #1 and #2. This area is making a strong claim for #3 for me
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Overlander wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:04 am I still give Sedona and Death Valley #1 and #2. This area is making a strong claim for #3 for me
Sedona is great…except for the people
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m gonna have to go back and make a formal count, but it seems like i’ve been fortunate enough to have visited roughly half of these
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

HTF is the stl arch a national park? I've driven by it a hundred times but never stopped. Does that count?

Having never been to Alaska or Hawaii, that counts out a bunch for me. Even with that, I've probably been to almost half.
Defense. Rebounds.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

These never get old. The artist's website has some great stickers too.
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/natio ... rs-1908910
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:07 pm Image

These never get old. The artist's website has some great stickers too.
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/natio ... rs-1908910
those are awesome
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

LOL at Acadia's.
"The water is ice cold."
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Kinda have to agree with them on Mammoth Cave.
Defense. Rebounds.