an even more frightening perspective

Coffee talk.
dolomite
Contributor

Re: an even more frightening perspective

Post by dolomite »

I didn’t go away but I have to leave occasionally because of boring responses to certain queries.
You gave the reasons for why we are where we are, and there is no arguing those factoids. I tend to look at the big picture and how Mother Nature can’t easily respond to man made efforts to rapidly slow down the temperature of our earth.
China, Russia and India are you listening?
Originally Imzcount (Why do politicians think “hope” is a plan ?)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you said it was a conceited notion that human activities could change the earth’s temperature

do you still think this way?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:05 pm you said it was a conceited notion that human activities could change the earth’s temperature.

[/quote
I’m not a climate change denier. But to reverse the climate will take a miracle from God.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

does it take practice to speak out of both sides of your mouth, or does it just come naturally?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Which side of my mouth would you prefer I speak from?? The side that says I believe that humans caused extreme changes in global warming or the side that says that it will take a miracle to reverse the damage caused by humans.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:05 pm you said it was a conceited notion that human activities could change the earth’s temperature

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If humans just suddenly stopped using cars, airplanes and didn't buy/produce anything made of plastic, I think that would reverse the damage.

Not a miracle from God but certainly some sort of very unlikely scenario.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Waiting for the miracle to come.
Taylor Sheridan
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

pdub wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:14 am If humans just suddenly stopped using cars, airplanes and didn't buy/produce anything made of plastic, I think that would reverse the damage.

I don't think that is an unlikely scenario.

In a mass extinction, that scenario is a very likely outcome.

Would that be a miracle from God?

I suppose it depends on who you worship.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

japhy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:01 am
pdub wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:14 am If humans just suddenly stopped using cars, airplanes and didn't buy/produce anything made of plastic, I think that would reverse the damage.

if that’s considered a miracle from god, then our current dilemma is a disaster from god
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and, obviously, there are some things that are already irreversible…most of which relate to biodiversity
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If Qusdahl is really ever gonna win anybody over, I bet it’s in this thread.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:24 am

if that’s considered a miracle from god, then our current dilemma is a disaster from god
The word "smited" comes to mind.

I know there is a group that wants to think this is because we have become a modern day Sodom and this will be vindication of their bigotry or personalized fascist mindset. But I don't think a god that could have created this incredible universe could be such a petty piece of shit that they would worry about who is fucking who consensually, or how people like to dress up, or that women have body autonomy.

A real muthafuckin god has bigger shit to think about.

Like, am I gonna bring the clouds down onto the Sangre de Cristos and fuck up japhy's big super moon reveal?

Nope, a god so magnanimous as to create our world and the people in it would more likely be smiting us for taking their words and twisting that shit around for the purposes of fuckery and for the purpose of serving a golden tressed idol/rapist/grifter/sociopath with ideations of fucking his own daughter who wants to build useless vanity walls while stifling the progress others are trying to make so as to preserve what is left of the planet and save people.

Yeah, that seems like the kinda shit that gets a smite gun warmed up methinks.

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

japhy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:04 pm

The word "smited" comes to mind.

I know there is a group that wants to think this is because we have become a modern day Sodom and this will be vindication of their bigotry or personalized fascist mindset. But I don't think a god that could have created this incredible universe could be such a petty piece of shit that they would worry about who is fucking who consensually, or how people like to dress up, or that women have body autonomy.

A real muthafuckin god has bigger shit to think about.

Like, am I gonna bring the clouds down onto the Sangre de Cristos and fuck up japhy's big super moon reveal?

Nope, a god so magnanimous as to create our world and the people in it would more likely be smiting us for taking their words and twisting that shit around for the purposes of fuckery and for the purpose of serving a golden tressed idol/rapist/grifter/sociopath with ideations of fucking his own daughter who wants to build useless vanity walls while stifling the progress others are trying to make so as to preserve what is left of the planet and save people.

Yeah, that seems like the kinda shit that gets a smite gun warmed up methinks.
well, yeah

more simply, i chuckle when “god” gets credit for good but doesn’t get blamed for bad (at least not at anywhere near the same rate)
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:12 pm well, yeah

more simply, i chuckle when “god” gets credit for good but doesn’t get blamed for bad (at least not at anywhere near the same rate)
I truly don't think god spends much time thinking about what the trillions of their creations here on earth are doing much, if any of the time. I think god is too busy driving a delivery truck, teaching someone something important, making art, baking bread, getting/giving head, picking lettuce, scrubbing a floor, building housing, paying the credit card bill, casting a dry fly, getting stoned, changing a baby's diaper, playing fetch with the dog, signing paychecks that provide a living wage and other mundane but fulfilling and important shit to worry about a book of "do's and dont's" and rules and making a list of people to smite.

god leaves the petty bullshit and the fuckery to the petty

least that is wut god told me right before they sent me out to the Empire

you know wut's next DC....

dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

“But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭59‬:‭16‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Taylor Sheridan
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

dolomite wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:06 pm “But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭59‬:‭16‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Gibberish
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

japhy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:03 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:12 pm well, yeah

I think god is too busy driving a delivery truck, teaching someone something important, making art, baking bread, getting/giving head, picking lettuce, scrubbing a floor, building housing, paying the credit card bill, casting a dry fly, getting stoned, changing a baby's diaper, playing fetch with the dog, signing paychecks that provide a living wage and other mundane but fulfilling and important shit to worry about a book of "do's and dont's" and rules and making a list of people to smite.

god leaves the petty bullshit and the fuckery to the petty

This is a great post.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

So, your point is that Rev. Phelps was right?
God DOES hate fags?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The world just got its first real taste of what life is like at 1.5 degrees Celsius. July was the warmest month on record, and it won’t be the last

The world has just gotten its first real taste of a planet that is 1.5 degrees Celsius — or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit — hotter than preindustrial times.

According to data from the Copernicus Climate Change Service, July of this year was the most scorching July on record, clocking in at somewhere between 1.5 and 1.6 Celsius hotter than the average before the widespread use of fossil fuels.

“It’s just shocking just how big an excursion this is from anything we’ve seen before,” said Zeke Hausfather, a climate scientist and the climate research lead at the payments company Stripe, pointing out that July was a whopping 0.35 degrees Celsius above the previous record.

Before this July, the world had briefly passed over 1.5 degrees for a few times before — but it was during winter months for the Northern Hemisphere, thus blunting the impacts on the largest population centers. This was the first month where temperatures were that far above preindustrial levels and most of the world’s population was under hot, summer conditions.

[...]
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman