The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
defixione
Contributor

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by defixione »

I was told by locals in Colorado that there are grizzlies in both the San Juan range and the Sangre de Cristo range.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

defixione wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:25 pm I was told by locals in Colorado that there are grizzlies in both the San Juan range and the Sangre de Cristo range.
not saying they’re wrong, but locals in SE Kansas (actually, across much of the midwest) swear there are water moccasins in the area
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I would be one of them. I would swear I seen them in SE kansas in the early 90s
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

be an informed consumer, for everyone’s sake

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... /?amp=true
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Honest question(s):

As the population of the world continues to increase, aren't we going to have to expect, and accept, the extinction of some (many) species? Should we try harder to protect species we depend on for human life (bees for example) moreso than species that aren't as impactful on the human species/continuation of human life?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it is better to be silent and be thought dumb, than to speak and remove all doubt

aka, go back to school and learn some basic ecology. pay particular attention to food webs and the connectedness of ecosystems
Deleted User 863

Thanks for the response!

I know you're an animal expert, so was curious to hear your thoughts on running out of room to support certain species.

Ecosystems are constantly evolving/changing. I remember that from Ecology101 in college.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m not an “animal expert”, nor have i ever claimed to be one
Deleted User 863

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:28 pm i’m not an “animal expert”, nor have i ever claimed to be one
Don't sell yourself short. You seem to be an expert on everything.

But seriously, maybe enthusiast was a more appropriate word. Either way. You're in the animal business.

Do you think saving a lot of these species is a realistic goal?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:14 pm Should we try harder to protect species we depend on for human life (bees for example) moreso than species that aren't as impactful on the human species/continuation of human life?
Exactly. Fuck ‘em.
They should have had the foresight to be a bee….or a human
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:40 pm Troll
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:40 pm Trolls
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:01 pm
You know he didn’t read any of those.
^^^^^^
Deleted User 863

The first article presents some very interesting points and eye opening facts.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

defixione wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:25 pm I was told by locals in Colorado that there are grizzlies in both the San Juan range and the Sangre de Cristo range.
I definitely saw a Grizzly while Jeeping outside of Wolf Creek about 10 years ago.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:07 pm The first article presents some very interesting points and eye opening facts.
lol, no

i know Alex, and the majority of his colleagues clowned on him for writing that OPINION piece

he should stick to what he actually knows: computational biology and phylogenetic systematics

edit: he’s an eccentric, boy-genius type with some great ideas…emphasis on some
Deleted User 863

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:41 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:07 pm The first article presents some very interesting points and eye opening facts.
lol, no

i know Alex, and the majority of his colleagues clowned on him for writing that OPINION piece

he should stick to what he actually knows: computational biology and phylogenetic systematics

edit: he’s an eccentric, boy-genius type with some great ideas…emphasis on some
Thanks for your opinion. I do wish you'd elaborate a little more about what in particular you disagree with.

Does he know what you think of him? If not, you can email him at rpyron@gwu.edu...maybe he'll take the time to come on here and discuss some of this with us? It's fascinating stuff.

I do think there is a lot of truth in that "opinion piece" though.