Another mass shooting

Ugh.
dolomite2

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by dolomite2 »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:16 am Yea. Pretty sure there’s a lot of data out there indicating racial disparity among law enforcement.

And even that communities of color don’t necessarily commit more crimes, so much as those communities are policed more aggressively

Dolomite, you ever been pulled over for an air freshener?
Re the air freshener, I don’t have a reason for an air freshener in my clean vehicle, but if I was pulled over, I would make sure I complied with police instructions, not drive away, run away or resist.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

dolomite2 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:29 am
ousdahl wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:16 am Yea. Pretty sure there’s a lot of data out there indicating racial disparity among law enforcement.

And even that communities of color don’t necessarily commit more crimes, so much as those communities are policed more aggressively

Dolomite, you ever been pulled over for an air freshener?
Re the air freshener, I don’t have a reason for an air freshener in my clean vehicle, but if I was pulled over, I would make sure I complied with police instructions, not drive away, run away or resist.
And, as shown time and time again, compliance doesn't work for people of color. I'm going to surmise that you are caucasian. You don't have to comply, you'll still stay alive.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/18/us/austi ... index.html

Three people are dead amid an active shooter incident in Austin, Texas
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

"Comply with officers' instructions."

"Unless they are instructing me to hand over my guns. Over my dead body."

Weird how compliance goes out the window when constitutional rights are involved...
Ain't no seats
dolomite2

Post by dolomite2 »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:13 am all races have interactions with cops

in those interactions where cops are involved...

...Native Americans were killed by police at a rate three times that of white people (77 total killed). Black people were killed at 2.6 times the rate of white people (1,265 total killed); and Hispanics were killed at nearly 1.3 times the rate of white people (889 total killed). Among unarmed victims, Black people were killed at three times the rate (218 total killed), and Hispanics at 1.45 times the rate of white people (146 total killed)....

you said maaaaybe they were committing more crimes

people who didn’t commit crimes weren’t even part of the numbers. those statistics were from all people who had ALREADY committed crimes.

you’re either ignorant, are not very smart
Yet it doesn’t hurt not to commit a crime.
Deleted User 89

ok?

that doesn’t address your ignorant statement
dolomite2

Post by dolomite2 »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:13 am all races have interactions with cops

in those interactions where cops are involved...

...Native Americans were killed by police at a rate three times that of white people (77 total killed). Black people were killed at 2.6 times the rate of white people (1,265 total killed); and Hispanics were killed at nearly 1.3 times the rate of white people (889 total killed). Among unarmed victims, Black people were killed at three times the rate (218 total killed), and Hispanics at 1.45 times the rate of white people (146 total killed)....

you said maaaaybe they were committing more crimes

people who didn’t commit crimes weren’t even part of the numbers. those statistics were from all people who had ALREADY committed crimes.

you’re either ignorant, are not very smart
Neither😄
Deleted User 89

the content of your posts would indicate otherwise
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

An interesting experiment in policing reform.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... MgpSaQn9wQ
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You gotta stay off reddit for a couple days.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

but that hot take isn’t wrong
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

It is. Its deliberately focused on a small and ignorant portion of the gop. The media controls everything we focus on.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:35 am It is. Its deliberately focused on a small and ignorant portion of the gop. The media controls everything we focus on.
Multiple states have no passed legislation banning trans athletes in women's sports and more than 30 states have bills that have been filed to force transgender athletes to play on teams for their sex assigned at birth.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/po ... eam-sports

I agree with you that supporters of these laws are ignorant but it's not as small as you seem to believe.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think thats a tough and complicated issue. Not as simple as you make it and in no way relevant to the gun debate. Which, was the point. Very few are worried about 1 instead of the other.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well, I'm pretty sure that within the GOP, the concern about guns is overwhelmingly focused on protecting rights, much more so than actually addressing gun violence.

and yeah, it might even only be a small portion of the GOP that feels that way, but the thing about the GOP is, the tail has been wagging the dog for a while now.
Deleted User 89

it’s priorities, and observed priorities

the right screams that the left is all about identity politics, but that is exactly what’s going on with the trans athlete issue

what’s worse, is that the right is looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist...and for what?

to “own the libs” and divide this country further?
Deleted User 89

and the issues are absolutely relevant to one another

legislating one necessarily takes time and energy from legislating the other

that alone connects the issues
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Every single issue takes time to legislate, they are not all connected. How much time was spent legislating s covid relief bill to "help Americans" that saw americans get 9% of the total relief
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:45 am I think thats a tough and complicated issue. Not as simple as you make it and in no way relevant to the gun debate. Which, was the point. Very few are worried about 1 instead of the other.
Well, 30 states have found that it is a priority enough to propose legislation banning it while none of those same states have written up any legislation aimed at further reducing the odds that a gun gets into the hands of a dangerous individual so I think I disagree with your last statement.