COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 310

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 310 »

My 7th grade teacher made me sit in a giant computer box for several weeks. He cut a little rectangular hole in the front so i could see out and he could hand me papers... i probably would have been in there longer but one day our principal came in unannounced and he (my teacher) looked horrified that the principal was going to discover i was in a box and discipline him.

I am sure there were multiple reasons for boxing me...but the 1 that i distinctly remember was cutting the nipples out of my T-shirt before giving a presentation in front of the class and then the entire glass dying laughing while i gave my presentation with my nipples showing....weird convo that day when i got home and my mom asked wtf happened to my shirt.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:46 pm My 7th grade teacher made me sit in a giant computer box for several weeks. He cut a little rectangular hole in the front so i could see out and he could hand me papers... i probably would have been in there longer but one day our principal came in unannounced and he (my teacher) looked horrified that the principal was going to discover i was in a box and discipline him.

I am sure there were multiple reasons for boxing me...but the 1 that i distinctly remember was cutting the nipples out of my T-shirt before giving a presentation in front of the class and then the entire glass dying laughing while i gave my presentation with my nipples showing....weird convo that day when i got home and my mom asked wtf happened to my shirt.
Holy shit what a POTD!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:46 pm My 7th grade teacher made me sit in a giant computer box for several weeks. He cut a little rectangular hole in the front so i could see out and he could hand me papers... i probably would have been in there longer but one day our principal came in unannounced and he (my teacher) looked horrified that the principal was going to discover i was in a box and discipline him.

Well that certainly took a turn. You may want to talk to someone about that.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

This is the world I live in. Interaction I just had with a college educated woman.

In reference to those at the White House/RNC last night and their not wearing masks nor social/phyiscal distancing.

Her - "2 weeks from now, Many will be sick. We can only hope!"

Me - "Why would we hope they will be sick? I assume you realize sick people can and do spread the virus to other people".

Her - "First off, it would be their fault for giving it to anyone! And I have to say, it’s very interesting that Conservatives are Deaf, Dumb & Blind about how their selfish behavior affects others and I make one off handed comment about those same people getting sick because they think they are better than the rest us and the rules don’t apply to them, and now people have a problem. SAVE IT! 🤮"

Me - "First off, their "fault" or not, they very well could/would be passing it on to people such as YOU and I - and people YOU and I care about. You and I happen to be in agreement in terms of how we feel about some (many?) Conservatives being deaf, dumb, and blind. My "problem" was, as I just said, my feeling you MIGHT be ignoring how their getting sick could ultimately affect you and I and those we care about. In terms of you telling me to "save it" and adding the puke emoji, you would like me to save what? Rational logic? I'm sorry if you were offended by it".

I was tempted to add that there is a decent chance the majority of Conservatives are right and they are "better" than she is but that wouldn't have been nice.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i empathize with her sentiment
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Lawrence is #7 on New York Times list of where there may be bad news ahead.😮

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ak-us.html
Deleted User 289

Just learned "the tamale guy" in Chicago has contracted the virus and is on a respirator.
I sincerely don't mean to be insensitive and I wish the guy (Claudio) the best but I admit I am left wondering how many people (customers and others) may have contracted the virus from him.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

1,200 students tested positive so far at University of Alabama. Way to go.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/29/us/unive ... index.html
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Are they still going ahead with football? Should we start printing Darwin Award certificates?
Deleted User 310

I cant be the only 1 who has been seeing the posts on social media that "the CDC released that only 6% of the deaths are truly from Covid19"....especially since dumbfuck in charge himself tweeted it out.

Here is a video that explains it a little better...

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Why would anyone other than Lobster even mention it? It's a QAnon-based conspiracy theory. It wasn't quietly done overnight either, it's been on the cdc website for months.
Deleted User 310

Mjl wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:31 pm Why would anyone other than Lobster even mention it? It's a QAnon-based conspiracy theory. It wasn't quietly done overnight either, it's been on the cdc website for months.
I have seen numerous people share it in facebook (some very educated....not shockingly many are business owners)....it is not really a conspiracy as much as it is people being unfamiliar with how deaths are recorded on death certificates, uneducated about medical reporting, and unable to analyze medical graphs/tables.

Why is it that most of the people who think the stats are fake have negative financial impact of the guidelines in place? So transparent....but they have let that impact their ability to comprehend science.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 pm
Mjl wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:31 pm Why would anyone other than Lobster even mention it? It's a QAnon-based conspiracy theory. It wasn't quietly done overnight either, it's been on the cdc website for months.
I have seen numerous people share it in facebook (some very educated....not shockingly many are business owners)....it is not really a conspiracy as much as it is people being unfamiliar with how deaths are recorded on death certificates, uneducated about medical reporting, and unable to analyze medical graphs/tables.

Why is it that most of the people who think the stats are fake have negative financial impact of the guidelines in place? So transparent....but they have let that impact their ability to comprehend science.
I think there are a couple different categories in play.

There are those who promote and leverage the false and misleading information, because doing so serves some broader goal.

And then there are those who simply fall for and spread the false and misleading information, because they want it to be true.
Deleted User 289

Chicago and Illinois requires a diner wear a mask when the server/waiter/busboy/girl approaches them. Not a complicated concept but it is a pain in the ass.
Went to lunch with my 87 year old mother yesterday. We are seated. She has her mask on. I took mine off. Waitress comes over to take our order. I put my mask back on. My mother has a difficult time hearing so when others wear masks it's not easy for her. For some unknown reason my mother must think others can't hear/comprehend her because when she talks to people she pulls her mask down. I try to explain to her she can't do that but she still continues to do it.
Waitress leaves the table and my mother puts her mask back over her face. WTF?
I explain to her she can take the mask off when the server isn't at the table.
Throughout the meal my mother would put her mask on when the server/waitress approached the table but would pull it below her mouth when speaking to the server/waitress. Got to the point where I had to just say fuck it.
Thankfully the waitress was cool but I tried to explain to my mother that she can get the waitress and the restaurant in trouble for not making her adhere to the "rule"/"requirement".
Welcome to America in 2020! Who would have ever thought?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

87 year old mother...you mean great grandma?
Deleted User 289

yep

Side note. Forgetting my grandma persona, I am a 53 year old great uncle. 4 times over.
"Greats" get confusing to me being that there are probably more "great" aunts and uncles who are in their 50s than there are Grandparents - let alone "great" grandparents.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Here's something about family titles I don't like: the children of my cousins being my "cousins" (if I understand correctly).

To me, "cousin" is not intended to cross generations. This should be a variant on "nephew" and "niece".
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Isn't it a "cousin once removed"?

To me, "cousin" means "first cousin" and anything outside of that needs to be specified as "once removed" or "second cousin" or the like.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:00 pm Isn't it a "cousin once removed"?

To me, "cousin" means "first cousin" and anything outside of that needs to be specified as "once removed" or "second cousin" or the like.
Fine, but it should be "second nephew" or something. Something clearly indicating the generation gap.