Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Vivek ramaswamy

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:08 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:49 pm
Feral wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:36 pm

Time to think of something else to keep you up at night?

“Free market” lulz
I dont think prohibiting non citizens from purchasing land is necessarily considered dabbling with the free market.
One thing that, in my opinion, doesn't come up enough when we talk about things like this is that private (individual) land ownership is not a thing that exists in China, as I understand it.

That cultural and social difference is quite important (and should absolutely color how we consider this issue).
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’ll just go on record as saying that i’ve got zero problems with barring foreign citizens from owning property in the US

dual citizenship might be ok, but would have to be heavily vetted
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:05 pm Despite what your Blackrock owned globalist media outlets say about gates, he is hated globally for the side effects of his research tinkerings. And banned from countries
I honestly don't know....
What "globalist media outlets" are Blackrock a primary owner of?
What countries are Bill Gates banned from?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote:"I dont think prohibiting non citizens from purchasing land is necessarily considered dabbling with the free market."
What would you call it?
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:21 pm i’ll just go on record as saying that i’ve got zero problems with barring foreign citizens from owning property in the US

I think that would have a devastating impact on our economy.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:47 pm
randylahey wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:05 pm Despite what your Blackrock owned globalist media outlets say about gates, he is hated globally for the side effects of his research tinkerings. And banned from countries
Randy's list of fake atrocities committed by Bill Gates in 3....2....1...
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm still waiting to learn what Randy meant by "gotta go," and who exactly makes that determination.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Today’s catchphrase in the MAGA echo chambers, boys and girls (and others), is “Blackrock owned globalist media outlets”.

Randy is a committed Libertarian, until he isn’t.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Feral wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:00 pm
TDub wrote:"I dont think prohibiting non citizens from purchasing land is necessarily considered dabbling with the free market."
What would you call it?
protecting the interests of the country and allowing the free market to work without foreign influence from a communist nation?
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I dont think its in our best interests to allow China to strengthen its foothold inside our country and simultaneously gain more control over the global food and grain markets.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:12 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:21 pm i’ll just go on record as saying that i’ve got zero problems with barring foreign citizens from owning property in the US

I think that would have a devastating impact on our economy.
^^^

I'd expect some vigorous pushback, especially in light of what the Covid pandemic did to the US commercial real estate market, with office-building vacancy rates still high, and all the businesses that rely on those office workers for their business suffering.

Sept., 2015: RealtyTrac released data that shows in the first half of the year, 75 percent of Manhattan’s cash buyers had Asian surnames.

March 7, 2022
MOISHE MANA TOPS THE LISTS OF MIAMI’S 10 LARGEST PRIVATE LANDOWNERS

Moishe Mana, CEO of Mana Common, is one of those people. Mana is a real estate investor who made his name disrupting the Miami real estate market. Mana is actually the largest private landowner in Miami, which may come as a surprise to those who are familiar with where Mana started out. From growing up in an impoverished family in Tel Aviv, Israel, to transforming Downtown Miami and the historic Flagler District, Mana is the vision behind it all...
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:00 pm
What would you call it?
protecting the interests of the country and allowing the free market to work without foreign influence from a communist nation?
Tell me you don't believe in "free markets" without telling me you don't...
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:01 pm I dont think its in our best interests to allow China to strengthen its foothold inside our country and simultaneously gain more control over the global food and grain markets.
And you're willing to put restrictions on who can own American property, which means you don't beliieve in a "free market", whether I agree with you, or not.
Derek Cressman
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Feral wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:09 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:00 pm

What would you call it?
Tell me you don't believe in "free markets" without telling me you don't...
"Free for me but not for thee..."
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:47 pm What "globalist media outlets" are Blackrock a primary owner of?
I hate to get in on this conversation on the side of crazy...but:

According to a 2023 report by the Institute for Public Accuracy, BlackRock and Vanguard are the two largest shareholders in the six major media companies that control more than 90% of the U.S. media landscape. Together, BlackRock and Vanguard own 18% of Fox, 16% of CBS, 13% of Comcast, 12% of Disney, and 12% of News Corp.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:49 pm
Today’s catchphrase in the MAGA echo chambers, boys and girls (and others), is “Blackrock owned globalist media outlets”.

Randy is a committed Libertarian, until he isn’t.
He's a cafeteria libertarian. Picks and chooses the parts where people (he) should be free to do what they want (he wants).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:20 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:47 pm What "globalist media outlets" are Blackrock a primary owner of?

According to a 2023 report by the Institute for Public Accuracy, BlackRock and Vanguard are the two largest shareholders in the six major media companies that control more than 90% of the U.S. media landscape. Together, BlackRock and Vanguard own 18% of Fox, 16% of CBS, 13% of Comcast, 12% of Disney, and 12% of News Corp.
...none of which, even combining these competitors' interests, are control investments.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:41 pm

...none of which, even combining these competitors' interests, are control investments.
Correct.

But:
A. No one said "control."
B. I answered Gutter's question.
C. This too is more complicated than it seems. "Competitors" is a term of nuance, and so, for that matter, is "control."
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Thank you for the response!

I'm not a smart guy and just so I get this straight.
"They" (BlackRock and Vanguard) are big investors/PARTIAL owners of many major media companies but.......
"They" (BlackRock AND Vanguard) DON'T own 82% of Fox?
"They" (BlackRock and Vanguard) DON'T own 84% of CBS?
"They" (BlackRock and Vanguard) DON'T own 87% of Comcast?
"They (BlackRock and Vanguard) DON'T own 88% of Disney?
"They" (BlackRock and Vanguard) DON'T own 88% of News Corp?

LIke I said, I'm not a smart guy so maybe I misunderstood and still misunderstand randy's meaning when he said "Blackrock owned globalist media outlets".
I am an investor and own stock in many companies. Can/should I now refer to some/many/most/all of them as Gutter owned globalist ____________ ?

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Feral wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:12 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:01 pm I dont think its in our best interests to allow China to strengthen its foothold inside our country and simultaneously gain more control over the global food and grain markets.
And you're willing to put restrictions on who can own American property, which means you don't beliieve in a "free market", whether I agree with you, or not.
If in the future we want to put pressure on China to stay out of Taiwan by freezing assets, would it be easier to freeze those assets in Iowa or Kenya?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.