The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by jhawks99 »

pdub wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:29 am I have a gutter tshirt.
It's been to 12 countries.
Where does one purchase a Gutter T-shirt? I want one.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You gotta speak to gutman for that.
He had a bunch made about 12-14 years ago.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:19 pm
x2
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

X3
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

man, so spent the weekend camping. Had a sweet spot up a secluded forest road.

But, still being a couple hours from Denver, of course our secluded spot had neighbors by the end of the night, at another site a few hundred feet through the woods.

Our group had one dog, some heeler/aussie mix...super nice to humans, but an asshole to other dogs, so mostly kept leashed, even at a secluded site.

next thing you know, the leashed dog is going apeshit. Turns out there's a large German shepherd running around through the woods. The thing keeps coming into our site and fucking with the other dog and otherwise getting into our shit.

As if they didn't already hear the dogs barking like hell, we yell to the neighbors asking them to get their dog. After several minutes of aggressive barking, they finally oblige, and at least yell for it. The thing eventually even listens too, and retreats.

The dog owner in our party goes over to talk to them. Hey, sorry, we have a dog that doesn't like other dogs, which is why we keep it leashed up in our campsite. For the sake of your dog, and for not having to listen to your neighbor's dog bark all night, could you please keep your dog in control too?

The neighbors take exception, and maintain the attitude that we're being either high maintenance and/or inconsiderate toward them for not wanting a German shepherd running at large through our campsite.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

dogs that doesn’t like other dogs have owner problems. The whole gang should just stay home.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

sounds to me that the “owner problem” applies to both dogs

one didn’t get socialized enough

one wasn’t trained to listen and stay close
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, the friend's dog is tough.

I'd say it's not socialized enough, except they've done all sorts of training with it and such. It still just has an attitude toward other dogs.

I think the bigger issue is that they got the dog from a working ranch. The dog's parents were apparently the best cattle dogs around, though that meant they had an attitude toward cattle, and other dogs, and other pretty much anything. And it turns out, what makes for a good cattle dog does not necessarily also make for a good house pet. So it's been bred for generations to relentlessly herd and protect, and is suddenly expected to suppress all that with a few classes worth of training.

I guess the moral of the story is, get a dog based on what personality suits your needs and lifestyle, and not just cuz you think the breed is cute.

no wait, the moral of the story is DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE DOG OWNER EITHER WAY!

I'm not trying to defend the friends nor their dog, but even if there is an owner problem with the friend's dog, I at least give them credit for keeping the thing leashed. Even in the secluded woods! Just like a good owner is supposed to do! There was no issue until someone else let their dog run at large.

...and I will once again reiterate: just like national forest policy requires owners to do!

cuz, once again, if you called the forest service or the sheriff and said, hey there's a dog running at large on public land and threatening our group and our leashed dog, the sheriff would come give the other dog owners a ticket.

Heck, if one among our group were to pull a gun and shoot the German shepherd dead, it would have been perfectly lawful to do so. And just try explaining to the grieving other owners that it's their fault, and they're still the ones getting a ticket.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:19 pm yeah, the friend's dog is tough.

I'd say it's not socialized enough, except they've done all sorts of training with it and such. It still just has an attitude toward other dogs.

I think the bigger issue is that they got the dog from a working ranch. The dog's parents were apparently the best cattle dogs around, though that meant they had an attitude toward cattle, and other dogs, and other pretty much anything. And it turns out, what makes for a good cattle dog does not necessarily also make for a good house pet. So it's been bred for generations to relentlessly herd and protect, and is suddenly expected to suppress all that with a few classes worth of training.
meh…my blue is from a working ranch in misery

she definitely isn’t a dog’s dog (would prefer to play with people rather than other dogs), but she does just fine around other dogs. that said, it wasn’t always this way. we resorted to a shock collar that has a vibrate function (not a fan of the actual shock). we used it on leashed walks and then graduated to off-leash walks. now she does just fine
ousie wrote: I guess the moral of the story is, get a dog based on what personality suits your needs and lifestyle, and not just cuz you think the breed is cute.

no wait, the moral of the story is DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE DOG OWNER EITHER WAY!
lotsa truth to both bolded points
Ousie wrote: I'm not trying to defend the friends nor their dog, but even if there is an owner problem with the friend's dog, I at least give them credit for keeping the thing leashed. Even in the secluded woods! Just like a good owner is supposed to do! There was no issue until someone else let their dog run at large.
yes

generally, people are often inconsiderate when it comes to their dog/s’ behavior. even at a dog park, i take exception to ill-mannered running around no-holds-barred, excessively fucking with other dogs (the instigators of fights) and jumping up on the humans

imo, there is an inherent responsibility that comes with having a dog that too many shirk…but, people suck
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In other news, Yellowstone experiencing 500 year floods

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cew_gIft ... MyMTA2M2Y=
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Saw footage of that on the news this morning. Bridges getting torn our, highways washed away, a house dumped into the river. Crazy stuff.
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Same, footage is nuts. Not sure how they’re going to fix that quickly. Seems like a lot of summer vacation plans might be changing for people.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:19 pm
Just now seeing your, over, and defix's posts. pdub should own the copyright to the image. It was his creation. If I ever decide to make more I will make sure you guys get one.
pdub is the most famous person to have/wear one but I do know a former Mayor (of a major city) has/had one (and has worn it). I only have one in my possession.

This was the original one......

I think the first one had the words "Who's The King?" printed on the back. Long story in regards to why.

This was the 2nd one.

Sorry for the interruption!
Back to the great outdoors......
Which outside my door it is currently 96 degrees.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

x4
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

wasn't there one with gutter in a wedding dress next to his spouse Joakim Noah, or was that just a meme?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ahead of schedule this year. 5 cords of wood off the hill, bucked up, piled and ready to split and stack. At least I won't be scrambling in October for once.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I have the original.

Gutter and I ran together a lot on the Outer Banks this week.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ahhhh!

There’s a fawn on my porch!

Like a little teeny tiny baby deer. With Bambi spots and everything. No mom in sight. Came right up to me as I got home and just stood there like an idiot for the longest time. Then bounded off in a hurry and is now laying face down in some tall grass.