Georgia reopening

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: Georgia reopening

Post by Deleted User 89 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:36 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:01 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 pm Yeah something benefiting society almost never corresponds to wages.

If it did, sanitation workers would be rich.
and teachers
lulz
why do you hate teachers?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:06 pm FWIW, Trump’s against GA reopening so soon.
(Thank you Donald)
You mean thank you to whoever told him he needed to stop cheering it on and be against it.

My wife is working remotely with a new skater who is preparing to move from Georgia to here in Omaha. They are still down there waiting to sell their house but have already begun doing lessons with my wife. Her rink in Georgia is opening tomorrow and she'll be there skating with who knows how many other kids on the ice and parents in the lobby.

Fingers crossed, I suppose.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

dolomite wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:06 pm FWIW, Trump’s against GA reopening so soon.
(Thank you Donald)
FWIW, one day he was for it, that evening and/or the next day his advisors hopefully told him he's nuts - and miraculously he probably listened to them.
Oh, and he didn't ever specifically say he was "against GA reopening so soon".
He said, "I told the Governor of Georgia, Brian Kemp, that I disagreed, strongly, with his decision to open certain facilities, which are in violation of the phase one guidelines". Then he cited 4 specific examples of "facilities" (spas, beauty salons, tattoo parlors, and barber shops) he didn't feel should be opening so soon.
(Thank you Grandma)
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Meanwhile:

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

(Don't tell gutter!)

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

My goodness.

Imagine being so angry and closed-minded that you object to people using their money to support charitable causes -- like tHE SalVAtiON ArMY, for GaiA'S saKe! -- despite the fact that the company donates literally tens of millions of dollars a year to various other charities, all of which help the poor and disadvantaged. (https://www.chick-fil-afoundation.org/n ... -donations)

What, pray tell, does Kim Kardashian need to be forgiven for?

And yeah, I took issue with your post, cuz it's dumb.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:21 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:16 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:23 pm

Judging by your last statement, I know you know this, and I'm no fan of the "sport," but while the competition is seemingly made up, the money is anything but.

The arenas being bid and built have real economic impact. Plus, think of all the Taco Bells that will be built by those places.
Yea it makes me sick to think of the people busting ass to get by and these kids are making 6 figures or more playing a goddamn video game. How does that benefit society in amy way shape or form?
The better question is why does it have to benefit society?

Compare the merits of it to something that I dislike as much or more: professional car racing. Or rodeos. Everyone has their thing.
I mean, it's not like there's someone out there who just decided that gamers must be able to make six figures. The money's there for, ultimately, the same reason it's in any sport or competition: companies will pay to sponsor it, and fans will pay to watch/follow it.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:46 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:01 pm
and teachers
lulz
I don't. I think most teachers a pretty great.

But I also think that the knee-jerk reaction to assume that teachers are uniformly underpaid and underappreciated is the result of political mythologizing.
Deleted User 89

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:00 pm

lulz

But I also think that the knee-jerk reaction to assume that teachers are uniformly underpaid and underappreciated is the result of political mythologizing.
and i’d wager that you’re wrong, at least as the subject relates to elementary, middle- and high school teachers
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:47 pm
(Thank you Donald)
FWIW, one day he was for it, that evening and/or the next day his advisors hopefully told him he's nuts - and miraculously he probably listened to them.
Oh, and he didn't ever specifically say he was "against GA reopening so soon".
He said, "I told the Governor of Georgia, Brian Kemp, that I disagreed, strongly, with his decision to open certain facilities, which are in violation of the phase one guidelines". Then he cited 4 specific examples of "facilities" (spas, beauty salons, tattoo parlors, and barber shops) he didn't feel should be opening so soon.
(Thank you Grandma)
I think you hit the nail on the head. There is a difference between reopening more essential services where people can maintain social distancing and opening less-essential ones where there is unnecessary person-to-person contact. There is no question it is much riskier than me sitting six feet from a patient for fifty minutes talking about their anxiety or talking to a classroom full of students who are spaced six feet apart and are sitting at least ten feet back from the podium. But generalizations and jumping to conclusions keeps people scared, polarized, and easy to control, and the media has proven it is complicit in maintaining that goal.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Feral wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:54 pm (Don't tell gutter!)

Thanks for the heads up!
I was made aware of this "fact" yesterday.
I knew it was the plan long ago and think I might have actually posted about it a couple of weeks ago on this site.
I have mixed feelings but one of them is that I'm not happy about it. That's not to say I think it's the wrong decision - per se.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:10 pm

and i’d wager that you’re wrong, at least as the subject relates to elementary, middle- and high school teachers
Wrong about what? That the national average teacher pay is $60,000 for nine months work, plus public employee benefits, after earning what CAN BE (note the hedge) one of the biggest jokes of a degree available?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:57 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:16 pm

Yea it makes me sick to think of the people busting ass to get by and these kids are making 6 figures or more playing a goddamn video game. How does that benefit society in amy way shape or form?

Compare the merits of it to something that I dislike as much or more: professional car racing. Or rodeos. Everyone has their thing.
I mean, it's not like there's someone out there who just decided that gamers must be able to make six figures. The money's there for, ultimately, the same reason it's in any sport or competition: companies will pay to sponsor it, and fans will pay to watch/follow it.
Let's just keep these paid nerds from doing any college gaming competitions, though. Think about the purity of the game.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

lulz

Or, it could be the way they were treated by our former governor, matt bevin.

ETA: That's the main reason he is former.
Broham
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:33 pm

Or, it could be the way they were treated by our former governor, matt bevin.

ETA: That's the main reason he is former.
99.999% of teachers wouldn't know Matt Bevin if he bit 'em on the backside.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:31 pm

Let's just keep these paid nerds from doing any college gaming competitions, though. Think about the purity of the game.
I've often wondered what tier of gamers are the ones on college esports teams.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:32 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:30 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 pm Yeah something benefiting society almost never corresponds to wages.

If it did, sanitation workers would be rich.
True, but i think that the hugely disproportionate wages for some things is silly.
communist.
Lol
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I understand thwy are paid a wage relevant to the advertising and pay to watch programs they earn for their sponsors. I guess what I'm saying is I think its fucking stupid for people to be spending their money and time watching others playing video games
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:30 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:10 pm

Wrong about what? That the national average teacher pay is $60,000 for nine months work, plus public employee benefits, after earning what CAN BE (note the hedge) one of the biggest jokes of a degree available?
lulz

national average means little in this context, but you know this

i won’t even get into most of their wage being tied up in benefits, so that their take-home is notably reduced...or the need for them to spend money out-of-pocket on supplies to help them be more effective because districts are strapped for cash

perhaps it’s my fault though, and i should have been more explicit (doubt it would’ve mattered since you seem to have a bug up your ass lately), but as it pertains to the conversation at hand - that is, benefit to society - teachers are woefully underpaid, given what our society tasks then with...raising, quite literally up until this pandemic, our future generations. so, comparing their average salary nationally to any other occupation fails to take into account the direct impacts they have on “our children”

jmo, but when tasked with that, i’d much rather we compensate in order to get the best and brightest, decreasing the draw of non-academic positions
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

defixione wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:37 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:31 pm

I've often wondered what tier of gamers are the ones on college esports teams.
According to Rivals, a 5'5" 98 lb. Korean is the #1 recruit, and is thinking about skipping college and going straight to the downtown LA WeWork.