The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by jfish26 »

I haven't been to a better beach than in Marco Island - sigh - Flurrida. I've been to a couple beaches on many of the lists, but in my opinion they were not as good.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

why does it sadden you that florida has nice beaches.

i think it is rather handy that i can hop on a plane. and in two hours be looking at some of the best beaches.

why does that sadden you.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:37 pm I haven't been to a better beach than in Marco Island - sigh - Flurrida. I've been to a couple beaches on many of the lists, but in my opinion they were not as good.
That's true, the beaches on Marco are beautiful. My daughter's in-laws lived on Marco for ~ the last 30 years and until this spring had a home on one of the very nice canals with a boat dock with a cleaning station etc.

We've spent Christmas/New Years there fishing (and some going to the beach) probably 8 out of the last 11 or 12 years. But, they've aged out and their place was sold because none of us had a spare $1.7 million laying around. It was pretty emotional for their daughter and her husband to know all those times with their family there over the years are over.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:56 pm why does it sadden you that florida has nice beaches.

i think it is rather handy that i can hop on a plane. and in two hours be looking at some of the best beaches.

why does that sadden you.
Because the state is run by Christian Nationalist Fascists and overrun by Trump Cultists?

#justguessing
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i hear Somalia has some amazing beaches, mich
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

In 2 hours(or so) I can be sitting on a beach sipping on a boat drink. politics don’t factor into that.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Well then. That explains it. Mich has been sipping too many boats.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I won't spend a dime in Florida. Politics factor into that.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DrPepper wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:32 pm I won't spend a dime in Florida. Politics factor into that.
This, I really want to visit Key West, but it ain't happening anytime soon.
Trust me bro
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

out of curiousity. what other states won't you visit because of politics.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Never really thought about it, so Texas and Florida, South Dakota.
Trust me bro
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

States I wouldn't visit because of politics? I have never given that much thought.
I get that people feel their "boycott" is making a statement but I can't help but question if their "boycott" is hurting themselves more than it is hurting the politicians and/or the people they feel they are making a statement against.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Not trying to make a statement at all. It would make me unhappy for my tax\resort fee to go to a state government I can't support.

Lot's of other places to go.
Trust me bro
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Florida knows what it must do to enter this century.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Overlander has been to an absolute fuck ton of beaches.

Best beach? North Anguilla. And it isn’t even close.

I hope Mich makes way to the Florida Keys to enjoy the “beaches”.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Interesting how you guys (and girls) aren't providing names of the beaches or/nor their exact locations.
I am not a fan of Mexico (big country) as a whole. Ex dragged me to Riviera Nayarit against my will (and I paid - God damn it!) and while it wasn't terrible, I certainly didn't love it.
In a 10 mile stretch I saw and went to some of the worst beaches I have ever been to and saw and went to some of the best beaches I have ever been to. Meanwhile, I can't give you any names of the beaches - or even exact locations, because I don't know them.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DrPepper wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:32 pm I won't spend a dime in Florida. Politics factor into that.
“Funny” isn’t the right word, but it’ll be something when the federal government is (or stands up) the insurer of last resort.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:45 am Interesting how you guys (and girls) aren't providing names of the beaches or/nor their exact locations.
I am not a fan of Mexico (big country) as a whole. Ex dragged me to Riviera Nayarit against my will (and I paid - God damn it!) and while it wasn't terrible, I certainly didn't love it.
In a 10 mile stretch I saw and went to some of the worst beaches I have ever been to and saw and went to some of the best beaches I have ever been to. Meanwhile, I can't give you any names of the beaches - or even exact locations, because I don't know them.
The quality that a beach shows can vary…even throughout 24 hours.

In the US, I can vouch for Orange Beach AL….Sarasota FL…. Caladesi Island State Park FL….the beaches around Marco Island are pretty nice, in the right time of year.

If you are visiting the Florida Keys for the beach life, you will mostly be disappointed.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:44 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:45 am Interesting how you guys (and girls) aren't providing names of the beaches or/nor their exact locations.
The quality that a beach shows can vary…even throughout 24 hours.

In the US, I can vouch for Orange Beach AL….Sarasota FL…. Caladesi Island State Park FL….the beaches around Marco Island are pretty nice, in the right time of year.

If you are visiting the Florida Keys for the beach life, you will mostly be disappointed.
Excellent point/s!

Heck, in the last 3 days the atmosphere (and weather) was vastly different at the beaches near my home.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

The beaches on the east side of your lake are pretty impressive