Chiefs 2023

Kansas Football.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Chiefs 2023

Post by Sparko »

Toney is getting unfair flak. The guy is electric. Played hard. Creed Humphrey has more penalties in the last two games. The folks who pretend to not care about the refs attack players or other bloggers. Today was an exciting game. I tuned in to watch Carl Cheffers arbitrarily endorce and not enforce rules in a game where players typically die early deaths from the concussive force levied. Great to have the game turn on something they never call that conveyed no advantage.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:38 pm Toney is getting unfair flak. The guy is electric. Played hard. Creed Humphrey has more penalties in the last two games. The folks who pretend to not care about the refs attack players or other bloggers. Today was an exciting game. I tuned in to watch Carl Cheffers arbitrarily endorce and not enforce rules in a game where players typically die early deaths from the concussive force levied. Great to have the game turn on something they never call that conveyed no advantage.
Huh? He lined up offsides and should get all the flak as it is a mistake few WRs ever make even at the lower levels of the sport. It's a basic attention to detail and this year, the KC offense is failing at the basic attention to details repeatedly. So many dumb, self inflicted mistakes.

The "good" news is that those should in theory be fixable.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:52 pm
Sparko wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:38 pm Toney is getting unfair flak. The guy is electric. Played hard. Creed Humphrey has more penalties in the last two games. The folks who pretend to not care about the refs attack players or other bloggers. Today was an exciting game. I tuned in to watch Carl Cheffers arbitrarily endorce and not enforce rules in a game where players typically die early deaths from the concussive force levied. Great to have the game turn on something they never call that conveyed no advantage.
Huh? He lined up offsides and should get all the flak as it is a mistake few WRs ever make even at the lower levels of the sport. It's a basic attention to detail and this year, the KC offense is failing at the basic attention to details repeatedly. So many dumb, self inflicted mistakes.

Again, selective enforcement. The offsides by Von Miller drew no flag. I think the larger issue is that these tocky tack penalties do not impact the game. Until the random flag
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:55 pm
twocoach wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:52 pm

Again, selective enforcement. The offsides by Von Miller drew no flag. I think the larger issue is that these tocky tack penalties do not impact the game. Until the random flag
Line up onside. It is quite literally the easiest thing to do on a football field.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Von Miller literally had his upper body across the line on the next play. Andy Reid said the NFL policy is a warning for alignment out there because it is a WAG. The blue line does not exist. Because it is a petty call. He wasn't moving. These kinds of penalties are ridiculous. And seldom enforced if at all for that reason. Last week it was all "You can't call late game penalties."
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Gutter logic (oxymoron - I know).....
I place more blame on the refs for NOT calling it a penalty more often than I do for them calling it a penalty yesterday. A penalty is a penalty and if they see a penalty, a penalty should be called. Period.
As a Chiefs fan (Bears fan first, Chiefs fan second), of course I am unhappy it was called but after quickly glancing at this thread, I didn't see a post in which someone mentioned the penalty was called BEFORE the ball was even thrown by Mahomes. In other words, of course there was the potential for a TD to happen before, during, and after the flag was thrown but for all the ref/s knew when they threw the flag, Mahomes could have been sacked or intercepted on the play. The penalty was magnified because of the outcome of the play. If Mahomes threw the ball in to the ground - people would still bitch about the flag but it would have been much less of a bitch fest.
P.S. That was 2nd down. Mahomes proceeded to throw 3 consecutive incompletions after that. Sure that play was HUGE but Mahomes had 3 more chances to make something happen. That was pretty much as frustrating to me as the penalty (that was a penalty) being called and the TD negated.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As Andy and Mahomes said, usually an official will give a warning. Cheffers is just upset because we have called him a clown. Because he is one.

Von Miller was offsides the next play.
Why wasn’t that called?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I feel Miller should have been called offsides but.... Some feel it wasn't as blatant and happened in a split second.
https://twitter.com/MlVideos12199/statu ... 9439336544

As far as Toney and Cheffers.....
Cheffers is an asshole but his explanation is still SOMEWHAT valid.

“If it's egregious enough, it would be beyond a warning. So really, regardless of whether or not he was warned during the day, if it was an egregious alignment to where he was over the ball… it would still be a foul.”

“Ultimately, they are responsible for wherever they line up,” Cheffers added. “And certainly, no warning is required, especially if they are lined up so far offsides where they're actually blocking our view of the ball.”

https://clutchpoints.com/chiefs-news-nf ... ck-mahomes
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Miller was offsides.
Cheffers is a clown and shouldn’t be on a Chiefs game ever bc he holds a grudge at this point.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

The Chiefs are 2-4 in their last 6 games and averaging 19 a game over that stretch thanks only to the 31 they hung on the dysfunctional Raiders with an interim head coach. They are one of the worst teams in the league in penalties, drops, giveaways and red zone offense. Not a great recipe for success.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

15 points were taken off the board by the officials in 2 of those games which would put us at 21.5 which is still not great but middle of the pack for the NFL.

Our WR coach needs to be canned.
MVS gone.
If we can cut Toney in the offseason for any savings, he needs out.
I think we are on the books for Skyy Moore one more season and he's at pretty low cost but also eventually gone.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:57 am 15 points were taken off the board by the officials in 2 of those games which would put us at 21.5 which is still not great but middle of the pack for the NFL.

Our WR coach needs to be canned.
MVS gone.
If we can cut Toney in the offseason for any savings, he needs out.
I think we are on the books for Skyy Moore one more season and he's at pretty low cost but also eventually gone.
Agree on all those cuts. Take a WR in the first three rounds as well. And they need to replace both tackles as they are both awful although this guy who started at LT last night might be capable of taking the job at least for next year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well, as I said right at the signing, committing all that money to Taylor was a bad move. With that money they could have tagged and traded Orlando Brown and gotten a late 2nd or something.
Now, with Taylor's contract, I don't think they can replace him.

( they can't. what an awful contract. he's guaranteed 34 million next season. jesus )

Wanya Morris would be a revelation if he could become our starting LT.

You need to invest in a WR that can be a no. 1 guy.
Mike Evans? Tee Higgins? Calvin Ridley? Or trade a low pick for Hopkins.
I'd take a low cost flier on an injured Kendrick Bourne or veteran Curtis Samuel.

We can cut Toney at a 2.5 million dollar hit to us next season but that's also the same amount that he'd cost so my guess is he's here next year. We could cut Skyy Moore for a 800k savings so unfortunately I bet he's also here next year.

We can save 12 million by cutting MVS.
That should help us sign a WR.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Toney would be fine if he was our WR3 or WR4 which is what his abilities and availability are more suited for. I'd love to see Mike Evans as a Chief. Wouldn't mind Michael Pittman, either. Higgins and Ridly make me nervous.

Evans, Rice, a 2nd Round draft pick, Watson, Toney and Moore would be decent. Not amazing, but better than this season.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

MVS had a history of drops, but had seemed to have overcome it the year before his contract. I actually think the WR coach Conner Embree is a bust. This is his first year doing it with KC, and I don't think the risk of having an inexperienced coach with new guys was thought out.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:24 am Toney would be fine if he was our WR3 or WR4 which is what his abilities and availability are more suited for. I'd love to see Mike Evans as a Chief. Wouldn't mind Michael Pittman, either. Higgins and Ridly make me nervous.

Evans, Rice, a 2nd Round draft pick, Watson, Toney and Moore would be decent. Not amazing, but better than this season.
Agree with that. Toney is a unique talent. It was awful seeing fans pile on him. I was mad after Detroit, but he should have been put on IR. Lost a valuable roster spot keeping an 80-percent new guy.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Colts have a ton of cap space coming up on 24.
I'd love Pittman but he'll resign there.

My ideal would be Evans, Rice, Curtis Samuel/Kendrick Bourne, 2nd round draft pick and Watson.

Toney and Moore there I guess bc no financial gain to cut them but not normally lining up.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Man that Taylor signing was awful. Tag Brown. The draft process has been great for linemen. Sigh.

Hire a great WR coach and pay the man.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm hoping some good can come from this whole Taylor Swift thing and the Swiftie army can rise up and get Cheffers fired.

Kelce:
"It's ignorance, the ref number 51 shouldn't be able to wear a zebra jersey ever again, he shouldn't even be able to work at fucking Foot Locker."
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Ruined the most exciting play of 2023. It has a pine tar game element: when the flag was thrown, only bad outcomes could come playing out the string. Revealing strategy. Injuries. Defense getting a turnover. I think it should have been a dead ball foul. Mahomes reaction said it all. Even thoughthe Royals wventually won that game, it ruined a season.