Mass Street TBT

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: Mass Street TBT

Post by DeletedUser »

Sometimes when I think about those "could have been guys" and see they haven't really amounted to shit elsewhere or since KU, I realize it's a lot harder to "make it" than a lot of players realize. Sometimes, you're just not good enough.

Cliff. Preston. Diallo. Etc. All must have been missing something.

Cliff has been on social media blaming everyone but himself lately. Making claims the NBA is all "political" and that's why he didn't make it. I say bullshit. I think he didn't make it because he's a non shooting PF who is slightly undersized and isn't a particularly hard worker or focused player/person.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think the argument then becomes whether those sorts of doods would have eventually developed in Self’s system.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

they'd have to actually make it in the system first and buy in...

cliff wasn't gonna do anything, attitude.

Preston I think would've been good.

Diallo I honestly have no idea. Obviously had talent.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cliff was good enough to start as a freshman, until the allegation his mom got a loan or some shit and the NCAA F’d him

Preston, who knows, was good against the Mizzou exhibition, but NCAA F’d him too when he curb checked his step mom’s Camaro

Diallo was long and athletic but raw, didn’t play much as a freshman especially after the NCAA F’d his start to the season, but he still got drafted 33rd as a one and done, and went on to play like 5 years in the league
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Those are all doods who would very likely not only actually get to play in the NIL era, but prob even stick around more than one season
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I watched the game a few nights ago.
It definitely showed me what we missed out on with Preston.

Damn
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:05 pm I think the argument then becomes whether those sorts of doods would have eventually developed in Self’s system.
Into what though?

Would they have been better? Of course. Even if only marginally.

But it's not like Self bats 1.000 at turning raw people into NBA players.

The fact their not even superstars overseas in many instances makes me think their work ethic and personal motivation was not elite enough to make it through the threshold needed for the NBA success long term.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:24 pm Diallo was long and athletic but raw, didn’t play much as a freshman especially after the NCAA F’d his start to the season, but he still got drafted 33rd as a one and done, and went on to play like 5 years in the league
He just never developed what it takes to make it in the NBA for that size of player.

He played 2,186 total career minutes in the NBA (so far, hasn't been on a team since 2021/22 season).
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Look no further than Embiid who developed almost exclusively in the NBA.

It's mostly on the player to improve. Not the coaching. So much of it is focus and determination to make sacrifices that are needed to thrive in the NBA.

Embiid has extreme drive and focus. He's overcome countless injuries to turn into a top player 10 player in the world.

How good would Wiggins be with Embiids work ethic and focus? We will never know. He gets by on natural talent mostly, at least that's how it seems.

On a scale from 1 to 100 on improvement since college with 1 being improving none and 100 being improving the maximum amount...Embiid is probably in the 90s and Wiggins is probably in the 60s. And Wiggins has had very few injuries to deal with and/or derail his development.

Drafting players is hard.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Our guys won tonight again. Can't find stats yet.

Side note: Billy Preston looks rough in his roster pic...

https://thetournament.com/tbt/teams/mas ... as-alumni/
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh god damnit why didn’t anyone mention it was on tonight?!

This is what happens when you guys expect me to do everything around here
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

It's probably just me but I find the TBT to be so gimmicky that it's hard for me to watch.
I'd rather watch the guys play an exhibition game such as the Roundball Classic.
That being said, Go Mass Street!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I'm not a fan of the way they end the games. I understand why they do it, but too gimmicky for me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, "FTW" isn't quite the same in an Elam ending, but still exciting to hear.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PSA:

Team Mass St plays Team Colorado in the round of 16 this Wednesday at 8pm central on FS1
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:25 am yeah, "FTW" isn't quite the same in an Elam ending, but still exciting to hear.
Kind of like when you are banging one of your Tinder hook ups and right before you blow your load you yell, "For the win!"?

To clarify, when I say "you" - I mean you ousdahl.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:03 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:25 am yeah, "FTW" isn't quite the same in an Elam ending, but still exciting to hear.
Kind of like when you are banging one of your Tinder hook ups
Slow down there Gutter
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

As big as Mahomes looked in the pics I just saw of him walking into camp, he should be playing on this team.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:03 am
Kind of like when you are banging one of your Tinder hook ups and right before you blow your load you yell, "For the win!"?

To clarify, when I say "you" - I mean you ousdahl.
Can they hear him, or are they passed out from the donkey punch?