The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by KUTradition »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:56 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:57 am no such thing as poisonous snakes, gutter (at least not in the way i presume you’re thinking)

they’re venomous

that neck of the woods has Northern Pacific rattlesnakes, but rattlesnakes in general don’t tend be actually in water (not impossible though). they would definitely be adjacent tho
Yes, I probably meant venomous. I should have known/realized the difference.
I don't like snakes.
My guess is there are/were other animals in the vicinity of where Overlander was that can also be dangerous.
I like most animals. I still fear those who I feel can eat me if they chose to do as such.
i hope i didn’t offend, as that was definitely not my intent
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:48 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:56 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:57 am no such thing as poisonous snakes, gutter (at least not in the way i presume you’re thinking)

they’re venomous

that neck of the woods has Northern Pacific rattlesnakes, but rattlesnakes in general don’t tend be actually in water (not impossible though). they would definitely be adjacent tho
Yes, I probably meant venomous. I should have known/realized the difference.
I don't like snakes.
My guess is there are/were other animals in the vicinity of where Overlander was that can also be dangerous.
I like most animals. I still fear those who I feel can eat me if they chose to do as such.
i hope i didn’t offend, as that was definitely not my intent
No, no, no, no, no! Not all all!
99% of the time I appreciate being corrected if it's done in a respectful manner. I didn't feel any disrespect from you at all.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:47 am
Overlander wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:29 pm Had a great day rafting the Deschutes River today.

We had three boats total. The boat I was in flipped twice, all in all…all 3 of our boats dumped at least once.

Water was brisk, great fun with our group of 18. Looking forward to coming back.
I'm jealous. I was in an office for 10 hours on a perfect summer day.

3 questions.

1. Are there poisonous snakes, and/or fish that might feed on human flesh, and/or leeches, in the river?

2. Are the rafts inflatable and if so, can they "pop"?

3. Do/did you wear a helmet?
1) No. Mountain rivers are swift and cold as fuck.

2) Yes. Rarely happens. They have several chambers.

3) No.

You seriously need to get out and do some cool stuff.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:31 pm
Overlander wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:29 pm Had a great day rafting the Deschutes River today.

We had three boats total. The boat I was in flipped twice, all in all…all 3 of our boats dumped at least once.

Water was brisk, great fun with our group of 18. Looking forward to coming back.

3 questions.

1. Are there poisonous snakes, and/or fish that might feed on human flesh, and/or leeches, in the river?

3) No.

Thank you for answering my questions!

I have been canoeing and tubing - through rapids - many years ago. Never have "rafted".
I don't know if I have it in me right now. Physically, mentally, health wise.

Yes, I need to do MORE cool stuff but I have been making more of an effort to enjoy my life recently. The past two weekends I think some/many people would feel I did "cool stuff". Lollapalooza and Air and Water show. Didn't have to travel more than a mile or so to enjoy both.
Money has been a factor in my lack of travel recently but my hope is to travel more and do/experience more cool stuff in the not too distant future.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 5:40 am

3 questions.

3) No.

I have been canoeing and tubing - through rapids - many years ago. Never have "rafted".

Yes, I need to do MORE cool stuff but I have been making more of an effort to enjoy my life recently. The past two weekends I think some/many people would feel I did "cool stuff". Lollapalooza and Air and Water show. Didn't have to travel more than a mile or so to enjoy both.
Money has been a factor in my lack of travel recently but my hope is to travel more and do/experience more cool stuff in the not too distant future.
2 things...

1. you're not canoeing or tubing the deschutes

2. You just posted about going to LA for a week or whatever and wanted hotel suggestions for less than $650 a night....

A week in LA is way more expensive than a 7 day trip down the Salmon River (highly recommend)

money isn't the problem, what you choose to spend it on is the limiting factor.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

we spend maybe $300 (food and gas) on our camping trips

obviously, camping isn’t for everyone, nor does everyone have access, but there’s definitely something to be said for priorities
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

TDub wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:43 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 5:40 am

3) No.

2 things...

1. you're not canoeing or tubing the deschutes

2. You just posted about going to LA for a week or whatever and wanted hotel suggestions for less than $650 a night....

A week in LA is way more expensive than a 7 day trip down the Salmon River (highly recommend)

money isn't the problem, what you choose to spend it on is the limiting factor.
1. You are correct, I never canoed or tubed the Deschutes.
I have had the desire to "raft" in many rivers across the USA (and other countries). I would add the Deschutes and Salmon Rivers to my list. Problem now is, like I said, I don't know if I could handle it mentally/physically/health wise.

2. Money WAS a BIG "problem" (factor) for me the past couple of years. No matter what I chose to do (or not do) with it and where I chose to go (or not go).
I have no doubt I would very much enjoy a day or two on the Deschutes and/or Salmon Rivers. I love and appreciate nature and beautiful scenery. That being said, I would rather spend 7 (or more) days in the LA area than 7 (or more) days on the Deschutes and Salmon.
That's just me. I don't expect others to feel the same way.

3. Most importantly, sounds like Overlander had an excellent time and I am sincerely happy for him when he does do outdoor things that he gets pleasure from doing. I also respect and appreciate his telling me I
"seriously need to get out and do some cool stuff".
As a kid, my father took me all across the country so I could see and do "cool stuff" and appreciate a lot of what this country has to offer. I like to think if I had kids, I would have followed in his foot steps in that regard.
As I am heading to becoming a senior citizen in the not too distant future, my hope is I will get to experience more "cool stuff" that I have not yet experienced.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My dad was a railroad/union guy. Worked his ass off. He got two weeks vacation per year that he would take in August. Our normal vacation was take Route 66 to LA to visit my Mom's brother and his family. We usually stopped off at attractions along the way. The Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest/Painted Desert etc. He would buy five to ten cases of Coors (not Coors Lite, there was no lite beer then) and he'd bootleg it in. No Coors in California at the time.

Once there we would go camping or up to their cabin in King's Canyon. Once we hit Yellowstone and camped there for a while. Driving from LA through the desert up to Tahoe then across the salt flats was some pretty cool stuff for a little kid. And of course, Yellowstone is amazing.

We've tried to do that with our kids, but the road trips haven't been as grand. Mrs. 99 just wants to go to a beach and hang, youngest daughter would just rather stay inside. Oldest daughter has really caught on to it and regularly camps hikes.
Broham
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:21 am We usually stopped off at attractions along the way. The Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest/Painted Desert etc.

Once there we would go camping or up to their cabin in King's Canyon. Once we hit Yellowstone and camped there for a while. Driving from LA through the desert up to Tahoe then across the salt flats was some pretty cool stuff for a little kid. And of course, Yellowstone is amazing.
My fam, 3 boys, mom, dad, would take the ol Ford Windstar from Kansas various routes up to Seattle - hitting up a lot of the places you mentioned. My memory is fairly faded ( bison and brown bear walking in front of us ) but I recall pieces of all of these trips and they were so so worth it and i'm very glad my parents forced us on em.
99 wrote:He would buy five to ten cases of Coors (not Coors Lite, there was no lite beer then) and he'd bootleg it in. No Coors in California at the time.
allsome
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:23 am
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:21 am We usually stopped off at attractions along the way. The Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest/Painted Desert etc.

My fam, 3 boys, mom, dad, would take the ol Ford Windstar from Kansas various routes up to Seattle - hitting up a lot of the places you mentioned. My memory is fairly faded ( bison and brown bear walking in front of us ) but I recall pieces of all of these trips and they were so so worth it and i'm very glad my parents forced us on em.
99 wrote:He would buy five to ten cases of Coors (not Coors Lite, there was no lite beer then) and he'd bootleg it in. No Coors in California at the time.
allsome
Over several summers, my dad would pick me up from camp and we'd do various eastern seaboard-ish road trips. Colonial Williamsburg, maybe, one year. Groton CT (where lots of our submarines are made) another. And so on. Anything from battlefields to skyscrapers.

Tomorrow night, I'll be picking my older daughter up from the same camp, and driving to ... Cleveland. Or, specifically, Sandusky, Ohio. This daughter is my only kid who loves giant roller coasters, so we're gonna head to Cedar Point and its 18 roller coasters.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:35 am

allsome
Over several summers, my dad would pick me up from camp and we'd do various eastern seaboard-ish road trips. Colonial Williamsburg, maybe, one year. Groton CT (where lots of our submarines are made) another. And so on. Anything from battlefields to skyscrapers.

Tomorrow night, I'll be picking my older daughter up from the same camp, and driving to ... Cleveland. Or, specifically, Sandusky, Ohio. This daughter is my only kid who loves giant roller coasters, so we're gonna head to Cedar Point and its 18 roller coasters.
Sweet
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

We used to pile into an old Volkswagen Westfalia Camper and head out from Kansas to go to Glacier or zyellowstone or the Grand Canyon..or even Maine once.

Cramped, camping the whole time, me sleeping on the floor of the managing.

loved those trips though. We just find a place to park on a side road, cook dinner and sleep. Got blocked in more than a few mornings by herds of free range cattle surrounding us. Good times.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dang gutman, I used to have a little whitewater raft for years. Had a modular frame on it to row (rather than paddle), plus front and rear decks to fish from. Ran the Upper Colorado a bunch.

If you're ever out west and wanna give it a try, lemme know, I still got buds with rafts/drift boats/other watercraft that can get down a river.

overland, how did you guys flip so much? Was it a guided trip? Did you get sideways on some rapids or something? Is there still that much whitewater?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:36 am

allsome

Sweet
We've talked, in this space, about how hilariously broken rental car systems are.

I'm picking a car up from Philadelphia tomorrow afternoon. I was set to return it to the Cleveland airport on Monday morning.

Because of some logistical concerns in KC, I need to come home Sunday night. Meaning I will be dropping the car off on Sunday night.

It is simply not possible to adjust the rental car reservation to accommodate the earlier return. Not for less money, but also not even for the same (or even more!) money. It is just not a thing that can be done.

And so, Hertz will be missing out on a day's revenue, because they WILL NOT LET ME tell them that they will have their car back a day earlier than their systems think.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

[quote=ousdahl post_id=415008 time=1723742647 user_id=72

overland, how did you guys flip so much? Was it a guided trip? Did you get sideways on some rapids or something? Is there still that much whitewater?
[/quote]

Well, our group was made up of people that work for our Bend Oregon store and my Camas Washington store. We are in the surf/ski/wakeboard business, so a lot of our employees are 20-30 year old adrenaline junkies.

Our guides asked us ahead of time if we wanted to go normal or go gonzo….obviously we went gonzo.

The guides had us going into rapids doing 360s…backwards….sideways, etc.

The sections of the river that we ran are on tribal land…they are required to run full level. And, the river has a LOT of drop through those sections. It runs pretty hard.

I just hired a guy who lost a son in that section 5 years ago. He and his friends jumped in to swim….tragic.

As for me, I can’t wait to get back!
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 1:54 pm

Sweet
We've talked, in this space, about how hilariously broken rental car systems are.

I'm picking a car up from Philadelphia tomorrow afternoon. I was set to return it to the Cleveland airport on Monday morning.

Because of some logistical concerns in KC, I need to come home Sunday night. Meaning I will be dropping the car off on Sunday night.

It is simply not possible to adjust the rental car reservation to accommodate the earlier return. Not for less money, but also not even for the same (or even more!) money. It is just not a thing that can be done.

And so, Hertz will be missing out on a day's revenue, because they WILL NOT LET ME tell them that they will have their car back a day earlier than their systems think.
This is why I highly recommend Turo.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:33 pm

Sweet

Not sure how many Turorors (?) would want me getting a car in Philadelphia and dropping it off in Cleveland.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:39 pm

Not sure how many Turorors (?) would want me getting a car in Philadelphia and dropping it off in Cleveland.
Oh, sorry…didn’t catch that.

Don’t take it personally, I have my Bulliett goggles on tonite
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:38 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:39 pm

Oh, sorry…didn’t catch that.

Don’t take it personally, I have my Bulliett goggles on tonite
No offense taken at all, the mental image of telling the car owner “oops I’m in Cleveland now” is a fun one.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

an 8-day trip to the ISS now looks like it’ll be 8 mo+

boeing…