COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
zsn
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by zsn »

100 k new cases today, nearly 1100 deaths.

Quite tragic for a disease that we were told would be gone on Nov 4 because it’s a media hoax.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Friend of a friend of mine......

Corey has to meet with his mom today about what they’re going to do about his formerly MAGA-hat-wearing, Trump-lovin’ anti-mask dad who hasn’t died yet, but has been on a ventilator for 2 weeks and drs say nows the time to decide what to do. He’s one of the numbers not quite yet in that “only 1%” death rate who could technically stay alive, but in a hospice with little ability to communicate & no “quality of life” for the rest of his years. His mom wants to move him to the facility and keep praying for a miracle. The Covid ward at OSU is full and they need the beds. (Ohio’s hospitals are the most full they’ve been since the first pandemic wave in March.) Corey’s mom had no idea that she wouldn’t be able to see him in the hospital all this time nor what was likely if he did survive because the two of them only consume misinformation from the internet & the Fox Channel. So Corey & his mom saw his dad for the first time laying in his bed with the vent on & unconscious, during a video conference with doctors yesterday. One of the saddest thing I’ve ever witnessed.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

That is sad gutter. I feel for the family.
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... r-biontech

90% effective. Color me skeptical. I hope is true I'm just not sure i believe that a rushed vaccine is more effective than vaccines with decades of research and trial. I think I'll wait for some real world results first, make sure its not polio vaccine part deux.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

TDub wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:12 am https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... r-biontech

90% effective. Color me skeptical. I hope is true I'm just not sure i believe that a rushed vaccine is more effective than vaccines with decades of research and trial. I think I'll wait for some real world results first, make sure its not polio vaccine part deux.
Ya. No chance i am rushing out to get my kids a vaccine for something that isn't deadly (relatively) to children.

My wife's cousin was a vaccine developer (part of a team obviously) and even she is very skeptical of how quickly they are rushing thru the process.

For essential healthcare workers and high risk individuals, absolutely get it....for people that can social distance and hopefully avoid getting covid in the first place (like me) i will take a wait and see approach for a bit.
Deleted User 310

What i do find sort of funny is that after months of hearing the president say "soon or within weeks" and then hearing CNN say no chance it'll be middle of 2021....now it is going to be by the end of December. Shocker? This thing has become such a political tool that it is sickening. 250k-ish lives lost is not a tool. The ton is instantly changing in the media. Suddenly the articles are mostly about hope and not doom and gloom.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Illy just isn’t smart. Nice person. Not smart
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Smart of Pfizer to wait until this election was over.

Trumpers REAL MAD right now.

LOL
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 310

Leawood wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:53 am Illy just isn’t smart. Nice person. Not smart

Thanks on the nice person part. I do like to think in general i am a nice person to most people.

I am probably not quite as dumb as you think, but definitely not "smart" when compared to a handful of the smartest people that post on here....which definitely isn't everyone that posts here. But sure. I don't pretend or claim to be as smart as everyone like the fishes and phds etc. I have said so numerous times.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

“ "This vaccine will be better accepted if our political leadership steps back now and lets the public health folks be the public face that talks about this vaccine to the general public," he said. "We're past the election now, and I would hope politicians would support public health rather than getting out in front of this."”

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 310

sdoyel wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:09 am Smart of Pfizer to wait until this election was over.

LOL
Trumpers don't care. Most won't get the vaccine anyway. Most still pack bars and restaurants (and dance classes?) every week right now while ignoring mask wearing and social distancing guidelines.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:09 am Smart of Pfizer to wait until this election was over.

LOL
Withholding vaccine during a public health crisis for political gain? Sounds like youre a Trumper

Flip the script and we'd have 97 tweets of outrage about it from you.
Last edited by TDub on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:46 am What i do find sort of funny is that after months of hearing the president say "soon or within weeks" and then hearing CNN say no chance it'll be middle of 2021....now it is going to be by the end of December. Shocker? This thing has become such a political tool that it is sickening. 250k-ish lives lost is not a tool. The ton is instantly changing in the media. Suddenly the articles are mostly about hope and not doom and gloom.
I am going to ask this question because I admit I am thoroughly confused.
Trump repeatedly said a vaccine is coming soon.
Jr. is now tweeting this shit -
"The timing of this is pretty amazing. Nothing nefarious about the timing of this at all right?"
He added a face with rolling eyes emoji.
So does he even know if he is coming or going? His head is spinning so fast these days he continues to make himself be seen as a clueless asshole on a minute by minute basis - and he's getting off on it.

He just tweeted this - "I do I do. Turns out it’s only deranged sociopaths on the left that burn down cities when they don’t get their way".
These fuckers (the Trumps) are STILL trying their best to DIVIDE the country as much as possible - and do it in a manner which PROVES they are completely clueless/ignorant.
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:20 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:46 am What i do find sort of funny is that after months of hearing the president say "soon or within weeks" and then hearing CNN say no chance it'll be middle of 2021....now it is going to be by the end of December. Shocker? This thing has become such a political tool that it is sickening. 250k-ish lives lost is not a tool. The tone is instantly changing in the media. Suddenly the articles are mostly about hope and not doom and gloom.
I am going to ask this question because I admit I am thoroughly confused.
Trump repeatedly said a vaccine is coming soon.
Jr. is now tweeting this shit -
"The timing of this is pretty amazing. Nothing nefarious about the timing of this at all right?"
He added a face with rolling eyes emoji.
So does he even know if he is coming or going? His head is spinning so fast these days he continues to make himself be seen as a clueless asshole on a minute by minute basis - and he's getting off on it.

He just tweeted this - "I do I do. Turns out it’s only deranged sociopaths on the left that burn down cities when they don’t get their way".
These fuckers (the Trumps) are STILL trying their best to DIVIDE the country as much as possible - and do it in a manner which PROVES they are completely clueless/ignorant.
I blame Trump for his fair share absolutely...i was simply talking about the media in that particular post

I don't really see why i would blame trump jr. I don't follow him on twitter because he is an idiot. He is also not the president....but he certainly doesn't help his followers be any more reasonable that is for sure.

As far as the divide, the trumps aren't forcing anyone to be hateful. That is their own choice. It is why the sudden calls for unity give some an eyeroll. All the hate from each side the last 4 years was not because trump made them say mean things to each other. It is because the people doing it are hateful. Right or wrong, nobody makes you be something you're not. You choose that.

Kindness doesn't begin and end with the president. The president doesn't have the power to make you hateful towards others.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

No kidding. Internet deviants and malcontents were internet deviants and malcontents before dt. They will be internet deviants and malcontents after.

In fact the liberals on this board have gotten meaner since the election. Can’t blame dt for that.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:33 am No kidding. Internet deviants and malcontents were internet deviants and malcontents before dt. They will be internet deviants and malcontents after.

In fact the liberals on this board have gotten meaner since the election. Can’t blame dt for that.
EMAW!

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Leawood wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:53 am Illy just isn’t smart. Nice person. Not smart
Yep.
Deleted User 310

Endorsed by the board genius.

I will count that as an almost win!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Vaccine announcements were being made in the weeks leading up to the election and months prior to that. There have been new announcements on an almost weekly basis. I served on a biosafety committee to review a clinical trial for a vaccine in July...these things have been in the works. There's been a big push to get these out ASAP and the goal has always been late 2020 to early 2021. If you'd told someone in July that an announcement was going to be made the second week of November, no one would have thought that was weird.

I think you're reading too much into the timing of this announcement. I don't think it's politically motivated.

This is GREAT news, not sure why it needs to have the stink of politics applied to it. We should be celebrating the science, not arguing the politics.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.