Chiefs 2023

Kansas Football.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Chiefs 2023

Post by Sparko »

I get that New England is happy. But that was some poor play by 19.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Moore and Toney are both gadget players with elite fumbling tendencies
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I am hoping that Kadarius Toney has a David McCormack story arc and ends up making the pivotal play that wins KC a Super Bowl.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Except DMac was actually one of our better players and was unfairly shat on by our fans.

Kadarius has just been awful.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Toney has jukeability. When he doesn't fumble or drop passes.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Sparko wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:58 pm Toney has jukeability, often causing him to fumble or drop passes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don’t know whether it’s a physical issue or a mental issue or some of both.

I do know it doesn’t matter.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Chiefs Patrick Mahomes throws lefty & lines up in W at Patriots "that was sweet"

“That was sweet,” said Mahomes, who guessed that hadn't lined up with his hand on the turf since running the 40-yard dash at the NFL combine before he was drafted seven years ago. “That play was awesome. That’s a hard team to score on in the red zone. One of the best.”

Kansas City quarterback PATRICK MAHOMES passed for 305 yards and two touchdowns in the Chiefs' 27-17 win at New England with Taylor Swift at the game cheering on teammate Travis Kelce and the Chiefs

Mahomes, currently in his seventh season, has 45 career games with at least 300 passing yards, tied with MATT RYAN (45 games) for the most such games by a player in his first 10 career seasons in NFL history.

Mahomes has 217 touchdown passes in 94 career games, tied with Pro Football Hall of Famer DAN MARINO (217 touchdown passes) for the most touchdown passes by a player in his first 100 career games in NFL history.

“When you're as close as the AFC is right now, wins are hard to get. And they’re important,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said, noting that New England (3-11) has lost seven games by one score. “This Patriots team is so close. They’re doing a nice job with their defense. They’re salty.”
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I don't see the Ravens falling out of the 1 seed now that they whipped the Jags. They can lose @Niners and still control their own destiny now. Mahomes might get a shot at his first road playoff game if KC makes it that far.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As soon as JFish told me those Vegas odds, I jumped on them.

I agree - I think they are the 1.
They'll have a test in Miami but I think that comes after a 9ers whupping and they'll be locked in to finish 2-0.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/ ... arterbacks

The Chiefs finally found a wide receiver they can trust
The guy we're talking about is rookie Rashee Rice, the 55th overall pick in this year's draft. Rice had nine catches (on nine targets) for 91 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' get-right victory over the Patriots on Sunday in Foxborough. He's averaging 9.5 targets and eight catches per game over the Chiefs' past four games, and he has caught a touchdown pass in three of them. On the season, Patrick Mahomes is completing 80% of his passes when throwing to Rice. When he targets any other WR, that drops to 57%....And in a year when the Chiefs have struggled to find anything consistent from their wide receiver corps, Rice is starting to look like someone they might be able to count on down the stretch."

"Verdict: OVERREACTION
It's tempting to seize on anything positive, considering the way this season has gone for Kansas City at the wide receiver position. But Rice didn't play anything resembling a flawless game Sunday. He committed a crucial penalty that killed a Chiefs drive in the first quarter, and he also had what likely would have been a fumble had the Patriots challenged the call...the Chiefs still don't have much they can fully trust in the passing game outside of tight end Travis Kelce."

I disagree.
I think Rice is the only guy you can fully trust in the passing game ( maybe beyond Noah Gray - dunno why he's not used more ) outside of Travis Kelce.
And also I'm not even sure the author watched the game. The 'crucial penalty' was some grade A horseshit and his fumble, while certainly a mistake, was clearly recovered by him.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:02 am https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/ ... arterbacks

The Chiefs finally found a wide receiver they can trust
The guy we're talking about is rookie Rashee Rice, the 55th overall pick in this year's draft. Rice had nine catches (on nine targets) for 91 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' get-right victory over the Patriots on Sunday in Foxborough. He's averaging 9.5 targets and eight catches per game over the Chiefs' past four games, and he has caught a touchdown pass in three of them. On the season, Patrick Mahomes is completing 80% of his passes when throwing to Rice. When he targets any other WR, that drops to 57%....And in a year when the Chiefs have struggled to find anything consistent from their wide receiver corps, Rice is starting to look like someone they might be able to count on down the stretch."

"Verdict: OVERREACTION
It's tempting to seize on anything positive, considering the way this season has gone for Kansas City at the wide receiver position. But Rice didn't play anything resembling a flawless game Sunday. He committed a crucial penalty that killed a Chiefs drive in the first quarter, and he also had what likely would have been a fumble had the Patriots challenged the call...the Chiefs still don't have much they can fully trust in the passing game outside of tight end Travis Kelce."

I disagree.
I think Rice is the only guy you can fully trust in the passing game ( maybe beyond Noah Gray - dunno why he's not used more ) outside of Travis Kelce.
And also I'm not even sure the author watched the game. The 'crucial penalty' was some grade A horseshit and his fumble, while certainly a mistake, was clearly recovered by him.
Agree 100%.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I read that same thing and thought the same as you. Feels like lazy reporting trying to figure out a way to balance their "Overreactions" with their "Not an overreaction" count vs. actually analyzing what they say.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If there's any of our skill guys you would want to get the ball to more consistently it would be Rashee Rice.

He's a rookie. He's made a number of drops, yes, but it feels recently he's been better in that department, and when he gets the ball it feels like an automatic 5+ yards.

If there's a silver lining to this piss poor WR season, it's that we have him for the next four years on a late 2nd round rookie contract.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:22 am If there's any of our skill guys you would want to get the ball to more consistently it would be Rashee Rice.

He's a rookie. He's made a number of drops, yes, but it feels recently he's been better in that department, and when he gets the ball it feels like an automatic 5+ yards.

If there's a silver lining to this piss poor WR season, it's that we have him for the next four years on a late 2nd round rookie contract.
It shouldn't surprise anyone if only two of 2024's top-five Chiefs passcatchers are even on the roster at the moment.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Having been a Chiefs fan for 50 years, I have some long term perspective.

We have hosted the AFC Championship game for 5 years running now and been to three Super Bowls in that time. Best run of any sports team in KC during my tenure. This year we will likely have to win a playoff game on the road. We have what seems to be one of the better Chief's defensive groups of this run. In a couple of weeks they start playing for the trophy. Every team will be one injury away from the end of their season. We have the only QB who I ever saw win a SB while hopping around on one leg. The playoffs might be even more fun to watch this year. little dave showed up in his big boy pants for the 2022 NCAA Tourney so anything can happen.

All that said, if Moore and Toney don't come back next year I won't be sad.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No doubt on perspective.
We've been the best team in the NFL since Mahomes got the starting gig.
I remember going 2-14 with Thigpen as our starting QB...so yes, we are fortunate right now.

It's just frustrating that even your casual fan knew this wouldn't work ( coming in with these guys as your WR core..or is it corps ) and wanted some sort of signing ( Hopkins, Thielen etc ) and now you're left behind the 8 ball when it could have been solved.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:57 am No doubt on perspective.
We've been the best team in the NFL since Mahomes got the starting gig.
I remember going 2-14 with Thigpen as our starting QB...so yes, we are fortunate right now.

It's just frustrating that even your casual fan knew this wouldn't work ( coming in with these guys as your WR core..or is it corps ) and wanted some sort of signing ( Hopkins, Thielen etc ) and now you're left behind the 8 ball when it could have been solved.
It's sort of amazing to consider:

Lions - Toney pick-6 (among others)
Broncos - Skyy end-zone drop
Eagles - MVS end-zone drop
Packers - Rice fumble
Bills - Toney offsides; Watson drop

It's not accurate to say the WRs are responsible for each of the five losses. But nor would it be accurate to say they're NOT.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mahomes reaction after Toney didn't catch the pass thrown right at him during the Pats game is very telling.

He has to be so very frustrated - being that good and that competitive and having to stick up for his dudes - but them still, figuratively/literally dropping the ball.

https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/statu ... 9317997053
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:56 am Mahomes reaction after Toney didn't catch the pass thrown right at him during the Pats game is very telling.

He has to be so very frustrated - being that good and that competitive and having to stick up for his dudes - but them still, figuratively/literally dropping the ball.

https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/statu ... 9317997053
Put E85 in a Ferrari and it will probably make some fucked up noises.