Post by pdub »

Not far.
We go maybe twice a year.
It’s great in December.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:58 pm Not far.
We go maybe twice a year.
It’s great in December.
This was why I asked....
My buddy has spent a decent portion of his summer in Maine.
He took and posted these last night...

He took and posted these before those.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Went to Hannibal, Mo this week Friday night before KU game…then Champaign for game Saturday, stayed in Decatur overnight, and back to Hannibal Sunday u Tim yesterday morning.

Hannibal seemed cutesy and all (all mark Twain tourist stuff, cute downtown, adjacent to Mississippi River, etc…made for a nice walk Saturday morning…

But visited with 6 other dudes that all worked at Molly McGee’s circa ‘92-onward. Such a good time sitting around spinning nostalgia, smoking weed, eating too much food.

Recommend such trips for anyone who has such a group of folks. Just make it happen, there’s never time for any of us.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:49 pm Went to Hannibal, Mo this week Friday night before KU game…then Champaign for game Saturday, stayed in Decatur overnight, and back to Hannibal Sunday u Tim yesterday morning.

Hannibal seemed cutesy and all (all mark Twain tourist stuff, cute downtown, adjacent to Mississippi River, etc…made for a nice walk Saturday morning…

But visited with 6 other dudes that all worked at Molly McGee’s circa ‘92-onward. Such a good time sitting around spinning nostalgia, smoking weed, eating too much food.

Recommend such trips for anyone who has such a group of folks. Just make it happen, there’s never time for any of us.
Decatur is a shit hole. Hopefully your hotel was in Forsyth.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I got to my hotel at 2345, left @ 0645. Priceline said Decatur. Was right off i72. It was dark. I ate a bag of sun chips from a vending machine, brushed my tooth, washed my face, and passed out.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:28 pm brushed my tooth
Why?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Overlander wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:08 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:28 pm brushed my tooth
Why?
Social mores.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Boeing strike. Let's see how it affects those planning on flying Thanksgiving and Christmas time. Even if they resolve it fairly quickly, it has to have some impact. Right?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:37 am Boeing strike. Let's see how it affects those planning on flying Thanksgiving and Christmas time. Even if they resolve it fairly quickly, it has to have some impact. Right?
why would it?

are airlines waiting for new planes?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:54 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:37 am Boeing strike. Let's see how it affects those planning on flying Thanksgiving and Christmas time. Even if they resolve it fairly quickly, it has to have some impact. Right?
why would it?

how many current planes are being taken out of service weekly?/monthly?

how many current planes are grounded due to Boeings ineptitude?

if Boeings on strike the grounded planes aren't getting fixed and the old planes aren't getting replaced.

The plants crank out planes all year long, they must be going somewhere
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

why would it?

I didn't know the definitive answers to either of your questions so I just looked them up.
SUPPOSEDLY it will not impact "commercial flights". Probably ok for the short term but I'm not sure I buy that for the long term. What if replacement parts are needed?
As far as your second question, I just read both American and United have put in large orders for Boeing planes but it seems the deliveries were not expected this year.

* I just read TDub's post. He raises good questions. I think. Maybe I shouldn't think?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:19 am
why would it?

if Boeings on strike the grounded planes aren't getting fixed and the old planes aren't getting replaced.

i wasn’t aware that boeing maintains all their planes that are in service
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:28 am
TDub wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:19 am
why would it?

i wasn’t aware that boeing maintains all their planes that are in service
they make the replacement parts
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Another reason to vote pro-union.

Every time I'm reminded that flight attendants are only being paid when the plane's doors are shut, I'm gobsmacked, again.

American Airlines flight attendants will now get paid for boarding time

Many flight attendants are paid only when plane doors are shut. The airline’s attendants are now the “first unionized workgroup to lock in pay for boarding,” the AFPA said.
Derek Cressman
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:26 am
why would it?

I didn't know the definitive answers to either of your questions so I just looked them up.
SUPPOSEDLY it will not impact "commercial flights". Probably ok for the short term but I'm not sure I buy that for the long term. What if replacement parts are needed?
As far as your second question, I just read both American and United have put in large orders for Boeing planes but it seems the deliveries were not expected this year.

* I just read TDub's post. He raises good questions. I think. Maybe I shouldn't think?
Most likely to affect spring/summer travel. Once planes are built, they go through “rigorous” certification procedures and then get delivered. This likely takes a few months. Thus, aircraft expecting to enter service for this year’s holiday travel have already been made and being certified.

I don’t know if the strike affects parts production. I thought most parts were subcontracted. Speaking of which, I was coming back from France about 15 years ago and there was a temporary worldwide grounding of all B777 aircraft due to some issue with a sensor in the fire suppression system. I happened to be connecting in Frankfurt to SF on a B777. Had to be rerouted on a different airline through two airports. This would be a likely scenario.

Note: I used “rigorous” in quotes relating to certification because the industry dictates what goes on with regulators that who knows how rigorous it is anymore.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Boeing strike to slow down Ryanair's growth plans: CEO Michael O’Leary

Ryanair (NASDAQ:RYAAY) chief executive Michael O’Leary said on Saturday that an extended Boeing (NYSE:BA) workers' strike could reduce the number of aircraft it receives by next summer to 20 from an expected 25.

The Irish carrier had expected to receive 30 aircraft from the U.S. planemaker by the summer of 2025, which has now been reduced to 25, and could be further cut to 20 if the strike continues for three to four weeks, said O’Leary.

O’Leary added that the low-cost airline, one of Boeing's (BA) biggest customers, was supposed to receive 50 aircraft before the summer of 2024, but only received 35.

In an interview with Ireland's Newstalk, O’Leary said that the airline had to slow its growth for the year. While Ryanair (RYAAY) had originally planned to carry 205 million passengers in 2024, it now anticipates ferrying 200 million.

According to O’Leary, Ryanair now buys "more aircraft from Boeing than any other airline anywhere in the world." Last year, the carrier placed an order for 300 new Boeing 737-MAX-10 aircraft.

Last week, about 33,000 members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) voted 96% in favor of the strike. The rejected contract included a 25% raise over four years.

This strike adds to the already turbulent times at Boeing (BA) after such recent incidents as a much-publicized emergency exit blowout, the departure of the firm's CEO and Senate hearings.

"I have no doubt that Boeing will fix this strike," O'Leary said in the interview." "It may take a number of weeks."

O'Leary expects it will take Boeing (BA) two to three years to get back on track. "All of Boeing customers are suffering from delayed deliveries," he added.
Derek Cressman