Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Post by pdub »

"Wilt is an exceptional example"

He changed the rules of basketball.
I'm not saying it didn't happen.
But i'm also saying it didn't always happen. For every team and player at Kansas.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

The only people that didn't get paid a dime that played a significant role were probably the walk-ons that exceeded expectations or the local guys that wanted to play for Kansas because it was their favorite team growing up.

College athletics has been a sham in terms of purity for over 50 years and it isn't changing. It's just becoming more well known.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:11 pm "Wilt is an exceptional example"

He changed the rules of basketball.
I'm not saying it didn't happen.
But i'm also saying it didn't always happen. For every team and player at Kansas.
are all of our current players getting paid?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we attract the top players. the top players at every position. if hd is getting 2 mil per. what is total payroll for the team.

if this is allowed to continue. and every season we are pulling in the top players at every position. total payroll is gonna be in the millions.

i guess it is just some rich dudes money. not mine. so what do i care.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Much more likely yes.
And some paid close to or over one million dollars.
And in doing so the shift of why players are playing at Kansas leans exponentially ( see subject of thread and his comments ) to monetary reasons which then changes a cracking amateur system to professional sports.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the pig is out of the barn. i don't think you are getting it back in.

of the two. the portal is the bigger villian. in my mind.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i actually agree with mich on this

the portal is exacerbating NIL issues
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:43 pm the pig is out of the barn. i don't think you are getting it back in.

of the two. the portal is the bigger villian. in my mind.
Oh, no doubt.
That pig is fat and getting fatter.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Take it to the SCOTUS thread, I guess.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:53 pm i actually agree with mich on this

I think so, too. But I’m hoping it’ll find its level, just like OAD-seeking did/has.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:54 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:52 am Wow, foregoing your Certified Amateur status for 3 dollars an hour, what courage!
I would also accept free room and board and courses and flights around the US to network and show off my work and have some of the best designers and coders teaching me and free publicity and a living stipend.

In fact, i'd prefer that over my 3 dollars an hour.
So you can “show off (your) work,” but should maybe call it something besides “work,” right?

Or “show off” anything involving your name, image, or likeness?

Help me with this hot take pls
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:45 pm

I think so, too. But I’m hoping it’ll find its level, just like OAD-seeking did/has.
Meh, again, I dunno if it’s exacerbating it, or just saying it out loud.

I mean, why else did Deandre Daniels make a last second commit to UConn, etc.
Last edited by ousdahl on Wed May 10, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:59 am You can believe that every player on KU from whenever you started watching was getting paid cash under the table.

I don't think that is true.

And in this case, you would need to provide the evidence that it wasn't true. Not the other way around. Unless guilty until proven innocent etc.
I can appreciate the logic here.

But, there are, and have been, plenty of examples of players getting paid, both recently and historically.

Your argument still comes down to “I don’t think that’s true…”

It’s the exact same counterpoint your little brother offers when you point out that Santa’s handwriting looks exactly like mom’s.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:50 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:45 pm

Meh, again, I dunno if it’s exacerbating it, or just saying it out loud.

I mean, why else did Deandre Daniels make a last second commit to UConn, etc.
I think it’s two discrete but related issues - compensation and freedom of movement - that go into what we’re seeing: a fundamental rebalancing of the relationship among players, coaches, schools and the sport generally.

The sport had a chance to address this stuff in an orderly fashion…but chose to wait until the changes were forced on it all at once.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

Forced upon them by the Supreme Court.

Cuz what better authority could there possibly be on things like, impermissible benefits?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:54 pm
pdub wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:59 am You can believe that every player on KU from whenever you started watching was getting paid cash under the table.

And in this case, you would need to provide the evidence that it wasn't true. Not the other way around. Unless guilty until proven innocent etc.

But, there are, and have been, plenty of examples of players getting paid, both recently and historically.

It’s the exact same counterpoint your little brother offers when you point out that Santa’s handwriting looks exactly like mom’s.
You're taking the guilty til innocent approach or manipulating the burden of proof.
It's randyesque.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:49 pm
pdub wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:54 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:52 am Wow, foregoing your Certified Amateur status for 3 dollars an hour, what courage!
I would also accept free room and board and courses and flights around the US to network and show off my work and have some of the best designers and coders teaching me and free publicity and a living stipend.

In fact, i'd prefer that over my 3 dollars an hour.
So you can “show off (your) work,” but should maybe call it something besides “work,” right?

Or “show off” anything involving your name, image, or likeness?

Help me with this hot take pls
"but should maybe call it something besides “work,” right?"

This is a poor gotchya as my work refers to the code.
Kinda like a basketball player might say, "doin' work today."
And even if the work referred to my actual work, it's still a poor gotchya because college students ( and interns ) all over the world work for things other than cash.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:39 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:54 pm

You're taking the guilty til innocent approach or manipulating the burden of proof.
It's randyesque.
actually bro, the randyesque approach is to ignore all the evidence at hand.

so here's some evidence!

Wilt says boosters paid him to play in the 50s. KU is currently still under investigation over impermissible payments to Silvio and Billy, plus vague texts about Zion, who was also alleged to have received multiple cars and a house at Dook. Darnell Jackson sat out cuz of money from a booster. Josh Selby sat out cuz ribs. Didn't Larry Brown get busted for like buying a ticket for a player to go attend his grandma's funeral?Sean Miller sat cuz he was on wire tap discussing six figures for Ayton. Bill Walton said when he was at UCLA the only team in the city with a bigger payroll was the Lakers. Marcus Camby took so much money from agents that Cal's Final Four at UMass officially never even happened. How many Ohio St football players had to sit out cuz they got the hookup on ink. I've shared the story here about my fishing buddy's cousin, a women's basketball player for a directional Kentucky school in the 80s, who says she was getting paid.

...there's just a few examples off the top of my head - spanning across eras, across sports, men's and women's, involving a tasty sampler of different benefits made available.

but, again, I can appreciate the logic. Unless a kid was caught redhanded getting paid, then assume they never got paid, or or ever accepted one single impermissible benefit of any kind, they paid for all that ink themself.

but, does that logic seem to suggest - those who DID get paid were just a few bad apples, only outliers, and not at all indicative of some broader systemic issue?

and, since there IS so much evidence against your case - that "it didn't always happen" - then could you at least provide some evidence that it didn't?

Is there any old geezer era player on record like "yea some crooked looking fan offered me a burlap sack full of sawbucks but I said no way man, I do it for the love of the game!

or like, "yea after the first game, coach offered us the peaches that were in the basket he just cut the bottom off of, and we replied, 'but we mustn't! God Save The Rules!'"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

...sorry, that got kinda tdlr.

awful lotta words for some meh punchlines.

It was either that, or something about how the only NIL should be for bbq and ink.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

If KU gets Mbako and cruises to a national championship say, I expect NCAA to start talking about salary caps to maintain some sort of parity.