The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by ousdahl »

Overlander wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:42 pm Get a fucking productive, motivating and real life?
Just a friendly reminder - this is the great outdoors thread.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Nobody cares about your made up stories. Regardless of which thread. Or your friendly advice.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Overlander wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:09 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:08 pm

Seems the varmints is smarter, more productive and more motivated than me.
This was funny.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:41 am ‘Absolutely incredible’: Man rowing solo across Atlantic is surrounded by whales

Tom Waddington is on a quest to row across the Atlantic Ocean all by himself — but on Sunday, he found plenty of company at sea, when a pod of pilot whales thronged around him. They followed him for hours, growing from a few playful animals to hundreds of large creatures. At least one smacked into his small boat.

The whales popped their heads above the surface and seemed to play together — a gam of whales, gadding about — as Waddington, who is rowing some 2,000 miles from the Newfoundland coast to Penzance, in the United Kingdom, watched in amazement.

[...]
good post! Thanks for sharing, Shirley. Bummed I didn't see it sooner.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Car carrying 5 people runs off road and into a hot geyser pool in Yellowstone

i mean…how?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

finally outsmarted the varmints!

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TIL human beings can see more shades of green than any other color.

Apparently some evolutionary advantage developed from being able to differentiate various foliage in the great outdoors thread
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Our strawberry plant had it's best year since we've been here and i'm thinking our cat does a decent job keeping critters away for the daylight hours.

It's done producing but we got 50 plus strawberries.

Our is in a raised bed so that probably helps too.
I don't know how you'd keep critters from eating wild strawberries off the ground sans building some sort of cage/screen.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

my to do list is ridiculous at the moment. But, I think this weekend I'll make some wax dirt, get that done and ready for winter.

I'm gonna try and hit the coyote trails hard this fall. I'm down 3 cats since may. My good mousers are gone, the ones left are the fat lazy cats that don't hunt. Welfare cats ha
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:10 am my to do list is ridiculous at the moment. But, I think this weekend I'll make some wax dirt, get that done and ready for winter.

I'm gonna try and hit the coyote trails hard this fall. I'm down 3 cats since may. My good mousers are gone, the ones left are the fat lazy cats that don't hunt. Welfare cats ha
Peat moss would be easier.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:52 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:10 am my to do list is ridiculous at the moment. But, I think this weekend I'll make some wax dirt, get that done and ready for winter.

Peat moss would be easier.
easier maybe...but moss doesn't bed very well. I also prefer using local dirt so the scents are right and everything looks and feels more natural. There's no peat moss around here so it feels out of place and can cause them to tread lightly around the trap instead of committing.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

How do you go about getting some new mouser cats?
Is it a drop-in at the local shelter and kinda look one in the eye and test it's resolve?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:37 pm How do you go about getting some new mouser cats?
Is it a drop-in at the local shelter and kinda look one in the eye and test it's resolve?
that's a good question. I got these because there is a Feral cat that came with the place when I moved in. He's a badass, he's been around for 10+ years as far as anyone knows, never comes inside, hunts and avoids the predators.

Anyway, his name is Ghost. he knocked up my female cat (who also happened to be a damn good hunter, by pure chance). Of the babies we kept 3, gave away 3. 2 of those were fantastic mousers. One is lazy, the uncle is also lazy. The mom disappeared first, then one of the mousers, then last weekend the other hunter disappeared. I thinknhe got chased off by his dad, they were not friends. But he hasn't returned and I assume he either ran off or succumbed to the local packs....or hawks or owls.

now I have 2 lazy fat asses. They're cool cats, but they aren't hunters.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd say craigslist but I don't think feral cats go on there that often.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm sure ill end up with more cats....they aren't hard to find

I actually don't like cats very much, but if you don't keep them inside and just let them do their thing, they sure are a useful animal to have on patrol out here
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:37 pm How do you go about getting some new mouser cats?
maybe bring a laser pointer, or a feather-on-a-stick sort of cat toy, and see which ones will give chase
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Go to an ‘exotic’ pet store and buy a bunch of mice. Let them loose inside. If your cat brings em to ya, you are good to go. If not, ooops.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Our cat catches maybe 5 mice a week that we can see ( brings them to the front or back door ).

I just wish he wouldn’t also catch birds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's been cold and rainy here all summer. Plus my backyard does not get a lot of sun on the best days. My mater plants are looking anemic but I still have some fruit set. Might get a dozen or so tomatoes.

GD rabbits are eating my chile plants. They don't seem to like the tobasco plant, I may get a few of those.
Trust me bro
shindig

Post by shindig »

I have a Ragdoll cat that's 2.5 and she is the biggest wimp. About the only thing she kills are crickets. I caught a mouse in my basement in a snap trap and I showed it to her and she ran off meowing...lol.

And I have a ton of rabbits in my neighborhood. They are always eating my grass/weeds in my front yard and have pretty much eliminated everything in one section. I gave up trying to chase them off. It's either rabbits, squirrels or chipmunks tearing up my grass.