Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:26 am
We're not being asked to leave our families for 2 or 3 years and storm the beaches at Normandy to possibly die. We're not being ordered to deploy to Afghanistan or Iraq for the 2nd, or 3rd, or...th, time. We absolutely have be willing to do what we can to put an end to this as soon as possible. We should hope and pray that a "lockdown" is even enough. And while it might already be somewhat late, with pandemics, the goal is always to overshoot, because the penalty for failure to do so is likely too extreme not to.
This is the thing that I still can't quite wrap my head around. Granted, this situation is not all that unusual for me -- although it couldn't have come at a more awkward/inconvenient moment.
Still, MOST of us are being asked to hang out at home. That's it. The idea that this is somehow a huge sacrifice kinda blows my mind.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but our daycare...expanded to allow school-age kids in while schools are closed. I get that parents might need to work, still, but - guh, that makes things worse.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:50 am
We're not being asked to leave our families for 2 or 3 years and storm the beaches at Normandy to possibly die. We're not being ordered to deploy to Afghanistan or Iraq for the 2nd, or 3rd, or...th, time. We absolutely have be willing to do what we can to put an end to this as soon as possible. We should hope and pray that a "lockdown" is even enough. And while it might already be somewhat late, with pandemics, the goal is always to overshoot, because the penalty for failure to do so is likely too extreme not to.
This is the thing that I still can't quite wrap my head around. Granted, this situation is not all that unusual for me -- although it couldn't have come at a more awkward/inconvenient moment.
Still, MOST of us are being asked to hang out at home. That's it. The idea that this is somehow a huge sacrifice kinda blows my mind.
Thankfully what I do for a living, in this current incarnation, can be done from home. I see no real difference other than social interactions and I agree with your sentiment above. However, for many leaving home is a requirement for earning a living - Uber/Lyft drivers, restaurant waitstaff, bartenders, landscape workers, house cleaners, store clerks etc. For them it IS a huge sacrifice. Not saying that it is unnecessary but I can see how life is exceptionally difficult for them
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:58 am
Thankfully what I do for a living, in this current incarnation, can be done from home. I see no real difference other than social interactions and I agree with your sentiment above. However, for many leaving home is a requirement for earning a living - Uber/Lyft drivers, restaurant waitstaff, bartenders, landscape workers, house cleaners, store clerks etc. For them it IS a huge sacrifice. Not saying that it is unnecessary but I can see how life is exceptionally difficult for them
Yes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I am heartened to see this.

‘Incredibly distressing’: Local leaders break with Trump on relaxing COVID-19 efforts

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 71966.html
Asked about Trump’s proposed Easter timeline on a video conference Tuesday afternoon, Kansas Department of Health and Environment Secretary Lee Norman was incredulous.

“Did he say what calendar year?” Norman said.

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas, who issued the metro’s first emergency declaration and ordered residents to stay home starting Tuesday, called the president’s shifting message “incredibly distressing,” particularly because he had been “starting to recognize the crisis.”

[...]

“I also know that if people die, I can’t bring them back,” Lucas said. “And so that’s why we take these sorts of steps because now from what we’re hearing from medical doctors, not just from game show hosts, is that this is the way that we can actually make some great difference in life outcomes for our community.”

There was also pushback from a staunch Trump ally, Republican Missouri Gov. Mike Parson, who dismissed the idea that restrictions put in place to slow the COVID-19 outbreak will be lifted anytime soon.

“I hope the president is right,” Parson said Tuesday of Trump’s earlier remarks, “but the reality is we are planning this much longer than two weeks here in the state of Missouri.”
Most important (for a lot of reasons) is obviously Parson. I truly am heartened that he is prepared to give Trump's "go back to work" order the (zero) deference it deserves.
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

Easter/Passover/Holy Week is going to be a huge test for this country.

We were supposed to host Easter this year, and we shut that down about two weeks ago. But my wife and I are not religious, so it's not an issue for us.

I can see a ton of people, right when this thing is supposed to peak as of now, justify to themselves, "I've been home last three weeks, no one I know has been ill, this is the perfect time to gather around my family."
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

What’s the longest you’ve ever spent alone? A few hours? A day or two? Was it of your own volition?

The only people I talk to who think the shelter-in-place orders are no big deal are those who have no clue what a living hell thirty days alone is in reality.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

zsn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:58 am
Most of those are all still up and running during lockdown, at least around here.

Feel really bad for those people out of work over this.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I live with my wife, but it is house arrest without the bracelet. There just aren't many places to go.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:31 pm
What’s the longest you’ve ever spent alone? A few hours? A day or two? Was it of your own volition?

The only people I talk to who think the shelter-in-place orders are no big deal are those who have no clue what a living hell thirty days alone is in reality.
Sheltering in place, with a house, a yard, an active job and a family of five, is not terribly oppressive.

My 23-year-old sister-in-law, who lives by herself in a 700 square foot apartment, is I'm sure having a much more difficult time.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Saw way more people out for "walks" last evening downtown. Nearly all keeping acceptable social distance. One group of young females just chatting, though. Strange times.

I will again say to watch the numbers out of East Asia. They're like 95% back to their normal lives. Bars and restaurants alive. Hope there's no second spike, but seems a little inevitable.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

^^^^^^^^^^
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:31 pm]

It's hard for everyone and their families to do this because it's such an anomaly. I'm a social kind of guy but because I'm compromised by my age, I focus on maintaining a virus free environment at home and, outside of making business calls, I work in my shop and do minor maintenance on my home. I consider myself very fortunate that I don't have to be on the job to continue to make an income.

As an answer to your question, I spent five months on the Pacific ocean with three other crewmates on a 65-foot ketch sailing back from Hawaii to San Diego. Initially I enjoyed the company, but after a month or so, even while conversing with the rest of the crew, it was like I was on the ship alone.
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

defixione wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:57 pm As an answer to your question, I spent five months on the Pacific ocean with three other crewmates on a 65-foot ketch sailing back from Hawaii to San Diego.
This is a story I would like to hear if you ever feel like sharing.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I've considered sharing my story but never felt the time, on this bored, was right. That may change in another week. I'll even post a TLDR version.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:18 pm I am heartened to see this.

‘Incredibly distressing’: Local leaders break with Trump on relaxing COVID-19 efforts

Asked about Trump’s proposed Easter timeline on a video conference Tuesday afternoon, Kansas Department of Health and Environment Secretary Lee Norman was incredulous.

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas, who issued the metro’s first emergency declaration and ordered residents to stay home starting Tuesday, called the president’s shifting message “incredibly distressing,” particularly because he had been “starting to recognize the crisis.”

[...]

“I also know that if people die, I can’t bring them back,” Lucas said. “And so that’s why we take these sorts of steps because now from what we’re hearing from medical doctors, not just from game show hosts, is that this is the way that we can actually make some great difference in life outcomes for our community.”

There was also pushback from a staunch Trump ally, Republican Missouri Gov. Mike Parson, who dismissed the idea that restrictions put in place to slow the COVID-19 outbreak will be lifted anytime soon.

“I hope the president is right,” Parson said Tuesday of Trump’s earlier remarks, “but the reality is we are planning this much longer than two weeks here in the state of Missouri.”
Most important (for a lot of reasons) is obviously Parson. I truly am heartened that he is prepared to give Trump's "go back to work" order the (zero) deference it deserves.
lulz @ "deadline."
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:44 pm

Sheltering in place, with a house, a yard, an active job and a family of five, is not terribly oppressive.

My 23-year-old sister-in-law, who lives by herself in a 700 square foot apartment, is I'm sure having a much more difficult time.
Yup. If I had a family of five, I’d probably be a lot less stressed. As it stands, I’m much closer to your sister’s predicament.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 pm

Yup. If I had a family of five, I’d probably be a lot less stressed. As it stands, I’m much closer to your sister’s predicament.
You're not on lockdown (yet). It's not nearly as bad and limiting as you make it out to be. My hair will be a little longer, my gut a little fatter, and my wallet heavier b/c of the lack of bar tabs. Otherwise, life is going on.

Although, living in bumfuck Kansas would suck extra hard during that time.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:18 pm I am heartened to see this.

[...]

lulz @ "deadline."
Timeline?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:39 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 pm

You're not on lockdown (yet). It's not nearly as bad and limiting as you make it out to be. My hair will be a little longer, my gut a little fatter, and my wallet heavier b/c of the lack of bar tabs. Otherwise, life is going on.

Although, living in bumfuck Kansas would suck extra hard during that time.
I've actually managed to drop a few pounds. And so has the dog. We go on a lot of walks lately.

The anxiety is the toughest thing for me to deal with. Staying at home with the kids is rough at times, but we're together and they're safe. Still, I'm not sleeping well thinking about what my money situation is going to be like in a month or two.