Weather

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Weather

Post by jhawks99 »

90 and crazy humid yesterday.
Heavy rain all night. Flood warnings out until Wednesday.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:45 am About 80 degrees with 74% humidity right now. Supposed to get up to the mid 90s.
That's what gets me - the humidity. The heat I can deal with.
Have a dermotoligst appointment at 1:15. I am NOT looking forward to walking there - and then back to work.
I'm supposed to go to the Cubs game tonight. I have a feeling I will spend most of the game inside. Which isn't so bad at all. I can watch the NBA Finals and the Cubs game on TV while being fed (free food).
Suite life!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:49 pm Fort Kent, one of the northernmost cities in Maine and the site of a Canadian border crossing, is predicted to hit 101 degrees Wednesday. Caribou, Maine, could jump to 99, blasting past the city’s all-time record of 96 degrees.
Yup.
In June.
Yay.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Kansas is apparently in the first stretch of consecutive 90+ days already. Good times.

My tomatoes and peppers aren’t stressed, thus far.

Hoping the great temps and plentiful rainfall throughout May gets me at least one great round of fruit!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:37 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:45 am About 80 degrees with 74% humidity right now. Supposed to get up to the mid 90s.
That's what gets me - the humidity. The heat I can deal with.
Have a dermotoligst appointment at 1:15. I am NOT looking forward to walking there - and then back to work.
I'm supposed to go to the Cubs game tonight. I have a feeling I will spend most of the game inside. Which isn't so bad at all. I can watch the NBA Finals and the Cubs game on TV while being fed (free food).
Suite life!
Nope. I wish. I could watch the game (live - not on TV) from a suite.
Tonight is good seats (outside) but the "club" is inside with no view of the field.

pdub - NOT cool (pun intended) that it is going to be that ridiculously hot in Maine.

Check out the predicted temps in Vegas and Palm Springs for the next 10 days - if/when you get a chance. It might make you fell better - but probably not.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

hot during the second half of june is no great surprise. hot in january. that could be a problem.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

it is a surprise when you are shattering records in june but i wouldn't imagine you'd understand.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i understand that on saturday we were b!Tc#!ng how unseasonably chilly it was. now two days later we are b!tc#!ng how unseasonably hot it is. that's the way it goes in the spring.

and it's a deadgiveaway of the age of this board. old people spend alot of time crabbing about the weather. watch old andy griffith reruns. or golden girls. they spend alot time on the weather.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

yay, another idiotic mich take on the weather
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I would't worry if I were you, pdub:

Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Nationwide, unusually hot summer days (highs) have become more common over the last few decades (see Figure 1). The occurrence of unusually hot summer nights (lows) has increased at an even faster rate. This trend indicates less “cooling off” at night.

Fig. 1:

https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicators/ ... %2520night.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

My daughter is a veterinarian who volunteers at the Mote Aquarium. She was part of a group of Vets doing a survey of turtles yesterday on the local beaches, and the theory is that the reason the # of shark attacks has spiked is because the water temperature is higher and that has raised the metabolism of the sharks, so they're seeking food more aggressively and end up attacking things they usually wouldn't in the search for additional food.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Here's a 350# loggerhead turtle they were called about and went to pick up yesterday. Apparently it was hit by a boat propeller and died as a result:

Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shirley wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:58 pm Here's a 350# loggerhead turtle they were called about and went to pick up yesterday. Apparently it was hit by a boat propeller and died as a result:

I blame Kevin Malone.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:58 pm Here's a 350# loggerhead turtle they were called about and went to pick up yesterday. Apparently it was hit by a boat propeller and died as a result:

probably older than some, if not most, board members

sad and tragic
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

20+ degree difference (less) in temperature between yesterday and today. 40% change (more) in humidity.
One of the biggest farces to me is the "feels like" temperature that Weather.com provides.
Sorry, when we have 80%+ humidity, no matter what the air temperature is, it "feels like" shit.
I would MUCH rather have 85 degrees and sunny with 25% humidity than 71 degrees and sunny with 82% humidity. I am not alone when I walk in to work in the morning and I need to take a towel to wipe off the sweat on my face and arms (and often chest). It's effing gross!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Walking by the John Hancock (or whatever the fudge it's called these days) building.
BIG storm approaching.
BIG somewhat blinding flash of light as a lightning bolt strikes what appears to be the top of the building.
A collective OH SHIT from people on the street (sidewalk) outside the Westin Hotel.
Some people scattering like rats. Other's standing in awe.
Then a BOOM that I felt inside my body. Some people laughing. Some people seemingly in shock.
Made it in to my building without getting killed and not a single drop of water on me.
About 5 minutes later, looks like a monsoon. Mother Nature putting on a show.
Good stuff!

Moral of the story is, have your cell phone ready to record and then you would have something to show instead of talk about?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:49 am Moral of the story is, have your cell phone ready to record and then you would have something to show instead of talk about?
My moral of that story and most stories would be to NOT do that.
Enjoy your story through your eyes/your senses not your phone.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

^^^^
we spent last weekend up in the Uintas…saw plenty of wildlife but took no pictures. talking about it with the wife, and we agreed that worrying about “capturing the moment” would’ve ultimately detracted from it

back to weather, Friday afternoon we got hammered by a massive hail storm. ran a half mile or so back to camp as shit hit the fan, and got back just in time to batten down the hatches before it got crazy. heaviest hail storm i’ve ever been in, even including those in the midwest, but zero damage to our vehicle (thank god)
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:55 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:49 am Moral of the story is, have your cell phone ready to record and then you would have something to show instead of talk about?
My moral of that story and most stories would be to NOT do that.
Enjoy your story through your eyes/your senses not your phone.