NBA boycotts

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 310

Re: NBA boycotts

Post by Deleted User 310 »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:13 pm I saw that Kenny Smith walked out of the NBA "pre-game". Did Shaq and Charles follow?
No. But shortly after the show was cancelled for the night.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Insensitive jag off me asks...
Were the majority of these players speaking up and acting out in regards to "systemic racism", police brutality, etc., BEFORE this season?
Tough to answer. Right?
I know the NBA did some stuff years ago when the Michael Brown and Eric Garner fiascos occurred but since then?
Seems it was all pretty much put in the rearview mirror.
I know they (the NBA) "celebrate" Black History Month every February but that's about it.
So now it took the recent George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Jacob Blake debacles for them to speak up again?
See what I am getting at?
In-between the incidents many if not most of these guys were happily buying all the shit they wanted, traveling wherever they wanted, living in their mansions in predominately white neighborhoods, and were living the American dream. Life is good and they are living happily ever after.
Yes, I realize some of these guys truly are legitimate heroes and role models to others and it is important for them to speak up and show they care but these are really not the people I (as a 53 year old less fortunate white man) want to hear from in terms of the "suffering".
That's what bugs me about their "actions" right now. They do it when it's the flavor of the month but otherwise, we don't really hear a peep from them. Why not?
I guess my attitude should be it's never to late to want to make a positive change but there is so much negative shit in this country right now and I simply can't escape it. Clearly I allow it to affect me.
Deleted User 310

I think the players genuinely care. The ones who don't aren't speaking out as much. Many chose not to wear slogans on their jerseys or talk about various topics in press conferences.

But yes, i am/was skeptical about the decision today at first, especially if it was only going to be a 24hr "postponing" of games....i am becoming less skeptical now that it appears it isnt just a publicity stunt. I think they are truly considering shutting it down because they lose something they want if that happens too. That shows sacrifice and not just fake advocacy. Many of these players do incredible things in their communities with their time and resources. I know they care. I know they mean well...but yes, i was a little "eye rolly" at first today. I am going to reserve judgment until seeing how things play out.

Although, i do think the players can be a bit arrogant in thinking themselves alone can influence all the change needed. They can bring awarness. They can help unify and mobilize the movement because of their platform and reach...but it takes people in positions of real power and masses of people from all walks of life to influence meaningful systemic changes that are needed. They can absolutely help and play a role, but they cant do it alone. We all have to speak up and we all have to VOTE.
Deleted User 310

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Lol

Perhaps.....considered.... up in the air

BREAKING NEWS!!!!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"The Lakers and Clippers have voted to boycott the remainder of the 2019-20 season, according to Shams Charania, though every other team voted to continue playing.

After their vote, LeBron James walked out of the meeting and the rest of L.A.'s players, from both teams, followed him out the door. It's unclear how this vote was intended to play out. Each team could make their own decision, it could be symbolic, it could be a unified 'majority rules' situation, or something else entirely."

https://www.rotoworld.com/basketball/nb ... es/9729686

If the majority of teams want to play, then i'm sorry Lakes/Clips, you forfeit.
Luka and a Dame-less Blazers.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So if the NBA season continues on without the Lakers, will the bronhaters say this was an excuse because he figured he'd loose in the finals again?
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

You are missing the whole point to this thing.
Deleted User 310

pdub wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:39 am So if the NBA season continues on without the Lakers, will the bronhaters say this was an excuse because he figured he'd loose in the finals again?
No doubt about it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I understand the point.
I'm not an idiot.
I don't have to agree with the entirety of the point. Nor the people or methodology behind it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I hope bronhaters don’t do that.

I also hope, when asked about his legacy years from now, bron doesn’t still refer to that season he like totally could have added another ring.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I can see him doing that.
It's certainly a good way to put himself in a different type of GOAT status as in,
"Jordan is the GOAT.."
"Maybe, but remember when LeBron..."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess.

The only way Lebron can add this to his goat legacy is if he remembers to make it about BLM, instead of making it about Lebron.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:49 am I hope bronhaters don’t do that.

I also hope, when asked about his legacy years from now, bron doesn’t still refer to that season he like totally could have added another ring.
Why would that bother you? They are one of the favorites.

It doesnt seem to bother you when MJ guys throw out he would have won another during his baseball season.

It also wont bother you when we (myself included) point out that the jayhawks were probably going to win a national championship last season before the season got cancelled.... or that i think we should be favorites for this years tournament that will also not be played.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:52 am I guess.

The only way Lebron can add this to his goat legacy is if he remembers to make it about BLM, instead of making it about Lebron.
How has he made this about himself?

I get why many of you hate him, but this aint it. It has some of you so warped that you cant look at anything he does objectively.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Those things aren’t the same.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Lol. Illy loves him some Lebron
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:17 am Those things aren’t the same.
How are they different? In particular the MJ situation. He chose to miss a season. These guys would be choosing to cancel the playoffs.
Deleted User 310

TDub wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:18 am Lol. Illy loves him some Lebron
I do like LeBron.

He is far from my favorite. And he does plenty of things that make me eye roll....but when it comes to activism and truly impacting people's lives i think it is pretty hard to find fault in his resume of good deeds and genuineness. He is a good person. He isn't out there getting arrested and being a hypocrite like some of the rapper activists (thinking of TI there).
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:39 am So if the NBA season continues on without the Lakers, will the bronhaters say this was an excuse because he figured he'd loose in the finals again?
Some probably would/will. I feel it would be extremely stupid of them.

Here is my logic in regards to this. LeBron should definitely be in the conversation for g.o.a.t. for what he has accomplished ON the court and LeBron has done some fantastic things OFF the court.
All but impossible for him not to feel he is an important person in the world - and no doubt he is.
I believe LeBron knows very well that he has accomplished g.o.a.t. status on the court and now he wants to achieve it OFF the court. I believe he wants to change "the world" and get the accolades for doing it/that.
I believe he takes more pride in his school than he does about his basketball accomplishments - and that's extremely admirable if so.
So how does he fuel his internal need to be important OFF the court, and "change the world", and get the accolades for doing it?
Well, now this opportunity has presented it's self and it looks like he may be running with it.
Stay tuned.