"Flexible PTO" at Work

Coffee talk.
shindig

Re: "Flexible PTO" at Work

Post by shindig »

I get 4 weeks vacation plus what they call personal days, which I get 3, plus a bunch of Holidays and such. For sick leave it maxes out at 1040 hours (which I'm at), but you don't get paid that if you leave, only the vacation days and personal days. We can carry over 80 hours of vacation, so now I am up to 6 weeks of vacation for 2021 since I took little time off in 2020. It almost seems impossible to take more than a week off now without feeling a little guilty and usually when I do take a week off like I did over Christmas-NY, I worked a couple days anyway, so, it's kind of like, fuck it.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Are you sure it’s not 104 hours (13 days) of sick leave? 1040 hours is like 130 days!!

Sick leave is use-it-or-lose-it. Even when we had FTO they gave us 96 hours of sick leave which is what we were supposed to use even if you took an afternoon off for a doctor appointment
shindig

Post by shindig »

zsn wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:00 pm Are you sure it’s not 104 hours (13 days) of sick leave? 1040 hours is like 130 days!!

Sick leave is use-it-or-lose-it. Even when we had FTO they gave us 96 hours of sick leave which is what we were supposed to use even if you took an afternoon off for a doctor appointment
Yeah it's 1,040. I think we basically get 6 months extended leave at full pay (like if I was in the hospital for an extended period), then after that I would still get paid but at 80%*salary.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’m amazed at how many working class people allow their employers to abuse and take advantage of them.

Take your fucking PTO.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:34 pm I’m amazed at how many working class people allow their employers to abuse and take advantage of them.

Take your fucking PTO.
Yep. I've never lost vacation or personal days, but my Director is maxed out at 6 weeks and he carried over 2 weeks from the prior year and just didn't get around to taking off enough due to just a lot of shit going on. He basically lost 3 weeks of pay this year (pay for not working), but he makes $160k+, so I didn't feel bad for him...lol
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

shindig wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm
zsn wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:00 pm Are you sure it’s not 104 hours (13 days) of sick leave? 1040 hours is like 130 days!!

Yeah it's 1,040. I think we basically get 6 months extended leave at full pay (like if I was in the hospital for an extended period), then after that I would still get paid but at 80%*salary.
That’s really good plan! As I was typing it occurred to me that 1040 hours is about half a work-year but I thought it was mathematical coincidence. Good for you! I’m sure that it was based on maternity considerations (the timing, I mean).
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

A company I worked for called it "unlimited vacation". They encouraged us to take it as needed but "not abuse it". I think a lot of people used less than they otherwise would have. One guy I worked with had been with the company for 30 years and got 6 or 8 weeks vacation per year by that point. He told them he'd just take that every year.
Broham
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:34 pm I’m amazed at how many working class people allow their employers to abuse and take advantage of them.

Take your fucking PTO.
You'll be happy to know that the Senate uses all their leave.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:10 pm

Take your fucking PTO.
You'll be happy to know that the Senate uses all their leave.

Well, I think that job is very unique, and I’m not sure I’d classify them as “working class”
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Take your fucking PTO.
Vacations are expensive and hanging out at the house while my wife works is often more stressful than working. She doesn't get paid time off so she can be a little passive aggressive about my enjoyment of it at times.

My employer isn't taking advantage of me. They are just benefitting from my personal situation and feelings as well as my desire to squirrel away money so I can retire earlier than "normal".
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:50 am

Take your fucking PTO.
Vacations are expensive and hanging out at the house while my wife works is often more stressful than working. She doesn't get paid time off so she can be a little passive aggressive about my enjoyment of it at times.

My employer isn't taking advantage of me. They are just benefitting from my personal situation and feelings as well as my desire to squirrel away money so I can retire earlier than "normal".
Got kids? Any hobbies?

There's plenty of times I'll take vacation while my wife still works. But I take my kids to go to a park, go to the gym or whatever and let them run around or just hang out at the house playing board games with them. I'm a big golfer, so I usually go play a couple of rounds during a week off.

But man, you ain't lying about expensive vacations. Going to Florida for a week in June to a beach house that my wife's aunt owns, and she even gave us a discount, but the flight out there coupled with the discounted price of the beach house is still crazy high.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:34 pm Take your fucking PTO.
I get 5 weeks of vacation a year. I use every single minute of those 5 weeks every year. I don't carry over a dime.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

comparatively, fishing in the midwest sucks. but, for me, i really enjoy taking single days off here and there just to spend a few hours on the river fishing, regardless of success
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How do you figure fishing in the Midwest comparatively sucks?
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:13 am How do you figure fishing in the Midwest comparatively sucks?
the scenery alone

and c’mon, don’t tell me you’d pick the midwest over the mountain west
Deleted User 89

but don’t get me wrong, a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work...regardless of where you’re fishing
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:01 am

Take your fucking PTO.

Got kids? Any hobbies?

There's plenty of times I'll take vacation while my wife still works. But I take my kids to go to a park, go to the gym or whatever and let them run around or just hang out at the house playing board games with them. I'm a big golfer, so I usually go play a couple of rounds during a week off.

But man, you ain't lying about expensive vacations. Going to Florida for a week in June to a beach house that my wife's aunt owns, and she even gave us a discount, but the flight out there coupled with the discounted price of the beach house is still crazy high.
Yes I have kids and they are in school. Yes, I do stuff with them when I am off work and they aren't in school.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Fishing: I like easy bait fishing for sunnies and walleye. My brother says every hour of fishing adds 3 hours to your life.

My brother’s favorite is trout fishing. There is a place in NW Nebraska near Bassett nobody is aware
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Take your fucking PTO.

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:35 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:13 am How do you figure fishing in the Midwest comparatively sucks?
the scenery alone

and c’mon, don’t tell me you’d pick the midwest over the mountain west
Yes, the scenery is hard to beat out west.

And not that I’d pick the Midwest over the west, but it’s just a topic with a lot of angles I’ve considered.

The west is arid, and high elevation. That means there isn’t much water, and the water that is around tends to be spread out.

A lot depends on public access, too. The west has so much more public land. Public water can be a different story, and usually depends state to state. CO is a private-owner-friendly state, and a landowner legally “owns” the bottom of the river too. On a “legally navigable” water you might be able to float, but if you get out and wade, or drop anchor, or even technically snag your fly on a rock, you might get busted for trespassing. Other states have more public-friendly water access.

Then there’s what constitutes a “destination” fishery. In CO, many rivers count as such, even though there’s not much access. That means crowds shoulder to shoulder between that couple mile stretch of public access between ominous “no trespassing” signs. That can happen anywhere, but particularly at some place yall consider a tourist destination.

Then there’s the culture. On most trout streams, it’s some bougey Front Ranger pulling up in his German SUV with a rod vault and saying entitled shit like, “I just gotta get on the water. You know me, I just need my river time.” I can get the sentiment, but in most other places, it’s a lot more laid back. Relax, it’s just fishing.

And that’s not even beginning to scratch the most important debate of all, between trout v. bass...