Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
KU76erfan

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by KU76erfan »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:48 pm
KU76erfan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:35 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:04 am

It’s all fun and games until you have to check your phone to see if you are rated green so you can go to the market or if you are red and have to stay confined to your home and hope someone brings you food. Chinese people can tell you what that’s like right now.
Yes, I'm sure you were pounding your desk in favour of civil liberties when the Patriot Act was passed.
Believe it or not, I was not in favor of that at all.
Then, I applaud you sir.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I did think to myself earlier, what ridiculousness are we going to have to put up with after this to give people a false sense of security.

Funny how TSA has deemed it safe to carry on a gallon of hand sanitizer onto a plane right now.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I still think Taleb takes their model apart pretty handily, but this is a useful clarification, contra what many (on the right) were insisting this morning:

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Why the fuck are they still doing this?

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

One NYC ICU doctor suggested in a video that we should be wearing masks when we go out, even those homemade masks, to remind us not to touch our faces.

Meanwhile, government masks from Customs and Border Control are going to the busy TSA rather than FEMA or hospitals.

U.S. government has 1.5 million expired N95 masks sitting in an Indiana warehouse

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
Last edited by seahawk on Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

This is according to Seeking Alpha, at 7:25 tonight

The major cruise ship lines are shut out of the $2T coronavirus stimulus package headed for a vote tomorrow in the U.S. House, despite Pres. Trump's desire to help them.

The package limits aid to U.S.-incorporated companies with a majority of workers based in the U.S., two criteria that effectively exclude the major cruise ship operators such as Carnival (NYSE:CCL), Norwegian (NYSE:NCLH) and Royal Caribbean (NYSE:RCL).

Trump said today that he would like to provide assistance to the cruise industry, which supports local economies in the U.S., but it is "very tough to make a loan to company when they're based in a different country."

The world's four biggest cruise lines, which include Swiss-based MSC Cruises, have suspended sailings for about a month following coronavirus outbreaks aboard ships and travel restrictions imposed by various governments.

"There's a risk that cruise ships are laid up for an extended period of time," says Wedbush analyst James Hardiman. "They'll continue to burn cash without any revenue coming in the door."
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Derek Cressman
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Just found out my sister n law tested positive for COVID-19. Low grade fever and cough. Doing okay... No clue how she got it.

Meanwhile, I still have a job thank God, but just got a 15% pay cut...

Fun times. Fun times.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 pm I still think Taleb takes their model apart pretty handily, but this is a useful clarification, contra what many (on the right) were insisting this morning:

I don't think that report had as much of an impact as, and I say this with confusion moreso than perjoratively, the right wing seems to think. At least not in the US (can't speak for UK).

It may have changed Trump's tone (though I think the Dow had more to do with that). But Trump hasn't been shutting things down. He also doesn't have the power to un-shut things down that some seem to think he has.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I'm kinda speechless to see this, after the last > 10 years of seeing health care "rationing" used as a cudgel to discourage attempts to reform our health care "system".

This is a letter that was put out by the Henry Ford Health System, headquartered in metro Detroit. It was started by Henry Ford in 1915, and now consists of > 31,000 employees and ~ 6 hospitals, etc. It's not like anything I've ever seen before, and I never thought I would:

Derek Cressman
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

sdoyel wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:18 pm Just found out my sister n law tested positive for COVID-19. Low grade fever and cough. Doing okay... No clue how she got it.

Meanwhile, I still have a job thank God, but just got a 15% pay cut...

Fun times. Fun times.
Sorry to hear this sdoyle. Hopefully she's one of those who will only experience mild symptoms. And getting a 15% pay cut sucks, but at least your job hasn't disappeared.
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Boris isn't my kinda guy, but this sucks and I wish him the best.

But, apparently, he's one of Trump's besties. Unfortunately, I'm not hopeful that his buddy having it will result in our president conjuring up an emotion that by all indications he's lacking, that of empathy.

Derek Cressman
Deleted User 289

Feral wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:36 am I'm kinda speechless to see this, after the last > 10 years of seeing health care "rationing" used as a cudgel to discourage attempts to reform our health care "system".

This is a letter that was put out by the Henry Ford Health System, headquartered in metro Detroit. It was started by Henry Ford in 1915, and now consists of > 31,000 employees and ~ 6 hospitals, etc. It's not like anything I've ever seen before, and I never thought I would:

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/draf ... s-shortage
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

It’s good that they have a worst case scenario policy in place.

I want to have the same confidence in other institutions right now, but I don’t.
Deleted User 289

Friend of mine is a flight attendant.
I believe it was one of her usual crew members who took these pics.

Deleted User 289

Channeling my inner lobster here.

Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

'merica

Coronavirus: Teenage boy died after being turned away from urgent care for not having insurance

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 29946.html

A 17-year-old who passed away after contracting the novel coronavirus despite not having any previously reported health conditions was denied treatment at a California medical facility over his lack of insurance, according to the mayor.

R Rex Parris, the mayor of Lancaster, California, confirmed the teen’s death in a video posted to YouTube on Wednesday, in which he warned residents to take the global pandemic seriously and practice self-isolation and social distancing measures.

“The Friday before he died, he was healthy,” the mayor said about the teenager. “By Wednesday, he was dead.”

The mayor said the teen “didn’t have insurance, so they did not treat him” when he arrived at an urgent care facility in the area. The medical staff then told the child to go to a local public hospital.