COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by PhDhawk »

Was watching some HGTV today and they were talking about a permit for something being denied.

Blows my mind that people won't wear masks that can save lives but are ok with the local city council not letting you put in a bay window for some arbitrary reason.

Really seem to have our priorities backwards when talking about individual rights and government control.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Agreed.

I think you should be able to do whatever you want pn your own property....but the city/county want their money. Also, after having to work on some johnny homeowner additions.....some people shouldnt be allowed to own or touch tools.

Masks are way less of a pain in the ass than dealing with the planning/permit dept.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:46 pm Agreed.

I think you should be able to do whatever you want pn your own property....but the city/county want their money. Also, after having to work on some johnny homeowner additions.....some people shouldnt be allowed to own or touch tools.

Masks are way less of a pain in the ass than dealing with the planning/permit dept.
I don’t think I’d be ok with my neighbor having a hog farm on his property. Or a crematorium for that matter. I also want the City to make sure his chimney is not going to come crashing down on my house.

I agree with you on masks, though
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Well zoning takes care of those problems not necessarily the building permit. Even then, a persons property should be theres to do with as they feel. I do understand the sentiment. My dads cousin has a hog farm in kansas....its actually pretty clean and well kept....nothing like you see at the commercial level. But,again, i get your point.
Just Ledoux it
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’m going to open a crack dispensary next to TDubs house. I can do whatever I want with my property
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:15 am I’m going to open a crack dispensary next to TDubs house. I can do whatever I want with my property
You joke, but you’re describing Houston.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So does Cali shutting down again mean other starts are gonna be shutting down again too?
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Houston-

I used to go there every month. Heading north on a parallel outer road next to I-45 to The Woodlands I passed, in order:

1. A discount cigarette store;
2. A dildo shop;
3. A 6,000 square foot home with a nice fountain in the front;
4. A muffler repair shop;
5. A Taco Bell; and
6. Diamonds Totally nude strip club.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Most major cities are similar to Houston in terms of what you can/will find in close proximity to each other.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I disagree. Houston is on a different level. Strip clubs next to daycares next to smoke shops next to churches. It's wild.
Deleted User 289

Don't get me wrong, as a whole Houston is as fucked up city as there is in terms of what is basically next to / on top of each other and the lack of any of it making much sense but.... I am trying to express that I feel most major cities have shit that doesn't make much sense in regards to how you can walk/drive a few blocks and be in a decent (if not "nice") area and walk/drive just a few blocks or so further and be in a complete hell hole.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Classic Chicago douchebag. Even when talking about negative aspects of a city the "Me Too" attitude still shows up.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

No need to attack Gutter. He just doesn’t know Houston.
Deleted User 289

Cascadia - I can handle the insult but I have a difficult time handling your ignorance.

Leawood - I appreciate that. Maybe I don't know Houston but I have been there multiple times, have walked and driven around and have seen exactly what fish (and others) are alluding to and I do NOT disagree with them - nor have I said I do. What little I do know about Houston includes their lack of "zoning" leading to the issues they have.
I made a simple statement in regards to how I feel many other cities are SIMILAR (not the same) to Houston in regards to what one may find in close proximity.
To get "attacked" for that by Cascadia speaks volumes to me about him/her.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:49 am I disagree. Houston is on a different level. Strip clubs next to daycares next to smoke shops next to churches. It's wild.
I've been to Houston exactly one time. When I was like 10 and this is what I remember. Like it's truly bizarre.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I have submitted drawings for permit in most of the largest cities in the US. The inconsistency in Code interpretation is the worst of it. You get reviewers without degrees wanting to impress upon registered engineers that they know more about the Code than we do. They know the language of the Code verbatim, but do not understand the underlying engineering associated with a Code requirement so they have no flexibility with regards to their interpretation. You get reviewers who are engineers who don't care what we do. Honest to God in New York City I had a PE reviewing calculations who told me that I only had to consider Code required seismic forces if I "was worried about a seismic event, otherwise yeah, just ignore that". And then there are engineers who have never designed a building who want to tell you how they would have solved this problem, if they were working on the building. OK, but I don't give a fuck. In San Francisco you get reviewers who have undergrad degrees from Chinese universities and PHDs from Cal Berkley. You have to have someone vet your Code comment responses to make sure you don't say something that would be considered accidentally insulting in their culture after having someone interpret their review comments.

Those who can do; those who can't review?

There is a salary differential; the reviewer/inspector is the job of last resort.

After looking over the whole of Saguache County in CO where there are no zoning ordinances and no Building Code; I bought buildings in the only Town in the County that has a building inspector and has adopted the IBC. Without some Code enforcement, shit gets crazy. While the inspectors and reviewers are a shitshow, I wouldn't buy property within blowing up or burning distance of a neighbor in a location that didn't have either.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

no building codes at all?

they can use re-bar without the ribbing?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:07 pm no building codes at all?

they can use re-bar without the ribbing?
Why would you reinforce concrete, it's already concrete?

Exhibit A:

The lumber yard, sitting in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Built with scaffolding, re-used concrete block, shipping containers and exposed osb panels.

To put things in perspective, earlier this year the Owner of this building heard someone on the roof in the middle of the night. He shot his rifle through the roof and hit the drunk on his roof. The drunk started crying and saying he was injured, so the dude kept shooting through the roof until he shut up, because "he thought he was in danger". The next morning the sheriff came by to confirm the drunk on the roof was dead. The sheriff's office is about 3 blocks from the incident but no hurry, it would wait til morning. Jury trial determined it was a legal killing and everyone went on about their biness. No body tells them what to do with their property and no one trespasses. I would say it was like the wild west, but it is more like Mad Max.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“Hi, can y’all cancel our reservation? We know it’s too late to get a refund, but my husband just heard CO has a statewide mask mandate, and he’d rather cancel and eat the cost of the stay than have to wear a mask. He just will. not. do. it.”
Deleted User 289

GBA!