21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

sdoyel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:38 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:34 pm
sdoyel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:31 pm

Why? We’ve got 900 players to choose from.
Those two are better options/more talented/athletic than roughly 850+ of them.

Of those 50 or less left, which ones are actually interested in KU? UMKC players excepted?
IMO, you’re way too high on Enaruna and TGF...
And you're way too high on guys in the portal. Most are in the portal for a reason. About 50 of them are to go to a better program, the rest are just to go somewhere other than where they are at for reasons such as coach left, playing time, etc.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

My guess is we bring in McKissic and Pettiford. Not going to cut the mustard well enough for 2022.

As much as I like our case, the feel around the program is that sanctions are coming and go in effect in 2022-23 season.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

none of us know exactly what conversations have taken place between the staff and either of the guys currently transferring (or the other two likely transfers)

all we do know is the the staff is trying to make upgrades, based on the offers that have been put out there
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:41 pm

Of those 50 or less left, which ones are actually interested in KU? UMKC players excepted?
And you're way too high on guys in the portal. Most are in the portal for a reason. About 50 of them are to go to a better program, the rest are just to go somewhere other than where they are at for reasons such as coach left, playing time, etc.
Correct. The portal isn't like NBA Free Agency when Bosh and LeBron were available.

Also not great that if you look at our guys that got minutes, Enaruna and TGF are guys where you can see improvement coming.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

In my opinion, no.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

This wasn't a real talented or fun team. These two guys couldnt make an impact on one of the 2 worst teams in the self era. Im not going to fret over any of this yet.
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:41 pm

There’s a ton of talent and experience in the transfer portal. Tons.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

3 star after 3 star after 3 star.

There's like 20 guys that are uber-talented that you want to have, after that, it's a bunch of Enarunas and TGFs.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Not every 3 star plays like a 3 star or below.
Not every 5 star plays like a 5 star.
Kevin Young was unranked with no p5 school offers - he turned out to be a pretty good piece.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 pm I am admittedly KUBB cranky right now, but I am genuinely curious where these better recruits and transfers are going to appear from and why they would pick KU in the current environment.
Like you told me in the Football thread. CnB has reached his breaking point.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:02 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 pm I am admittedly KUBB cranky right now, but I am genuinely curious where these better recruits and transfers are going to appear from and why they would pick KU in the current environment.
Ha. Well these other posters are right in that the transfers leaving so far are like #9 and 10 in the rotation. Not quite doomsday yet if the 4 transfers are 9/10/11/12. But, the worrisome part is that we just aren't the same destination we were 3-5 seasons ago. We aren't on top recruits or transfers' radars.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Transfers are part of life. They happen every year at this time.

Transfers will become a bigger part of life after the ncaa votes to do away with the "have to sit for a year when you transfer" rule.

Our transfers have historically been schmucks way down the bench. This year is no different.

The never ending investigation is dragging the program down.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:06 pm
Ha. Well these other posters are right in that the transfers leaving so far are like #9 and 10 in the rotation. Not quite doomsday yet if the 4 transfers are 9/10/11/12. But, the worrisome part is that we just aren't the same destination we were 3-5 seasons ago. We aren't on top recruits or transfers' radars.
I've said it for awhile now that KU just isn't viewed nationally like we do, or think we are. That was a nice little regular season run to get regular season titles but that is all it really was. The regular season. Outside of Lawrence, maybe even out of Big 12 country no one cares about that. All people care about is how do you do in the month of March and April.
As far as how we are viewed nationally recruiting wise I think it has become easy to negatively recruit against us for various reasons even outside of the scandal cloud hanging over us. I've heard from coaches and other people that if you are a high level wing or guard Self just won't use you right. That was a couple of years ago I heard that. Eventually those kind of rumors become truths.

Maybe we are all over reacting. Who knows. I hope I'm wrong but the future feels further away from the 2020 season than it does closer.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Is anyone on top recruits or transfers’ radars?

Just last season, we won big on the late recruiting period. Jalen and Isaiah were both the pick of the litter that spring. Maybe it’s changed but maybe Self scores again.

Tristan is among a unique minority in that he transferred even though he was highly regarded and expected to play, nor did he do anything stupid to warrant dismissal, just couldn’t get minutes...him and...Andrew White?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:15 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:06 pm

I've said it for awhile now that KU just isn't viewed nationally like we do, or think we are. That was a nice little regular season run to get regular season titles but that is all it really was. The regular season. Outside of Lawrence, maybe even out of Big 12 country no one cares about that. All people care about is how do you do in the month of March and April.
As far as how we are viewed nationally recruiting wise I think it has become easy to negatively recruit against us for various reasons even outside of the scandal cloud hanging over us. I've heard from coaches and other people that if you are a high level wing or guard Self just won't use you right. That was a couple of years ago I heard that. Eventually those kind of rumors become truths.

Maybe we are all over reacting. Who knows. I hope I'm wrong but the future feels further away from the 2020 season than it does closer.
I think it is a little bit of that but also, we found a great spot to be in taking the guys that Duke and UK thought were too much of projects for them and developed those guys into All Big-12, AA-types.

These last 2-3 classes have been one notch below that and we really struck out on any kind of plan to replace Devon Dotson.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:16 pmIs anyone on top recruits or transfers’ radars?
Marcus Carr would make an impact here and looks like an eventual UK commit. Tyson Walker would make an impact here, he committed to Sparty. Rocket Watts would play here (but can't shoot), haven't heard any chatter that we are involved there.

Getting TyTy would be similar to getting Jalen as he is clearly the best prospect left, but TyTy is a better recruit than Jalen. We are making up ground there--didn't originally recruit him. I also don't think TyTy is a Devon Dotson.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait, a guard who can’t shoot?

When you put it that way, Self already has him penciled in for 30 minutes a night.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I still think Self and co., along with the general basketball world, thought Marcus had the point guard position in lock down and this affected the decision of some points who wanted to play right away.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:38 pm I still think Self and co., along with the general basketball world, thought Marcus had the point guard position in lock down and this affected the decision of some points who wanted to play right away.
I think Self and co. were somehow caught off guard by Devon staying in the draft. Gurley has said as much.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How?!

It wasn’t even the first time Dotson declared.

I think it was some combo of 1. staff thought Garrett would be better able to run point, and 2. staff thought the rest of the team surrounding Garrett wouldn’t be such a bunch of chickenshits