2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Mjl

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by Mjl »

I thought the Harris/Yesufu combo was looking good before Remy came back. There's something there.

The problem is Yesufu might not have the confidence to play well enough to earn the longer leash, and his lack of confidence makes him play shitty with a short leash.

He played well when Self didn't have another option. When Remy came back Self tried playing Yesufu and he reverted to sucking again. That's some fragile confidence right there.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

That said, I am guessing Self will go after a combo guard in the portal.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:39 am I thought the Harris/Yesufu combo was looking good before Remy came back. There's something there.

The problem is Yesufu might not have the confidence to play well enough to earn the longer leash, and his lack of confidence makes him play shitty with a short leash.

He played well when Self didn't have another option. When Remy came back Self tried playing Yesufu and he reverted to sucking again. That's some fragile confidence right there.
this makes it sounds like the Yesufu short leash treatment may be a chicken-and-egg problem.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

as has been suggested, I just dunno if any rotation's ceiling is high with Dajuan playing like 38 a night.

The success of this tourney run came as much as anything from being able to give Remy the keys to the Ferrari for long stretches. Without those 3s raining down in crunch time, we prob don't win that natty. Heck, we prob don't even get past Creighton.

and yeah maybe we get some shooter to play alongside Dajuan, more so than instead of him. But then the issue becomes other teams over guarding the shooters cuz they can gamble on not guarding Dajuan.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

without Dajuans Defense that natty isn't possible either. You have a very specific type of basketball play you look for and large blindspots in your appreciation for success.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mjl wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:40 am That said, I am guessing Self will go after a combo guard in the portal.
I think so as well.
But maybe he figures out how to play Harris, Rice, Dick, Jalen and Zach Clemence all at the same time.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:08 am without Dajuans Defense that natty isn't possible either. You have a very specific type of basketball play you look for and large blindspots in your appreciation for success.
I never said I didn't appreciate Dajuan's defense, and don't mean to. Dude still played a big role.

What specific type of basketball play do I look for? Buckets?

What blindspots are in my appreciation? cuz you're making arguments as if you mean to turn a blind eye to Remy's production, or to the void created by his departure. Unless you're making arguments just to argue. If that's the case, well said, Illy.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd say Remy was more impactful overall in the tournament.
He got us points when we needed them.
But Harris was out there to start that second half and got us back in it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:31 am
TDub wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:08 am without Dajuans Defense that natty isn't possible either. You have a very specific type of basketball play you look for and large blindspots in your appreciation for success.
I never said I didn't appreciate Dajuan's defense, and don't mean to. Dude still played a big role.

What specific type of basketball play do I look for? Buckets?

What blindspots are in my appreciation? cuz you're making arguments as if you mean to turn a blind eye to Remy's production, or to the void created by his departure. Unless you're making arguments just to argue. If that's the case, well said, Illy.
you seem to only appreciate bombing 3s and dunks.

Of course Remy was important he was HUGE.

But your history if analysis isn't exactly filled with great insights. You like dunks and 3s.......and Travis Releford.

Dajauns lockdown on Gillespie and Davis won us the weekend as much as Remys offensive explosion.

Remy 11 pts and block in the last 10 minutes were more directly impactful and easierto quantify. But...we aren't in the position for those heroics without Dajuans work.

this was the most TEAM effort win I think I've ever seen. Tske 1 guy out and its a different result.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:46 am
Mjl wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:39 am I thought the Harris/Yesufu combo was looking good before Remy came back. There's something there.

this makes it sounds like the Yesufu short leash treatment may be a chicken-and-egg problem.
We have no idea if it was a confidence problem. Impossible to judge from the couch. Sounds like excuses messageboarders use when their predictions don't play out how they want.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Well said.

And we've had few players play 38min a night. And nobody is suggesting that type of role for DH.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's not a knock on Dajuan to say he's never going to be able to give you what Remy can and did. Not even Och really has that.

Dajuan's really great at controlling the things he can control: intensity, effort, good defense, assignments, moving the ball, limiting turnovers. You have to put scorers next to him, though, to have a good team. That's fine.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:11 am

We have no idea if it was a confidence problem. Impossible to judge from the couch. Sounds like excuses messageboarders use when their predictions don't play out how they want.
Of course we don't know for sure, like anything when analyzing sports.
But there's a pretty significant chunk of evidence to suggest it, that I've laid out, for which you're using the "well we can't be certain" argument as if anyone did argue it was certain. But you know that and you're just trying to be a rhetorical twat.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

With the parade tomorrow, it would make sense to see Och issue his news on Monday.

Then the dominoes will fall. I could see CB giving the "maintain eligibility" language but he seems gone.

Maybe J Will takes the if not drafted return to school option.

McCormack, who knows, staying or leaving both make a lot of sense for him.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:51 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:11 am

Of course we don't know for sure, like anything when analyzing sports.
But there's a pretty significant chunk of evidence to suggest it, that I've laid out, for which you're using the "well we can't be certain" argument as if anyone did argue it was certain. But you know that and you're just trying to be a rhetorical twat.
It just seems so hard for a player that naturally wants to be ball dominant and take a lot of shots to fit into a new team where his role gets downgraded to a cog. We were worried about that with Remy, and for good reason. I see Nijel Pack having the same issue wherever he ends up. Maybe Yesufu is that way, too, but if he sticks it out, Self is so good getting guys to buy into and excel in roles.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

you gotta think Self can point to Remy's role and tell Joe, "that can be your floor next year."

and yea it's been suggested maybe Joe just isn't the best fit skillset and/or personality wise, but you also gotta figure a guard with a year already in the system might be worth more than the transfer portal at large.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Maybe I'm wrong....but why am I the only one that is excited for a healthy Bobby? he seems glossed over in all these discussions. Also curious to see what Cuffe has....we know he has the athleticism.

I think KJ takes a big leap forward as well.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

For all of DH's defense, hitting the threes when we needed it was essential. Yes is a good shooter and we saw him finish some great drives. To play that position, you have to play a lot, so the diminshed role made sense. There was a time there in the league season Yes was starting to shine. But Self didn't have to stretch minutes the way things fell in place. An experienced combo guard transfer is always a good idea going forward. So long as they don't trip opponents or slap Chris Rock.
Last edited by Sparko on Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:40 pm Maybe I'm wrong....but why am I the only one that is excited for a healthy Bobby? he seems glossed over in all these discussions. Also curious to see what Cuffe has....we know he has the athleticism.

I'm with you. Especially at KU with Self. Transfers are going to struggle especially early. Players familiar with the system have a huge advantage. Players get better over time...we just saw that big time with Och and Braun. Also, the bored seems to have a collective blind spot for injuries. Injured players don't play very well. There was a ton of excitement around Pettiford before his injury.

As far as transfers go, I'd want and see how the roster shakes out and use it to fill needs. Not just use it to use it. We are probably gonna have 4 combo guards. Not sure that's a position of need. If everyone leaves, we might need more wings.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:40 pm Maybe I'm wrong....but why am I the only one that is excited for a healthy Bobby? he seems glossed over in all these discussions. Also curious to see what Cuffe has....we know he has the athleticism.

I'm on team Pettiford for sure.
Some flashes early.