2019 NFL Season

Kansas Football.
holidaysmore

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by holidaysmore »

Chiefs can’t buy a break when it comes to the injuries this year. IMO that is the only thing that is going to stop them from getting to the SB.

One place the Chiefs had depth was on the d-line but now with Okafor out that is getting slim. Sucks because he was having a nice year. Harris has been a pleasant surprise. Same with K-Pass.

I believe he reports. Reid and Spags have a good reputation within the league and I have a feeling that Suggs wants a shot at a ring. If he does report that adds depth or at least prevented him from going to the Ravens.

Damn, JG. Between him and AB I don’t know who has wasted more talent and opportunities.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The only thing that makes me nervous about Suggs...is he really going to play hard against Baltimore?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I mean Pats did the same thing a few years ago for James Harrison for their playoff run. Same kind of thing. Experienced guy. Still has some juice in the tank.

But yeah, the Okafor injury made it a given, and they placed him on IR, which basically means Suggs will report.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Hell even if he does report does he want to play hard? I would assume yes. He is familiar with Spags and has locker room guys in Clark and Tyrann who would be all over his ass if he didn’t. At the end of the day he is a professional and I have to assume he will do his job and put personal preference or feelings aside.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Are you all seriously questioning if a player played for a team if he would try less hard when facing his old team?

What?
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:43 pm The only thing that makes me nervous about Suggs...is he really going to play hard against Baltimore?
Huh?
When do the Chiefs play Baltimore?
Oh, you mean IF they match up in the playoffs with going to the Super Bowl on the line.
Go ahead and ask yourself that question again and really think about the answer.

Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Drew Brees
Rank him as an all time QB.
Has to be top 10 for sure. Right?
What about top 5?
Top 3?
Deleted User 141

He and Brady are the best stories. Brady 6th round pick, Brees undersized and undervalued out of college. Both have the finger to the league and just did what they do.

I think Peyton is a better AB than either of them though.

And Fuck Elway. He was a great player, but bc he’s such a POS IRL, he can eat a horse dick.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Peyton was such a different guy in the playoffs and outside of the dome. Brady, Montana, Elway easily over Peyton. Brees is a tougher call and he's the most likable of them all.

Rodgers should have been the best.
Deleted User 141

Packers kinda flying under radar this year. They’ll be interesting to watch for sure.

With them and Patriots ‘struggling’ this year according to media analysis, I expect them to meet in the Super Bowl.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

My top 10 in order:
Montana
Elway (Hate to admit it as a Chiefs guy but he was so good)
Brady
Peyton
Brees
Rodgers
Marino
Young
Favre
Mahomes (I honestly think he's going to be one of the greatest of all time when all said and done. Already making his way up the list and although he's had a drop this year, still a top 3 QB in terms of production)
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Tom Brady has to be no. 1 on every chart.
It's not even a question anymore.
He leads any and all categories and did so without a long term superstar wide receiver ( no, Randy Moss for a couple years doesn't count, Wes Welker and Julian Edelman definitely don't count ).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:20 am Tom Brady has to be no. 1 on every chart.
It's not even a question anymore.
He leads any and all categories and did so without a long term superstar wide receiver ( no, Randy Moss for a couple years doesn't count, Wes Welker and Julian Edelman definitely don't count ).
I'm not sure why any qualifiers are necessary or even relevant - of course Brady is the unquestioned #1, from an all-time perspective. No one with demonstrably better talent (Rodgers) or numbers (Brees) has enough team success to make the scale even wobble.

Now, if (as is not unreasonable to imagine, given health) Mahomes or Jackson or Lawrence or whoever goes on to rewrite records books and finishes with...three?...four?...Super Bowl wins? There's a conversation that is not unlike MJ/Bron.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Agreed.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Brady really does check every single box, so it’s hard to argue.

The problem with the exercise is just how much the game has changed and how much you value the raw stats because of that. If Miami would have given Marino anything and he has 2-3 SB’s, then the discussion might be over.

When Rodgers won the Super Bowl MVP in 2011, conventional wisdom would have said Rodgers would do what Brady has since then and vice versa. That example is Mahomes’s biggest danger of not being a top 5-10 guy himself.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:35 am Brady really does check every single box, so it’s hard to argue.

The problem with the exercise is just how much the game has changed and how much you value the raw stats because of that. If Miami would have given Marino anything and he has 2-3 SB’s, then the discussion might be over.

When Rodgers won the Super Bowl MVP in 2011, conventional wisdom would have said Rodgers would do what Brady has since then and vice versa. That example is Mahomes’s biggest danger of not being a top 5-10 guy himself.
In a macro sense, sure. But I don't think the primary culprit in Rodgers' failure (failure?) to ascend to Brady's level (coaching) is likely to happen to Pat. By FAR, the likeliest henchman is the injury bug.

The next likeliest would seem to be excellent quarterbacking around the league, but when you think about it, it's not like Brady has done what he's done in the absence of other very-good-to-great quarterbacks.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

A big thing with Rodgers is mismanagement of the roster, which, sometimes that's luck. I'm not saying that's a certainty with the new Chiefs, because they've been ran great under new regime, but one of the only things that stops Mahomes is out of his hands. Reid certainly is better than McCarthy, like laughably so.

Injuries certainly #2. Year 2 Pat is not the same as Year 1 Pat.

I guess the only other question is if he develops the knowledge like Brady, Elway, Manning, Brees, etc. did, but I don't know why anyone would be concerned with that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:12 am A big thing with Rodgers is mismanagement of the roster, which, sometimes that's luck. I'm not saying that's a certainty with the new Chiefs, because they've been ran great under new regime, but one of the only things that stops Mahomes is out of his hands. Reid certainly is better than McCarthy, like laughably so.

Injuries certainly #2. Year 2 Pat is not the same as Year 1 Pat.

I guess the only other question is if he develops the knowledge like Brady, Elway, Manning, Brees, etc. did, but I don't know why anyone would be concerned with that.
Sure - I think complacency is a big risk for anyone at the very top of their profession at such a young age.

It's here, though, that I think there's something that gets missed about Patrick (II). Yes, it's true that he's the son of a pro athlete. But we're not talking like Chris Simms or Mike McMahon.

Pat Mahomes (I) was almost literally a replacement level guy (0.1 career WAR), who managed to hang on for over ten years. That's a testament to his approach/attitude/work ethic. Patrick didn't grow up with his dad being a star.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:45 am Pat Mahomes (I) was almost literally a replacement level guy (0.1 career WAR), who managed to hang on for over ten years. That's a testament to his approach/attitude/work ethic. Patrick didn't grow up with his dad being a star.
Very good point. And from what we've seen he's got a great work ethic, has gotten more muscular and seemed to lose the flab that he kind of had coming out of Tech.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Was he out of shape at Tech?

I think the one outlier about Pat from the top guys, especially all time, is that he was just good, not great in college. I don’t know if there is anything to make of that, but it’s interesting.