Royals

Other Sports.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Royals

Post by Sparko »

Q had a lot better options in the pen, which has been a shit show. The team looking at hittable pitches all season to wear down starters is really on display the last six. We had better options than Hampson and Renfroe. Stranding runners at second after lead off double. You watch these guys enough, you know what I am saying. The starting pitching has been insanely good and would be enough with Whitey Herzog or Jack McKeon. I have been a fan since 1969 and have seen a few seasons
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I appreciate the long-time fandom, and you have me by about 12 years, but watching today's game, and how rosters are constructed (both offensively and definitely from a pitching staff standpoint) is nothing like even during the last Royal's playoff runs in 14-15.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The only thing I think they could have reasonably done different is give Waters a real chance. But this team simply wasn’t built as if contention was in scope. And I don’t think that’s really all that surprising - and it certainly isn’t Q’s fault.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:42 pm The only thing I think they could have reasonably done different is give Waters a real chance. But this team simply wasn’t built as if contention was in scope. And I don’t think that’s really all that surprising - and it certainly isn’t Q’s fault.
What we have learned, though, is that with a good (+) hitter behind Witt, this lineup is going to be dangerous. Anemic without, for a week.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Melendez .268 since all-star break. .515 slugging. 30 points lower BA, 20 points higher slugging vs Vinnie. He does K a bit more, especially compared to Fermin.

Massey (Garcia...although I like him in 9 hole, tbh)
Witt
Fermin
Perez
Melendez
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Garcia failing to hit - despite historical performance that gave reasonable confidence that he would - is the biggest offensive miss on the roster.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Throwing Q under the bus again, he insisted on platooning Isbel and Melendez when they can hit and field far better than their replacement level scrubs. Sitting them hurt their production and confidence. That is the thing that annoys me more than anything else. Calling up a Loftin, ruining a Pratto. Between the lines we need a better manager. I think the cosmic team building has been terrific this year. The GM is the MVP
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Yeah, as we can go from one of sports clichés, biggest mantras, That winning hides weakness, as the wheels fall off the bus post Vinny injury, I find myself wondering if Sparko Has been more right than wrong about Q all year. I definitely haven’t agreed with his take at all, and found it quite laughable as all manager of the year polls Q is ranked two.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The tell with Q is the W-L for starters not named Lugo. Most are .500ish despite all the quality starts. Just doesn't generate offense until late in games.
Massey sure has been ass lately. Pham looks really slow.
Hud right on too. Royals overswinging.
Last edited by Sparko on Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

This is fucking brutal to watch
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

If we lose tonight, see y’all back here next Wednesday. Although, with me, see you next Tuesday would be more appropriate.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Got to fire the hitting coach. Past time. Alec Zumwalt. Regular Charlie Lau. Was in charge of "hitting theory" for the minor league struggling hitters. Other than being Piccolo's buddy, do not see anything he has ever done at the plate. I am seeing zero adjustments. Bunt maybe? Look for a fastball from Bibbee? Maybe? On cue. First pitch double by Pham on a FB
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

If we don’t get at least two here, oy vey.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Playoffs playoffs playoffs playoffs
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Bases loaded. Nobody out. Season on the line. Salvy at bat
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Pham. Jeebus
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Hopefully lol
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

High strike. High strike High strike. Melendez must have quite the scouting report
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Cleveland waiting for offspeed doinks. And another hanging breaking ball punished by a bad hitter.
Last edited by Sparko on Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Brutal