21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by Sparko »

SDS got a guy stuck in the drive-up window of Taco Bell too.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Sparko wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:41 pm SDS got a guy stuck in the drive-up window of Taco Bell too.
Meh, college age fun
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:16 am I guess.

And I know it’s guttery devil’s advocate here, but I’m kinda nervous about our frontcourt depth

and am bummed the only thing Self did to address it this off-season was a western ks true freshman and a D2 redshirt.

And Silvio was tragic and bad press, yea, but it’s also a fun story that a half semester freshman was learning plays in the huddle as he jumped center in overtime of the elite 8

The bar fight was a black eye, no pun intended, but I honestly don’t blame him much for the NCAA witch hunt
Huh? Isn't adding 6-10 Top 40 recruit Zach Clemence and 6'7" 4 star KJ Adams "addressing front court depth"?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:29 am
As far as Self only getting a D2 transfer, i am fairly confident Self was searching for sure fire NBA players for our front court the last 24months. There apparently just weren't any that wanted to come to KU.
And that much is kinda crazy, innit?

We had Cam committed at the end of March, before the tournament was even over yet.

Then mid April we got a commit from - Sidney Curry? Some juco guy who ended up not even coming.

(For reference Remy didn’t commit til May 17)

Maybe we hurried up on the D2/juco guys too soon and didn’t get a chance to shop around more?

Though I dunno who would even have been available.

But it’s just mind boggling to thing we couldn’t attract the interest of some halfway serviceable transfer big with D1 experience

especially cuz they only had to compete for minutes against spazoid Dave and make a wish Mitch

especially cuz we had no problem scoring a whole mess of good experienced D1 guard transfers

And especially cuz of Self’s record with big men.

Or maybe the problem was Self telling guys he was all in on Dave and Mitch? And some D2 and juco guys.

I dunno.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We recruited Christian Bishop, who absolutely no one on this board wanted.

Dave will snap out of it. And, I like Clemence, who is from Western Kansas as much as Wiggins is from West Virginia or Embiid is from Florida.

This team is good but November meltdowns are fun.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

You can mark me down as one who absolutely didn't want Bishop. He's doing basically the same thing at Texas that Mitch Lightfoot is doing at Kansas. And that should surprise no one. He was never very good. He was an undersized, athletic 5 on a run and gun team. Other than "D1 experience", he brought nothing to the table that wasn't already there.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Dave was 2nd team all conference and Big12 most improved player last year. He was on the Wooden Award pre-season watch list for this season.

What's with trying to re-write history? And this is from the guy who wants us to be patient with Wilson, why not do the same for McCormack?

We needed more bigs, we got 3 of them, (4 if you count Curry) we need them to develop.

Even if we were going to play 2 bigs, getting an immediate upgrade over McCormack was a pipe-dream.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:17 pm He was on the Wooden Award pre-season watch list for this season.
yikes

i’d forgotten about that
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:17 pmwhy not do the same for McCormack?
We do need to be patient with McCormack, but it's ridiculously frustrating that we know we have to be.

Seeing the numbers Cockburn is putting up has me drooling.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You could almost say he's making your Cockburn.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ew

(there’s a cream for that…or so i’ve heard)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, maybe the frustration is that we have to be patient

…with an all-conference 4th year senior.

And, just the fact we knew he’s wont to spaz out.

But I think he’ll settle down, and sooner than later this season.

But I wasn’t necessarily looking to upgrade Dave, so much as augment him. More depth, not more starters. We know what we got in Mitch too.

And if I was a pettier type, I’d be saving all these phd posts shitting all over Jalen, cuz dude finna be good.

If he warrants patience over Dave, it’s that one guy has started the whole season and coming in expected to collect accolades, and the other dude has only played limited minutes so far in a delayed start to the season.

Meh whatever, as long as we can all go Tiger Beat on Braun 😍
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:20 pm We recruited Christian Bishop, who absolutely no one on this board wanted.

Dave will snap out of it. And, I like Clemence, who is from Western Kansas as much as Wiggins is from West Virginia or Embiid is from Florida.

I did want Bishop; he's an athletic frontcourt player that this team doesn't have...he's smallish, but makes up for it with his 37" vertical and his toughness...he's trying to dunk everything around the rim (as opposed to McCormick).
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:12 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:29 am
As far as Self only getting a D2 transfer, i am fairly confident Self was searching for sure fire NBA players for our front court the last 24months. There apparently just weren't any that wanted to come to KU.
And that much is kinda crazy, innit?

We had Cam committed at the end of March, before the tournament was even over yet.

Then mid April we got a commit from - Sidney Curry? Some juco guy who ended up not even coming.

(For reference Remy didn’t commit til May 17)

Maybe we hurried up on the D2/juco guys too soon and didn’t get a chance to shop around more?

Though I dunno who would even have been available.

But it’s just mind boggling to thing we couldn’t attract the interest of some halfway serviceable transfer big with D1 experience

especially cuz they only had to compete for minutes against spazoid Dave and make a wish Mitch

especially cuz we had no problem scoring a whole mess of good experienced D1 guard transfers

And especially cuz of Self’s record with big men.

Or maybe the problem was Self telling guys he was all in on Dave and Mitch? And some D2 and juco guys.

I dunno.
Or maybe because we are in the midst of a major recruiting scandal and ADIDAS stopped financially encouraging/enticing players to go to KU for a while until things died down.

And most elite transfers don't go somewhere to compete with a 4th year senior who was 2nd team all conference last year.

I am going to go with that rather than Self telling a bunch of future lotto picks that they aren't good enough to beat out Mitch or Dave.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:36 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:20 pm We recruited Christian Bishop, who absolutely no one on this board wanted.

I did want Bishop; he's an athletic frontcourt player that this team doesn't have...he's smallish, but makes up for it with his 37" vertical and his toughness...he's trying to dunk everything around the rim (as opposed to McCormick).
Have you watched him play this year? He's terrible. I think Mitch gives us as much as Bishop.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ok, now do Joe Yesefu and Cam Martin.

Will just have to see.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:19 pm Yea, maybe the frustration is that we have to be patient

…with an all-conference 4th year senior.

And, just the fact we knew he’s wont to spaz out.

But I think he’ll settle down, and sooner than later this season.

But I wasn’t necessarily looking to upgrade Dave, so much as augment him. More depth, not more starters. We know what we got in Mitch too.

And if I was a pettier type, I’d be saving all these phd posts shitting all over Jalen, cuz dude finna be good.

If he warrants patience over Dave, it’s that one guy has started the whole season and coming in expected to collect accolades, and the other dude has only played limited minutes so far in a delayed start to the season.

Meh whatever, as long as we can all go Tiger Beat on Braun 😍
He missed 3 games, and not to an injury where he needs to recover, or missed practice, or fell out of conditioning.

To be clear, I'm frustrated by both. And think they're in the same boat.

InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Mjl wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:52 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:36 pm

Have you watched him play this year? He's terrible. I think Mitch gives us as much as Bishop.
His stats are good if you consider the limited minutes he's played so far; his plus/minus is good and so is his efficiency rating...and you never have to run plays for the dude.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:06 pmTo be clear, I'm frustrated by both. And think they're in the same boat.
That's where you completely lose me and think you're just trying to score a couple points on ousdahl. Look at how each finished last season--this is an egregious regression for Dave and Jalen is as inconsistent now as he was last Jan/Feb/March. Then the fact that Dave has played twice as many games this season. Then consider Dave is in his 4th year playing, Jalen in his 2nd. Dave has played his entire playing career at one position, Jalen is out of his natural position.

But, the real cherry on top is one is 6'10", a good 2-3" taller, bigger, stronger, more athletic, and can't even currently do things that should naturally come to someone with those god-given attributes.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

3 games vs 6 games.

Wilson has practiced the entire time. Lineups/rotations are not settled.

Wilson was suspended fir a DUI, so missing those games is his own fault. He's not working his way back into shape or behind on the playbook or anything.

Their differences in physical attributes doesn't matter. Especially if we're talking about who should get minutes...you play the guy who's producing. You really wanna lose games playing an undersized big cause it's easier to stomach?

If you're saying expectations are higher for McCormack than Wilson...sure. But both guys are playing far below what was expected of them.

What puts them in the same boat is that over the past two seasons they've both shown that their "off" games are really "off" and that they happen far too frequently.

Jalen is playing as a perimeter 4 guarding mostly other perimeter 4's he's not playing out of position.