21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by ousdahl »

billselfsuggestionbox.jpg

maybe PnR isn’t the best way to put it. All I mean is, when it’s more the guards are moving the ball, and ideally moving off the ball too.

But maybe that’s it. Peak team is peak Dave, and peak Dave is not only actually making the finesse shots but also playing with vision, so that things are happening for the guards moving off the ball too.

So maybe the gripe starts and ends at Dave needs to chill. Maybe like the Morrii can come back to town to mentor.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And by mentor I mean, Lawrence tattoo parlor, then Johnny’s north of the river, then all stars then flamingo. Then go kick the ass of whatever dood has been talking shit on DMac’s mamma, but be smart about it and bring a fall guy. Then to the outhouse, because alibis.

And next thing you know we got another big man playing at an all-conference level!
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:03 pm The truth is that Jalen is average to above-average at many things. But not close to great at any of them.

Ousdahl has just tasked himself as the campaign manager that has to oversell all of the "ok." Quick first step? For his size, at this level, sure. Our best slasher? Campaign manager work.
facts. the only thing elite about jalen is his size for a "guard" (guard/forward)

him having a decent jumper and some guard skills at his size is really valuable at this level. but he isnt elite and anything. and hes pretty average athletically. he doesnt have anything he does ridiculously well but he also doesnt have any obvious weakness. just a good well rounded player.

I'm ready for Jalen to get his rhythm back though. we need him to be better than what he has been
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:59 pm billselfsuggestionbox.jpg

maybe PnR isn’t the best way to put it. All I mean is, when it’s more the guards are moving the ball, and ideally moving off the ball too.
Do you watch our games?

Our guards are "moving the ball" and also "moving off the ball too" the vast majority of every single possession. Even the possessions where we make an entry pass down low to Dave or Mitch. Dave is attempting an entire 7 shots per game. This fake narrative that we are passing too him to much or running our offense thru him is not reality.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:43 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:40 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:37 pm i don’t think it’s a stretch to say that this team’s ceiling is Dave’s ceiling

him playing to his potential elevates this team more than Jalen playing to his potential does
This team doesn't need Dave to be great to play great. They have looked great many times this year with Dave looking like shit. The offense will get figured out with reps. There's just too much talent out there not to figure it out.

This team needs to learn to play better defense to reach their ceiling.
you’re absolutely right

but this team is better with Dave playing to his potential than if he isn’t, regardless of what anyone else does. we’ve got enough pieces at the 2-4 spots that Wilson not playing to his potential isn’t near the detriment to the team
This team, and every other team on the planet, is better when players play to their potential than when they don't. I personally think Wilson's ceiling is higher because DMac is just too much in his own head and that is a hard trait to get past but I do agree that with the way Self's system works that the team would gain more benefit from DMac being really good than from Wilson being really good.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:30 am

Do you watch our games?

Our guards are "moving the ball" and also "moving off the ball too" the vast majority of every single possession. Even the possessions where we make an entry pass down low to Dave or Mitch. Dave is attempting an entire 7 shots per game. This fake narrative that we are passing too him to much or running our offense thru him is not reality.
Check the usage rate over the shots per game. His entire 7 shots per game come in less than 19 minutes. All-American candidate Ochai has a usage rate of 27.1. The next highest of the 9 players averaging double digit minutes? Dave at 25.6 and Mitch at 21.8. A possession is more likely to end in Mitch's hands than it is to end in Braun's or Martin's. I don't think the narrative of the offense running through the post is as fake as you want it to be.
Deleted User 863

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:38 am

Do you watch our games?

Check the usage rate over the shots per game. His entire 7 shots per game come in less than 19 minutes. All-American candidate Ochai has a usage rate of 27.1. The next highest of the 9 players averaging double digit minutes? Dave at 25.6 and Mitch at 21.8. A possession is more likely to end in Mitch's hands than it is to end in Braun's or Martin's. I don't think the narrative of the offense running through the post is as fake as you want it to be.
Where are you getting your usage rate stats for college? Just curious. I get mine from sports reference but sometimes they seem to be slow updating after games.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

Remy with a 20.4% usage and CB at 19.4% are very reasonable numbers.

Dave does gobble up usage in his 19min, but i think if his minutes went up his usage would go down (for example Clemence has a 34% usage rate) ....we are also only 6 games in and JW didn't play in 3 of those which absolutely impacts usage %s for the other front court players.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Dave will always have high usage because he doesn't pass the ball out.

And, at least last year, he has a high TO rate for a big.

PG's always have high usage, and obviously Och and CB need to up theirs from last season.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dave passing the ball out is peak Dave, and also peak for this team.

If he gets good at realizing double teams and open teammates, running the offense thru the post makes a lot more sense
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I'd settle for DMac just getting better at taking the ball straight up to the rim instead of dribbling after catching the ball right by the basket.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:41 am

Do you watch our games?

Where are you getting your usage rate stats for college? Just curious. I get mine from sports reference but sometimes they seem to be slow updating after games.
That's exactly where I got mine. And I realize it's a small sample size. I can also see Ochai's usage dipping a little bit. Self telling him to shoot late in a blow out so he could get 1,000 points at home ups his rate a bit.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:58 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:41 am

That's exactly where I got mine. And I realize it's a small sample size. I can also see Ochai's usage dipping a little bit. Self telling him to shoot late in a blow out so he could get 1,000 points at home ups his rate a bit.
I'll give Mitch a break on that stat because pretty much the only time he catches the ball on the block is when there's like 8 seconds left on the shot clock.

Clemence is in launch mode.
Deleted User 863

Clemence is definitely in launch mode. I don't hate it though. Part of me wishes we'd just throw him out there now and see where he gets to come March....but i know we need Dave's size even if deep down i will always be very nervous whenever he touches the ball.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:45 am I'd settle for DMac just getting better at taking the ball straight up to the rim instead of dribbling after catching the ball right by the basket.
Yeah.

He hesitates, squares up in the post, and collects or dribbles. He does it so he can assess, but also has the effect of letting the defense reset and/or double.

“score before you get the ball”

ETA Besides, Dave assessing is Dave thinking, and that’s the last thing we want Dave doing
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

one of the absolute worst thing any big can do is put the ball on the ground (or even below their waist) after getting a post feed

yet so many fail to learn that lesson
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Has Dave ever just caught it in the right spot and gone straight up toward the hoop in rhythm, like all our other good bigs knew to do?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:12 am Has Dave ever just caught it in the right spot and gone straight up toward the hoop in rhythm, like all our other good bigs knew to do?
yes
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

If you count alley oops, I suppose you could say yes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

While he’s done it and can do it, it just doesn’t seem to be his instinct.

With our best bigs, they often scored within a fraction of a second - their defender was pinned, and all they had to do was catch it in a continuous motion toward the hoop.

But that’s just not Dave. Even if he makes a move in rhythm, it’s more likely to be some finesse thing parallel to or away from the hoop, rather than a bully thing toward it.