21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by PhDhawk »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:07 pm No one needs to eat crow on McCormack regardless of what was said.

He’s bad* and we’re playing a real shitty game of Russian roulette with him.

*context matters here
It was a joke.

The roulette part of your post is a likely what limits this team.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:07 pm I think these things are true.

The offense is better with two primary ball handlers. Harris has been that guy, but he has to do SOMETHING more productive or we become too easy to guard.

Wilson has the skillset to actually be the second ball handler and still allow the offense to run smoothly, but he's mostly played like shit.
Haven’t seen last nights game yet, but Wilson has definitely been disappointing so far.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

I think two primary ballhandlers could be offset by everyone 1-4+ having ball skills.

The offense is less clear out and let Marcus walk it up, and more just whoever gets it goes.

And in the half court, maybe small guards can be better about getting to spots, but the ball - and the players - are moving better in our sets either way.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:11 pm Yea.

I think two primary ballhandlers could be offset by everyone 1-4+ having ball skills.

The offense is less clear out and let Marcus walk it up, and more just whoever gets it goes.

And in the half court, maybe small guards can be better about getting to spots, but the ball - and the players - are moving better in our sets either way.
One issue though is martin seems to prefer to play and play better off the ball.

It may be tough to play Martin and 3 wings for many minutes.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'd like to see a breakdown of Dave's numbers when we play at a faster pace/more possessions.

He seemed pretty comfortable with last night's style of play, and was really disruptive on defense, I only recall one bad defensive play, and then the TCU and West Virginia games last season stick out where we played fast and he played pretty well.

And maybe Self told him to just concentrate on the little things b/c that's what it looked like to me: get rebounds, be aggressive.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

He played great last night. I think when he reacts and doesn't have time to think, he plays better.

I still want to know why his defensive rotations were so slow over Thanksgiving. That's an area where other than those three games he's really improved.

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The offense is better with two primary ball handlers. Harris has been that guy, but he has to do SOMETHING more productive or we become too easy to guard.

Wilson has the skillset to actually be the second ball handler and still allow the offense to run smoothly, but he's mostly played like shit.
That's the accurate take on the situation.

As opposed to
"Harris doesn't score so he sucks!"
"But the team scores better when he plays."
"But he doesn't score! Let's play the guy who misses a lot of shots instead!"
Sigh.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Harris does some nice things in the half court to get the offense moving.

It's just that it's a little disappointing if he's our only guard sans Remy that can do that.

I said last night and still think that it's going to be a problem down the road. I think it bites us in conference play and against top competition if he's playing 30.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:35 pmHe played great last night. I think when he reacts and doesn't have time to think, he plays better.
And Bill needs to protect him.

His offensive foul last night looked like a designed set/play. We had Dave moving all around the lane while swinging the ball and then rocketed a chest pass to him for him to quickly catch, turn, and put off the glass. A weak side defender recovers and Dave smacks him. It was a tough offensive foul call, but I don't understand running that for him in the first place.

I know that kind of goes against your "no time to think" notion (which I agree with), but I just don't think Dave has the footwork or center of gravity to consistently pull that kind of stuff off.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I think CB and Och are more than capable of being second ball handlers. Just because they aren't short doesn't mean they aren't capable ball handlers. And CB is our best post feeder.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:40 pm Harris does some nice things in the half court to get the offense moving.

It's just that it's a little disappointing if he's our only guard sans Remy that can do that.

I said last night and still think that it's going to be a problem down the road. I think it bites us in conference play and against top competition if he's playing 30.
Oh, no doubt. The St John's players were running at Harris at the perimeter. In conference play that's not going to happen. Either Harris needs to be able to score willingly and better, Wilson will need to play better, and/or Yesufu will need to learn to play in Self's system.

I just think Harris gets overly shat upon.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Didn’t Harris air ball the fuck out of a wide open 3?

That deserves a little shittery.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:07 pm

I agree with your point about height. But they proved last year to not be the secondary ball handlers.

I think CB and Och are more than capable of being second ball handlers. Just because they aren't short doesn't mean they aren't capable ball handlers. And CB is our best post feeder.

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:39 pm Didn’t Harris air ball the fuck out of a wide open 3?

Why?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:07 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:39 pm Didn’t Harris air ball the fuck out of a wide open 3?

Why?
lol
Deleted User 863

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:59 pm I agree with your point about height. But they proved last year to not be the secondary ball handlers.
Your response quoted weird...

I think both have improved significantly since last year.
Deleted User 863

It maybe(?) grazed the front of the rim. Maybe.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:19 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:59 pm I agree with your point about height. But they proved last year to not be the secondary ball handlers.
Your response quoted weird...

I think both have improved significantly since last year.
I hope you're right.

I'd be interested to see the team stats fir lineups with 2 combo guards and 2 wings compared to 1 combo guard and 3 wings.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Self seemed to play Adams more as a 4 than a 5 last night.

I'm really excited about Jr. Adams as a hybrid 4.

Deleted User 863

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:27 pm Self seemed to play Adams more as a 4 than a 5 last night.

I'm really excited about Jr. Adams as a hybrid 4.
Yes. I was shocked to see "2 bigs" for a few minutes.

It also appears Dave Mitch Clemence and Adams are ALL more likely to play minutes at the 5 than Jalen.