Official Gamethread UK vs KU

Kansas Basketball.
ramjet
Contributor

Re: Official Gamethread UK vs KU

Post by ramjet »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:26 am lol at Self pimping Yes then giving him the short leash yet again

but the only thing Yes did was that awkward pump fake 3 which he bricked anyway

and some hideous defense
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:26 am lol at Self pimping Yes then giving him the short leash yet again

I think part of that was dictated by the matchups. UK is big. Yes and Bobby are not. Likely why MJ got more leash than normal.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Yes was horrid on D
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

He’s just not big enough for his game. Not at the high major level.
Deleted User 863

KUTradition wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:38 am Yes was horrid on D
As was MJ.

MJ seems sort of slow. Yes is fast on offense and slow on defense. Which is weird.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don’t think he’s done getting Yes involved, but I had doubts about Yes delivering after the pressure of the public vote of confidence.

But we saw a different Bill yesterday. Getting that fire back.
Deleted User 863

Yes and Bobby have to be involved. It's a numbers game and we've got nobody else.

Self's reaction at the end of the game was very telling. He ALWAYS wants to beat Cal and UK.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not sure. I campaigned for Yes to get run in yesterday’s game, and Self did too. It made sense, and we had to try something.

He faceplanted. I’m kind of done with him.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:30 am Not sure. I campaigned for Yes to get run in yesterday’s game, and Self did too. It made sense, and we had to try something.

He faceplanted. I’m kind of done with him.
Last night KM and JW brought the ball up A LOT (especially late). And they did well. Which we need if that's how we are going to get DH off the ball or out of the game for 5-10min per game.

But we also have to be careful not to wear down KM and JW in the process of trying not to wear down DH.

I feel you on Yes. I like the kid. Want him to do well. But he's just not quite good enough yet. I wonder what'll happen with he and Bobby over the offseason because the incoming freshman may beat them both out next year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If Yesufu is the same guy at the end of the season as he is now, then I wouldn’t want him back.

Outrageously inconsistent, can’t seem to scratch his own ceiling, and are we also seeing that you have to manage him psychologically and treat him delicately? DMac was one of the most psychologically high maintenance guys we’ve had here, but Self at least could pull the good out of him at times. Been almost two seasons and even Bill Self can’t seem to find the right buttons to push with Yesufu.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Yesefu should probably transfer down a rung...seems like the MVC was a perfect fit for him. The style of play that got Yesufu to KU is not the style of play he'll ever see at KU...he seems like a good dude and I want him to be successful, I just don't think that'll ever be as a Jayhawk.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Yes is useful against some match-ups. Tennessee and UK aren't those, but he is a better match against the foul and forget Silo-techsters.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m not trying to defend Yes, but…

How much Bad Dave did we live thru to get to the Good Dave?

If we had pulled Dave the moment he did something bad and never checked him back in, he would have always looked bad. But we rode thru much of it — in large part just cuz he was the only real big we had.

And granted, only real big is a more important role that you might be more willing to afford more patience for, than undersized 2-guard spark off the bench.

But part of me wonders if the short leash treatment, and maybe not being sure ourselves how we wanna use him, has something to do with it.

I thought he was gonna spell minutes at the 1? But he came in at the 2.

And, I don’t wanna blame the short leash much, cuz you’d think a dood with this much experience both in the program and at the D1 level should be able to check in for 3 minutes and at least not suck on D but also take a sucky guarded hesitation 3 or whatever you wanna call that.

And, without pointing the finger solely at Yes, it would def be nice to have SOME depth going for us on the perimeter.

And in the frontcourt too. (Hi Ernest!)
Deleted User 863

InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:33 am Yesefu should probably transfer down a rung...seems like the MVC was a perfect fit for him. The style of play that got Yesufu to KU is not the style of play he'll ever see at KU...he seems like a good dude and I want him to be successful, I just don't think that'll ever be as a Jayhawk.
It's not uncommon for this to happen.

And I think Yes would have been fine at the vast majority of power 5 schools. But KU is a different beast.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:49 amAnd I think Yes would have been fine at the vast majority of power 5 schools. But KU is a different beast.
I don't see this at all. Thinking about Baylor's guards or Texas's guards, Yesufu would be buried even deeper there. Even Kentucky he'd have a hard time hanging onto the rotation.

There have been legitimate concerns about Harris and even more so with Pettiford this season and their ability to be a top guard in the league. Yesufu can't even beat out those guys. They all seem like mid-major talent, but only Harris has been able to raise his level.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think Yesufu is just a bad fit. Sorta like Clemence. He's a decent ballplayer. But he's small and needs the ball in his hands but he doesn't have the right skillset to be a PG at KU under Self. So, he plays off the ball but isn't a catch and shoot guy and isn't big enough to make backdoor cuts or catch lobs.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:04 pm I think Yesufu is just a bad fit. Sorta like Clemence. He's a decent ballplayer. But he's small and needs the ball in his hands but he doesn't have the right skillset to be a PG at KU under Self. So, he plays off the ball but isn't a catch and shoot guy and isn't big enough to make backdoor cuts or catch lobs.
I think he’d be really good at a place like Houston, SMU, Memphis. Undersized guards do well there and play above their talent.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:25 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:49 amAnd I think Yes would have been fine at the vast majority of power 5 schools. But KU is a different beast.
I don't see this at all. Thinking about Baylor's guards or Texas's guards, Yesufu would be buried even deeper there. Even Kentucky he'd have a hard time hanging onto the rotation.

There have been legitimate concerns about Harris and even more so with Pettiford this season and their ability to be a top guard in the league. Yesufu can't even beat out those guys. They all seem like mid-major talent, but only Harris has been able to raise his level.
The "vast majority" wouldn't include really good backcourts like baylor Texas or Kentucky.

But he's better than mid major imo.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:13 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:04 pm I think Yesufu is just a bad fit. Sorta like Clemence. He's a decent ballplayer. But he's small and needs the ball in his hands but he doesn't have the right skillset to be a PG at KU under Self. So, he plays off the ball but isn't a catch and shoot guy and isn't big enough to make backdoor cuts or catch lobs.
I think he’d be really good at a place like Houston, SMU, Memphis. Undersized guards do well there and play above their talent.
He's better than Charlie Moore and he did well at Miami in the ACC.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:16 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:25 pm

The "vast majority" wouldn't include really good backcourts like baylor Texas or Kentucky.

But he's better than mid major imo.
I think he’d start on about half the Power 5.

The majority of his time at Drake, he struggled like he has here and wasn’t a starter.

You might just be trying to be kind to him here, which I get but for me it’s been a season and a half. Time to do something.