COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by ousdahl »

Oh yeah.

Hey tdub!

The crooked creek is closed down. I think they got in trouble for having too many people in house all the time.

They have one of those signs in the window that normally says has specials listed like “fried walleye Fridays” and stuff. (It’s a Michigan Catholic thing.)

But right now the sign just says,

“Scapegoat

$$$$”

(Recall, business as usual at the ski resort with 109+ active cases among employees...)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Nooooo. Not the crick. All my bars closing up, all my rowdy friends have settled down.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Beav just tested positive.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ugh, stay safe
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Damn, that's not good news.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Left work and went straight to the covid testing joint.

Small room with one other guy in there. While I’m filling out the form, like 15 other people show up, including a family letting a bunch of little kids just run around.

I get to shove the q tip up my nose. I was hoping someone else would do it, so I could have said, “damn, last time someone was that deep inside me, I at least got dinner out of it first,” but alas.

Now I’m supposed to sit in my car for 10 minutes then go knock on the window.

Oh boy oh boy.

https://youtu.be/uMyCa35_mOg
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Negative!

This isn’t the first time I somehow didn’t get infected from close contact with a beaver...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

A few thoughts:

When I got tested last summer, the dude came out in a full hazmat suit and multiple masks and gloves and goggles. This time, two firefighters wore t shorts and single masks and no gloves and came out shuffling around like 15 tests at once.

They just put the q tip in a little envelope that gave a one or two line result, like a pregnancy test, and tells you in 10 minutes. Last time, the test had to be sent off to a lab and wait for results til the next day.

If, when we all had to lock down last spring, we had all got like two weeks worth of those tests, couldn’t we have saved us all lot of trouble?

Apparently my county is 2nd worst in the state, and 17th worst in the country.

The hardest part of all of this is beav. He’s not sick or anything. He’s just being a total little bitch. Just stop. You don’t even have any real symptoms so quit pouting. I’m not excited about this either but I’m at least trying to not be a bitch about it.

I didn’t realize workers get 48 hours of “covid pay” this year either.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Your work knows you are living with someone who is positive and is cool with your coming in to work?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

No, I was at work when beav tested positive and left as soon as he called.

I’m out at least 10 days, pending a second covid test in 5-7 days, and stuff.

Will prob do some work from home tho. And also fish lol. Supposed to be a little warmer Monday!
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Gotcha! Well, I hope you stay healthy!
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:31 pm No, I was at work when beav tested positive and left as soon as he called.

I’m out at least 10 days, pending a second covid test in 5-7 days, and stuff.

Will prob do some work from home tho. And also fish lol. Supposed to be a little warmer Monday!
I thought you were a fishing guide... How do you work from home?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cast really, really far.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Ous just outed himself.

If you have a minute, he would like to speak to you about your car's warranty....
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I haven't been guiding for almost 2 years now.

remember the official funemployed thread?

if you must know, I subsequently got more of a big kid job as a marketing coordinator, and actually just recently got promoted to manager LOL
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I made the mistake of speaking up about lack of training and staffing. We were getting complaints from staff that they didn't' feel prepared to do shit, and complaints from guests that the staff didn't seem to know what they were doing. I spoke up about staffing, and how we never filled the positions we planned to, and the other staffers are never disciplined for things like showing up late or leaving early or refusing to do shit, which resulted in me having to work every day even though (precisely because) I wasn't eligible for OT. Then I got in a standoff with management cuz they wouldn't pay me back for out-of-pocket expenses.

Then they took away my guiding privileges and said, if you wanna work here then you're stuck in the shop from now on. The only way I'd get to guide any more, they said, was when one of the other guides pulled their signature "I don't feel like working today after all, just have ousdahl do it, since instead of actually disciplining us you turned his position into a band aid instead"

I arranged a meeting with top brass and said, hey I'm really being undercut here. Rather than put me in a compromised position where I have to play free safety for the whole operation, why not just actually discipline guides when they refuse to work and/or hire more guides like mewho are willing and reliable? Oh, and we're still not training anyone, here's a training manual I'd like to propose. Oh oh, and here are the job postings management said they'd post two season ago to attract staff with the right skillsets so I don't have to work every day of the summer. and BTW you guys still owe me for out of pocket shit from 3 months ago.

Management took it not as constructive, but as an insult to the management. They waited til I was on vacation to call me in and said, "here's that check to pay you back for out of pocket shit, btw we're letting you go."

Everyone I've talked to since has said the operation has gone even more down the shitter. To this day, I still have no idea what management actually does at that place.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

in hindsight I suppose, from the perspective of the billionaire sociopath resort owner who thinks of the place not as a matter of pride in guest experience but as a matter of just another chapter in his portfolio, lack of staffing was probably a good thing. Keep payroll low this this quarter!

but (and keeping this on topic) as soon as covid hit, the high ranking manager who brought the hammer down on me got called in for a meeting and they said, "if you wanna keep your job here, sure, but we're only paying you half as much to do it from now on," prompting that manager leave in a hurry. That's just such a poetic justice karma slap, right? Cuz that's conspicuously similar to what that asshole did to me.

And the only way the owner would put that manager in that situation, I imagine, is cuz the owner finally caught on that manager didn't actually do anything. So I was right all along?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

whoa, that got a little tldr and guttery.

sorry guys!

I *swear* I'm over it! heh heh...
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Break up with her