21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:22 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:05 amAs were his comments about Yesufu getting more minutes. But for different reasons. One to motivate to play better, the other to motivate to stay positive and that his time will come (just probably not this year).
Last game showed why we should ideally have Pettiford or Yesufu ready to play later on in the 2022 season. One ball handler for Self gets him in trouble, with the exception of Devonte' in 2018, which was not a COVID year. Maybe that would be Pettiford being the more natural PG, but he has the injury. Harris showed a disappointing lack of game awareness by picking up a cheap 2nd foul early in the first half against George Mason.

This has always been a Self Achilles' heel.
if only we had a guard good enough to ride for 40+ minutes a night like Devonte.

but yeah. ballhandling guards was a point of priority this offseason, so we went out and got a bunch of them. You gotta figure we're gonna take advantage of that - at least we need to, if this team's gonna reach its ceiling.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

LOL what makes anyone think Yesufu is better at ball handling and initiating the offense than Och or CB? He simply hasn't shown that.

We didn't need another ball handler against george mason. All we needed to do was knock down our normal shots. If Och and CB shoot their averages we win by 20.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:37 amWe didn't need another ball handler against george mason. All we needed to do was knock down our normal shots.
I don't know how one could be convinced that those two things aren't related.

Regardless, what can't be argued against is that Harris played poorly where he was the lone PG.
Deleted User 863

On a per 40 basis Yesufu turns the ball over at a higher rate than CB and Och.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:40 am On a per 40 basis Yesufu turns the ball over at a higher rate than CB and Och.
That's because he plays point guard.

CB and Och are the best wing combination in the entire country. Why in the world would we want to break that up?
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:40 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:37 amWe didn't need another ball handler against george mason. All we needed to do was knock down our normal shots.

Regardless, what can't be argued against is that Harris played poorly where he was the lone PG.
CB and Och missed open shots they usually make. That has nothing to do with ball handling.

JCL didn't need another ball handler. He just made his shots.

Why would Och and CB need another ball handler to make their shots but JCL didn't? Doesn't make sense to me.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:42 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:40 am On a per 40 basis Yesufu turns the ball over at a higher rate than CB and Och.

CB and Och are the best wing combination in the entire country. Why in the world would we want to break that up?
We don't want to break that up.

And Yesufu has hardly played PG for us at all. When he's come in it's often been as the 2 because he's fucking lost on offense. Last game he got a chance. And looked like someone who should be our 3rd string PG playing about 5mpg.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:42 am

CB and Och missed open shots they usually make. That has nothing to do with ball handling.

JCL didn't need another ball handler. He just made his shots.

Why would Och and CB need another ball handler to make their shots but JCL didn't? Doesn't make sense to me.
To use your typical lines:

"Maybe it's because you don't watch games close enough. If you couldn't see that the entire half court offense was different without Remy, then I can't help you."
Deleted User 863

Shots are shots. They missed open ones. It's not as complicated as you're making it.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

did you forget you’re talking to the one poster who’ll argue anything?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:43 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:42 am

We don't want to break that up.

And Yesufu has hardly played PG for us at all. When he's come in it's often been as the 2 because he's fucking lost on offense.
I'm not here to defend Yesufu--I've been harder on him than almost anyone. It's just a long pattern with Self's offense and philosophy. Again, ideally, we would have Pettiford or Yesufu ready to play late in the season. Maybe it doesn't happen for a variety of reasons, but it doesn't change what the ideal situation would be. I would hope the head coach does his part to try and get there.
Deleted User 863

The answer isn't Yesufu at this point. Remy and DH are our small guards. Remy CB and Och can all play 32mpg. Self wants DH around 25. So for the vast majority of the game and in closing time we will likely have Remy and DH out there. 15mpg will be Jalen at the 4 with only 1 of the small guards out there, the rest of Jalens minutes will have 2 guards and mix and match with Och and CB.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:46 am Shots are shots. They missed open ones. It's not as complicated as you're making it.
By that logic, everything was also fine with the 2019 and 2021 offensive lineups. We just missed shots.

We have it all figured out. Just score more points than the other team and you'll win.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Pettiford and Yesufu are also both the kinds of guys who might just turn a corner and look like a whole new asset for a few games in March.

just cuz they're not brilliant right now doesn't mean they won't contribute anything.

This time in 2018, Malik still sucked too.

(I guess the difference is Malik was still getting big minutes, rather than the total short leash treatement)
Last edited by ousdahl on Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:13 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:06 am I just think it means Dave's gonna sit sooner when he plays poorly.
That's for sure. I'm just sick of having to play mind games with him, especially now that he's a senior and multi-year starter.

I'd feel better about it if Mitch were some great defensive player or defensive rebounder, but he's not. Dave's such a below average defensive rebounder for his size, but Mitch is, statistically, even worse! And with Dave's post defense being so much better, we're clearly better with Dave on that side of the ball.

Offensively, though, we look pretty good with Mitch because we're not force feeding him down there early in the shot clock. Mitch gets easy baskets set up by everyone collapsing on our guards. Need to do the same with Dave.
I don't think the mind games work, and may negatively impact Dave. Self just needs to play the best lineups and distribute minutes based on merit. No need to go public, especially for a spazz who over thinks everything.

Agree completely with you about defense. Mitch is fine against certain lineups but will get worked by physical bigs.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:48 am15mpg will be Jalen at the 4 with only 1 of the small guards out there.
Which has gone swimmingly to this point.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:48 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:46 am Shots are shots. They missed open ones. It's not as complicated as you're making it.
By that logic, everything was also fine with the 2019 and 2021 offensive lineups. We just missed shots.

We have it all figured out. Just score more points than the other team and you'll win.
It's 1 game.

Do you think CB and Och suddenly got worse? I don't. I think they missed shots. On a new years day game. I think it's an outlier. We don't need to disregard the entire season of evidence due to 1 game where Remy was injured.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:48 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:13 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:06 am I just think it means Dave's gonna sit sooner when he plays poorly.
That's for sure. I'm just sick of having to play mind games with him, especially now that he's a senior and multi-year starter.

I'd feel better about it if Mitch were some great defensive player or defensive rebounder, but he's not. Dave's such a below average defensive rebounder for his size, but Mitch is, statistically, even worse! And with Dave's post defense being so much better, we're clearly better with Dave on that side of the ball.

Offensively, though, we look pretty good with Mitch because we're not force feeding him down there early in the shot clock. Mitch gets easy baskets set up by everyone collapsing on our guards. Need to do the same with Dave.
I don't think the mind games work, and may negatively impact Dave. Self just needs to play the best lineups and distribute minutes based on merit. No need to go public, especially for a spazz who over thinks everything.

Agree completely with you about defense. Mitch is fine against certain lineups but will get worked by physical bigs.
I agree on the mind games, and Self may know it at this point, which might be why he just goes with Mitch (if he does).
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:49 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:48 am15mpg will be Jalen at the 4 with only 1 of the small guards out there.
Which has gone swimmingly to this point.
He probably just needed more ball handlers. That's gotta be why he's shooting 9% from 3pt and 41% from the line, 38% fg overall. He needs yesufu out there running around lost. That'll do the trick!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:50 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:48 am

It's 1 game.

Do you think CB and Och suddenly got worse? I don't. I think they missed shots. On a new years day game. I think it's an outlier. We don't need to disregard the entire season of evidence due to 1 game where Remy was injured.
This is not one game. The offense hasn't looked good with only 1 of Remy or Harris all season. Self's offense with 1 ball handler hasn't looked good for most of the past decade+.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill with my comment that it would be ideally better to have a 3rd ballhandler ready to play off the bench. You're the only poster in the world that would twist that to argue against it.