Dumbfuck in charge

Ugh.
Deleted User 89

Re: Dumbfuck in charge

Post by Deleted User 89 »

unless i mis-heard, the first two UK cases were baggage handlers for British Airways
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TDub wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:49 am
Grandma wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:25 am The European travel ban - Might not have been a bad idea for the giant orange dildo to discuss it with the "leaders" of the European nations that are affected. Or at least give them a heads up he was going to do it before he announced it.
I'm about to deal with an airline, hotel, and car rental service - and since I'm a dumbass, I paid everything upfront. I figure it is going to be a hassle to get my money back - or at least a refund - and that it's not going to happen too quickly.
Of course there are worse things. I can and will put it in perspective.
We are not required to get an ok from European leaders to do what we think is best for the nation. If the European leaders didnt think it was a good idea should we listen, should we let that impact what our decisions are for the country?
I think we listen and engage in a respectful dialogue before doing what is best for our country - which probably would have been shutting down international travel about three weeks ago. Anyone remember where I left my time machine?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Seems like Trump was trying to foreclose the possibility/likelihood that Europeans were going to impose travel bans on the U.S. Given that places like Germany--with leaders who weren't stupid to begin with and now in dementia--have responded to the threats of the virus with reasonable precautions and lots more testing than our anti-science president and his anti-science advisers can tolerate.

If the U.S. comes up with 1,000s more cases as testing starts to happen, the Europeans might have shamed Trump even further by imposing travel restrictions against U.S. travelers.
Don't inject Lysol.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Germany had 802 new cases today and i dont believe they have closed their borders as of earlier this week.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

And europe should stop travelers from the US. Everyone should stop travlleres from everywhere until the situation can be better assessed.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 303

Post by Deleted User 303 »

TDub wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 pm Germany had 802 new cases today and i dont believe they have closed their borders as of earlier this week.
Merkel isn't fucking around with expectations tho.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/worl ... rmany.html
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Merkel is actually a scientist rather than a real estate salesman.
Don't inject Lysol.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Merkel is also retiring.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:09 pm
Grandma wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:25 am The European travel ban - Might not have been a bad idea for the giant orange dildo to discuss it with the "leaders" of the European nations that are affected. Or at least give them a heads up he was going to do it before he announced it.
I'm about to deal with an airline, hotel, and car rental service - and since I'm a dumbass, I paid everything upfront. I figure it is going to be a hassle to get my money back - or at least a refund - and that it's not going to happen too quickly.
Of course there are worse things. I can and will put it in perspective.
We are not required to get an ok from European leaders to do what we think is best for the nation. If the European leaders didnt think it was a good idea should we listen, should we let that impact what our decisions are for the country?
I think we listen and engage in a respectful dialogue before doing what is best for our country - which probably would have been shutting down international travel about three weeks ago. Anyone remember where I left my time machine?
Maybe check the bag drop at Mar-A-Lago?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:46 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:09 pm

Maybe check the bag drop at Mar-A-Lago?
Never been. Based on my travel habits over the past year, it has to be in Central or Southcentral Kansas.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:39 pm Merkel is also retiring.
Based on last night's speaking to the nation, I'd think that so is our leader.

But apart from their difference between being a scientist and a realtor, there's also a vast difference in intelligence.
Don't inject Lysol.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

If you say so.

O'course Merkel is fortunate that she will not go down in history as Germany's worst chancellor.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Ben Wittes has a point.

Don't inject Lysol.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I am shocked to learn that a country that canes foreign visitors for vandalizing cars was able to enforce social distancing and self-quarantining.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:07 pm I am shocked to learn that a country that canes foreign visitors for vandalizing cars was able to enforce social distancing and self-quarantining.
I've heard Singaporeans are taught at an early age to respect the "authorities". True? False?
If true, imagine that.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

The catch may be having authorities worthy of respect.
Deleted User 289

I think you're spot on.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:25 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:07 pm I am shocked to learn that a country that canes foreign visitors for vandalizing cars was able to enforce social distancing and self-quarantining.
I've heard Singaporeans are taught at an early age to respect the "authorities". True? False?
If true, imagine that.
One of my fellow professors is from Singapore, and he would affirm that. Respect there is much like that in other Asian countries. It is owed, not earned, and deviation from expectations is not tolerated.
Deleted User 289

I'm not opposed to that at all. As long as it doesn't get too extreme - but who is the ultimate decided of that?
Anyways, sort of reminds me of a story I saw on the news or 60 Minutes many years ago.
It was about education in Asian countries compared to the USA.
Someone asked an Asian kid who moved from an Asian country to the USA what he felt the difference was in the country's educational systems. He basically said, in my country (where he came from) we are taught to respect our teachers and the best students are the popular ones and are admired by their peers. In the USA, kids don't respect their teachers and if you are a good student you are considered a nerd and are ostracized by your peers.