Ugh.
Mjl

Re: 2024

Post by Mjl »

Feral wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:14 pm
zsn wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:48 am Ranked-choice voting.
^^^
This is my #1 issue. I think it helps our current biggest problem (polar extremism).
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Mjl wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:07 pm
Feral wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:14 pm
zsn wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:48 am Ranked-choice voting.
^^^
This is my #1 issue. I think it helps our current biggest problem (polar extremism).
^^^
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Stick a fork in the woman who claims/calimed she has the biggest dick in Chicago!

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/28/politics ... index.html

Only thing I will miss are moments like these......

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Well Gutter, now that your dream has come true…commit to the Jayhawk event in the SLV
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

^^^
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Would like to but have too many up in the air things right now that make it impossible for me to commit.

Back to something no one but me cares about....

Look at the map in the link below. Chicago is a very diverse city and yet the map pretty much shows me the "segregation".

For reference, Vallas is White, Johnson and Lightfoot are Black, Garcia is Hispanic. The map very much reflects the communities and their "loyalty" to those of the same "race".
Will be interesting to see how much yellow becomes red or orange.
Thus, my feeling Johnson (20% of the vote in the initial election) has a legit chance to beat Vallas (34% of the vote in the initial election) in the run off.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/chicago-mayo ... s/3084109/
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

You say that as if it's surprising? The term "hypersegregation" was coined in 1989 in describing not just large metros but Chicago in particular.

I think the liberal approaches to gentrification by force, e.g. Cabrini Green, have not gone well.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Gutter, some people say that Johnson is a former public school teacher, union organizer, and county commissioner.

And that Paul Vallas, former Chicago Public Schools CEO, is a conservative who has called himself “more of a Republican than a Democrat”, and a public school privatizer who has said he opposes abortion and has the full backing of the Fraternal Order of Police. It was during Vallas’ tenure that Chicago Public Schools stopped making regular payments into the teachers’ pension fund, according to Politifact.

Can you confirm?
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Mjl wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:51 pm You say that as if it's surprising? The term "hypersegregation" was coined in 1989 in describing not just large metros but Chicago in particular.

I think the liberal approaches to gentrification by force, e.g. Cabrini Green, have not gone well.
Have to admit, I've never heard the words "Cabrini Green" and "gentrification" used in the same sentence.
Derek Cressman
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Feral wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:46 pm
Mjl wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:51 pm You say that as if it's surprising? The term "hypersegregation" was coined in 1989 in describing not just large metros but Chicago in particular.

Have to admit, I've never heard the words "Cabrini Green" and "gentrification" used in the same sentence.
I mean, it was low income housing in an otherwise very wealthy area. Not sure what you'd call it.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Is that reverse gentrification?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

So how is it racism when the same people that elect you decide you shouldn't be reelected after seeing how your term went?Real question here lol
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Surprising to different degrees.
Not surprised Blacks votes for Blacks, Whites vote for Whites, and Hispanics vote for Hispanics.
More surprised at how blatant and pronounced the map is.
On a related note, if I am not mistaken, I believe Johnson didn't even win his own Ward.

As far as gentrification by force and Cabrini Green, I agree, not gone well.
Coincidently, I recently read a book called High Risers. It's about Cabrini Green and public housing. Written by a guy who spoke to our company.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Feral wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:44 pm Gutter, some people say that Johnson is a former public school teacher, union organizer, and county commissioner.

And that Paul Vallas, former Chicago Public Schools CEO, is a conservative who has called himself “more of a Republican than a Democrat”, and a public school privatizer who has said he opposes abortion and has the full backing of the Fraternal Order of Police. It was during Vallas’ tenure that Chicago Public Schools stopped making regular payments into the teachers’ pension fund, according to Politifact.

Can you confirm?
Yes, I would say vaguely confirmed.
Vallas has said he "fundamentally" opposes abortion. Has the backing of the FOP but was not afraid to criticize them for supporting Ron DeSantis.
My cousin was involved in a lot of the CPS stuff. Too complicated to get in to right now.

Vallas will get my vote.

Without going in to too many details... We have several former Chicago political people working for our company. Former Mayoral Chief of Staff, Mayoral Senior Advisor, Top Mayoral Political Advisor, CFL President and Deputy Chief Operating Officer.
Have had very brief conversations with them about their pasts and the current state of the city.
It is beyond complicated in regards to who is truly in power and who pulls the strings.

Crazy thing is one of them told me on Tuesday that he figured Vallas would get 33-36% of the vote, and thought Johnson would get about 20%, and Lightfoot and Chuey would get about 18% a piece. Guy was dead on - other than Chuey.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:05 am So how is it racism when the same people that elect you decide you shouldn't be reelected after seeing how your term went?Real question here lol
That's actually a good question. It's probably not racism.
I voted for her in her first term. I did not vote for her on Tuesday.
It is racism/discrimination when those who didn't vote for her didn't vote for her because she is black, and/or a woman, and/or gay.
My hope is there were not many of those people but my guess is there are/were plenty.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:31 am
randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:05 am So how is it racism when the same people that elect you decide you shouldn't be reelected after seeing how your term went?Real question here lol
It is racism/discrimination when those who didn't vote for her didn't vote for her because she is black, and/or a woman, and/or gay.
My hope is there were not many of those people but my guess is there are/were plenty.
I'm sure there were a few that genuinely didn't vote for her either time cause of racism. But it seems like the majority of people voted for her the first time, didn't think she did a good job. And voted for someone else. And neither vote had anything to do with her race
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it's between me and jesus who i voted for. so if i didn't tell anybody who i voted for. nobody. does it make me rascist if a person of color does not get elected or re-elected.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:16 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:31 am
I'm sure there were a few that genuinely didn't vote for her either time cause of racism. But it seems like the majority of people voted for her the first time, didn't think she did a good job. And voted for someone else. And neither vote had anything to do with her race
I have to agree because I am one of those people you describe in your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sentences.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:23 pm it's between me and jesus who i voted for. so if i didn't tell anybody who i voted for. nobody. does it make me rascist if a person of color does not get elected or re-elected.
FWIW (something - maybe a Gideon's Bible and a slice of Strawberry Cheesecake?) Chuy Garcia's first name is Jesus. Do you consider Hispanics people of color? I'm not going to label you racist because he didn't get elected. Chuy or Lori Lightfoot might.

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:34 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:23 pm it's between me and jesus who i voted for. so if i didn't tell anybody who i voted for. nobody. does it make me rascist if a person of color does not get elected or re-elected.
FWIW (something - maybe a Gideon's Bible and a slice of Strawberry Cheesecake?) Chuy Garcia's first name is Jesus. Do you consider Hispanics people of color? I'm not going to label you racist because he didn't get elected. Chuy or Lori Lightfoot might.

I can't stand him, and it has nothing to do with his race