WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Kansas Basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Re: WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:44 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:25 pm he has no emotion, he really appears to just....not care. it's incredibly frustrating.
Man, I haven't seen that at all. I think he's been very engaged and for the right reasons.

But I totally understand why some people don't like him.
hes very engaged and emotional, when he feels like it. there are long stretches of the game where he just like, drifts around and doesn't do much. When he doesn't get a rebound or throws rhe ball away during those stretches he just kinda blank stares and trots away. I'm not saying he doesn't care, it just appears on TV like he really doesn't give two shits about most of it.

Contrast that with KJ and Kevin.

To be clear, I'm not a hugely emotional person and can totally understand not displaying tons of emotion on your face and swinging arms and tossing your arms around etc, but, you can usually see it and read people even when they aren't showing it overly strongly.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i almost said as much in the game thread. there were stretches last night where he very much looked uninterested
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:21 am i almost said as much in the game thread. there were stretches last night where he very much looked uninterested
I think this team has trouble caring about these games against crappy opponents. At least it has appeared that way.

Which, I guess, is sort of to be expected from a vet team who probably is mostly focused on trying to win the national title. I don't think KM or DH are here this year to win a conference title.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:44 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:25 pm he has no emotion, he really appears to just....not care. it's incredibly frustrating.
Man, I haven't seen that at all. I think he's been very engaged and for the right reasons.

But I totally understand why some people don't like him.
I have no idea who's right and who's wrong, but I saw the same thing yesterday that I saw against UCF: Hunter directing traffic against the zone, and Juan ignoring him.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I tend to believe that the guy who opposing coaches say is like having Bill Self on the floor, whose been in this system for 4 years knows better where to be then the 7' Dollar sign Dickinson whose been here a few months and dissapears for long stretches to check his wire transfers.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:13 am I tend to believe that the guy who opposing coaches say is like having Bill Self on the floor, whose been in this system for 4 years knows better where to be then the 7' Dollar sign Dickinson whose been here a few months and dissapears for long stretches to check his wire transfers.
Ok. That's one way of looking at it.

Another, if we're just taking swings, is that Harris has a long history here of going brain-dead, and there are reasons he was barely recruitable at this level.

It makes sense to tend to believe a guy who's been in the system.

It also makes sense to tend to believe a guy who's been zoned against his whole life.

The answer is (of course) somewhere in the middle. But they're clearly not on the same page, and I don't know why anyone WOULDN'T zone us to death until that's fixed.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Interesting we all see different things. I have felt like the chemistry between the big 4 is extremely good this year.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:39 pm Speaking of next year....

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2TXQZJpscQ ... l6d2NhMGho
Does Flory bidunga still come if hunter comes back? Was he assuming he wouldn't be here
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:43 pm

Does Flory bidunga still come if hunter comes back? Was he assuming he wouldn't be here
Seems doubtful he'd come unless he has been assured by Self that we'll play them together (which seems unlikely). I'd take 2nd year HD over a 1 and done Bidunga who is very raw.

Then we'd have:

DH
Elmarko
Furphy
Kj
HD

That's a good lineup.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:14 am

Seems doubtful he'd come unless he has been assured by Self that we'll play them together (which seems unlikely). I'd take 2nd year HD over a 1 and done Bidunga who is very raw.

Then we'd have:

DH
Elmarko
Furphy
Kj
HD

That's a good lineup.

it's only a good line up if Elmarko or Furphy or both make a big leap

with nobody on the bench, again.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:28 am
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:14 am

Then we'd have:

DH
Elmarko
Furphy
Kj
HD

That's a good lineup.

it's only a good line up if Elmarko or Furphy or both make a big leap

with nobody on the bench, again.
Furphy will at least be good at offense.

Elmarko may or may not even be at KU, but hopefully he stays because he is good at defense and will improve offensively. I'm hoping he's a 4yr player that stays patient and develops.

Jamari McDowell looks like he could be an athletic defender off the bench at worst.

The bench will be new transfers and new freshman.

I think the days of having a deep bench are OVER. A team like 2008 (maybe not the best example, but you get the point) will never happen again. Nobody is patient enough to wait 2 or 3yrs to crack the rotation and the money available as star players at places they can play right away is too much to pass up.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i don’t know how some of you are already predicting that Elmarko is gonna transfer

other than losing his starting spot, what indication is there? is it just the NIL/portal environment? he’s getting more run than any of our recent transfers
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:44 am i don’t know how some of you are already predicting that Elmarko is gonna transfer

other than losing his starting spot, what indication is there? is it just the NIL/portal environment? he’s getting more run than any of our recent transfers
Just the environment.

I didn't expect most of the people who transferred last year to leave either. MJ Rice would be playing at least as much as Elmarko and Furphy this year and at best would have been locked in as starter #5. He's playing less than 10mpg at NC State. Same boat for Zuby. Backup 5, maybe some time at the 4 this year for us. Instead he is averaging like 11mpg at St Johns.

Elmarko has done NOTHING to make me think he's unhappy or unwilling to be patient at KU.....but he's shown enough that a different school might be like "hey, you'll start here and we will give you $500k NIL".
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:47 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:44 am i don’t know how some of you are already predicting that Elmarko is gonna transfer

Just the environment.

I didn't expect most of the people who transferred last year to leave either. MJ Rice would be playing at least as much as Elmarko and Furphy this year and at best would have been locked in as starter #5.

Elmarko has done NOTHING to make me think he's unhappy or unwilling to be patient at KU.....but he's shown enough that a different school might be like "hey, you'll start here and we will give you $500k NIL".
I would worry about this regardless of NIL; he is just giving really strong Grimes/Bryce vibes...which is exactly what happened with Rice also. Or, if you want to go further back in time, Downs.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

unless my memory is failing, he’s getting way more run than Rice ever did

has Rice even played this season?

i’m just not seeing it (yet)
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:58 am unless my memory is failing, he’s getting way more run than Rice ever did

has Rice even played this season?

i’m just not seeing it (yet)
Definitely way more run than Mj did as a freshman (21ish for Elmarko, 9ish for Mj). But not more than Mj would have gotten this year.

Mj has played 9 games for NC State this year. Must have been hurt for a while, but he's played their last handful of games in a row it looks like.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:52 am
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:47 am

Just the environment.

I didn't expect most of the people who transferred last year to leave either. MJ Rice would be playing at least as much as Elmarko and Furphy this year and at best would have been locked in as starter #5.

I would worry about this regardless of NIL; he is just giving really strong Grimes/Bryce vibes...which is exactly what happened with Rice also. Or, if you want to go further back in time, Downs.
If he wants to be a ball dominant lead guard then DH having another year left could be problematic for him. Maybe it's not/Hopefully it's not because I like him (just not his shooting).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Elmarko is gonna be good, I think very good, some people are just, not realistic.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:22 am Elmarko is gonna be good, I think very good, some people are just, not realistic.
Hopefully Elmarko isn't one of them. If he truly thinks he's an NBA guard then I hope he is realistic to see he is nowhere close yet and the best way to get there is at KU being developed by the KU staff.