COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
sdoyel

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by sdoyel »

For me it won’t matter. The large, dense counties like Dallas and Tarrant won’t lift the mandate.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it’s like they didn’t learn from their previous failure to listen to healthcare professionals
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I got my first vaccination with the Moderna Saturday at 3:00 p.m. My arm started hurting about 7:00 and I thought it was typical of any shot I've ever had. When I woke up Sunday morning I just didn't feel right; I felt sluggish and my whole body ached and I felt a little bit queasy but I decided to keep moving throughout the day. Upon awakening Monday morning, it felt like every joint in my body hurt, every muscle in my body hurt, and I couldn't focus on anything for more than 20 or 30 seconds at a time. I went to work for about an hour and a half and just couldn't stand it so I laid out the work schedule for my employees and went home. I lay down and took a nap late morning and late afternoon but couldn't shake the feeling so I took two ibuprofen and went to bed. I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and about 20 years younger. Rumor has it the vaccine is working.

If what I had was mini Covid, I would not wish this virus on anyone.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I don't understand lifting the mask mandate at this point. Not enough people are vaccinated.

I get wanting to reopen businesses, and from that perspective understand lifting those types of restrictions. If you're in a state that still doesn't allow nail salons or indoor dining, I get why you'd think it's necessary to lift those restrictions.

But, wearing a mask is precisely how you make lifting those types of restrictions possible without making things immediately worse.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I have several friends who have had covid in LA and most of them were not even aware they had it because it was so mild.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

cool story, bro.

defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I wonder how many they infected.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

defixione wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:15 pm I got my first vaccination with the Moderna Saturday at 3:00 p.m. My arm started hurting about 7:00 and I thought it was typical of any shot I've ever had. When I woke up Sunday morning I just didn't feel right; I felt sluggish and my whole body ached and I felt a little bit queasy but I decided to keep moving throughout the day. Upon awakening Monday morning, it felt like every joint in my body hurt, every muscle in my body hurt, and I couldn't focus on anything for more than 20 or 30 seconds at a time. I went to work for about an hour and a half and just couldn't stand it so I laid out the work schedule for my employees and went home. I lay down and took a nap late morning and late afternoon but couldn't shake the feeling so I took two ibuprofen and went to bed. I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and about 20 years younger. Rumor has it the vaccine is working.

If what I had was mini Covid, I would not wish this virus on anyone.
Glad to hear you're better. My mom got her second today, and so far, so good.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

defixione wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:24 pm I wonder how many they infected.
You can still infect people even if you've been vaccinated.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I'm glad you are aware of that.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Walrus wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:02 pm
Source?

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Where are you getting your information? What was the rate of transmission? What was the viral load? What was the level of viral shedding? To my knowledge this hasn't yet been published, do I'm curious about where you got your data?

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Best I could find was this from an interview with a microbiologist....you know, what I am...
In a recent preprint study which has yet to be peer reviewed, Israeli researchers tested 2,897 vaccinated people for signs of coronavirus infection. Most had no detectable virus, but people who were infected had one-quarter the amount of virus in their bodies as unvaccinated people tested at similar times post-infection.

Less coronavirus virus means less chance of spreading it, and if the amount of virus in your body is low enough, the probability of transmitting it may reach almost zero. However, researchers don’t yet know where that cutoff is for the coronavirus, and since the vaccines don’t provide 100 percent protection from infection, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that people continue to wear masks and social distance even after they’ve been vaccinated.
I don't think that means vaccinated people can definitively transmit the virus, and it almost certainly means that transmission would be significantly reduced at a minimum.

But again, I'd like to see the information you're using to make such a definitive statement.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I found this:

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/6-my ... s-debunked

But it says:
Vaccines have always decreased transmission. What they should be saying is that the clinical trials were not designed to test for asymptomatic infection, but there is every biological reason in the world to believe that they will reduce asymptomatic transmission.”

There is already evidence to support this, she says. First, when the vaccines were studied in macaque monkeys (during preclinical testing), they did eliminate asymptomatic infection — researchers swabbed the vaccinated macaques’ noses and found little or no virus. Second, the types of antibodies that are stimulated by most systemic vaccines (IgG and IgA) do tend to block viral infection in the nose (and no viral load in the nose most likely translates to no transmission). Finally, when monoclonal antibodies are given to COVID-19 patients, those antibodies reduce the viral load throughout the respiratory tract, including the nose.

The most convincing evidence, though, is just starting to emerge among real-world data. In Israel, where more than 90% of those age 60 and over have been vaccinated, “cases have plummeted in this population,” Gandhi notes. “Not just hospitalizations, which we expected, but cases [asymptomatic infection] as well.” Moreover, data from vaccinated health care workers recently published in the Lancet and preprint servers show reduced rates of asymptomatic infection and low viral loads in the nose when swabbing after vaccination.

I think that in a few months, we are going to be able to say with certainty that these vaccines not only protect you, they also protect those around you,” Ranney says.
But I'll continue to wait for your source of information.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's more than a little confusing that the media (particularly the more left-leaning media) seems to want to play the caution card on post-vaccination transmission. I get that they don't want people getting complacent, but at some point it tips over into scare-mongering (when isn't there BREAKING NEWS at the moment).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

One thing I was wondering this morning - for kids that have been going to school in person this year, will they be ahead of the curve in terms of reading body language and eyes?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

If so theyre gonna take a whole lotta kids money at the holdem table
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:13 am If so theyre gonna take a whole lotta kids money at the holdem table
Gotta learn math somehow.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:22 am
TDub wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:13 am If so theyre gonna take a whole lotta kids money at the holdem table
Gotta learn math somehow.
Well lets see. Johnny has 14 apples and betty has 12...

Fuckem both, I got a 16.5% chance of hitting this gutshot straight.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I'm happy for texas.