We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
japhy
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by japhy »

It's going to take awhile to get the stupid stain off Arizona.

https://apnews.com/article/politics-mex ... osition_08
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

If she said this (see tweet below) in front of me - I would say these exact words to her face... Fuck off you piece of shit.

How ironic would it be if someone who was in legal possession of a gun because of lax gun laws blew her fucking head off?

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Multiple choice quiz:

Rep-elect George Santos has lied early and often in his campaign. The Republicans will

a. Seat him and act like he’s just another fellow scoundrel, able colleagues to Jim Jordan, Darrell Issa et al
b. Tut-tut a little but act like nothing happened
c. Susan Collins will be disappointed
d. McCarthy will pretend like nothing happened until he gets Santos’ vote for Speaker and then dodge the press
e. Nominate him as a candidate for President, because he just cleared the Party’s prerequisites
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

b, c, and d
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

He's on the NY Democrats. They did not do their homework on this guy and now he will be seated.

A) They won't act like he's any kind of scoundral. Just another R vote.
B) No tut-tuting will be done by any R.
C) That's funny, but no.
D) Spot on
E) I don't think this guy gets elected to a second term.
Broham
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

This fucking moron (MTG) posts/tweets the entire video - thinking people will agree with her and it will draw sympathy for Santos?

https://news.yahoo.com/more-outrageous- ... 01815.html
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sho ... -rcna63493

DeSantis burns through Floridians taxpayer money to fund his culture war as if it is money donated to his Presidential campaign fund. He has lost the vast majority of these court cases but it doesn't seem to matter. Republicans rewarded him with a landslide victory, making a mockery of their claims about "concerns for wasteful spending". Add it to the list of hypocrisies.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Attack on Rachel rather than addressing the underlying facts in 5…..4……3……
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

zsn wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:35 am Attack on Rachel rather than addressing the underlying facts in 5…..4……3……
Who reports on the facts should be irrelevant of the facts but I agree that the lazy will argue it instead of the actual point. But since there really is no argument that DeSantis' legal cases are costing Florida taxpayers millions, they have to argue something. Same with his stunts in paying to ship immigrants from Texas to New England with Florida tax dollars despite that having zero to do with Florida.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Am I the only one who is enjoying the Republican civil war playing out in the Capitol?

If I was a Democratic Representative I’d make a deal with McCarthy and get him enough votes under the condition that Gym Jordan, Boebert and other crazies get nowhere near a Committee chair.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:33 pm Am I the only one who is enjoying the Republican civil war playing out in the Capitol?

If I was a Democratic Representative I’d make a deal with McCarthy and get him enough votes under the condition that Gym Jordan, Boebert and other crazies get nowhere near a Committee chair.
I think it's hilarious.

And I think you're fundamentally spot-on: at some point, the deft play for the Democrats is to broker a deal (which you should not do without extracting a heavy price, including as to severely limiting the Republicans' ability to conduct sham "investigations" etc.).
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Yeah, because if you can’t trust the modern GOP to keep a promise…who can you trust?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:48 pm Yeah, because if you can’t trust the modern GOP to keep a promise…who can you trust?
Well you definitely don’t do it on a promise.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“McCarthy finds himself in a crisis of his own making”

lulz
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

The Republican Party is not interested in governing or doing anything to help anyone. Their only goal is to grandstand and “own the libs”. BENGHAZI!!! every day, all day.

The Dems should not agree to an adjournment and continue this humiliation.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:08 pm The Republican Party is not interested in governing or doing anything to help anyone. Their only goal is to grandstand and “own the libs”. BENGHAZI!!! every day, all day.

The Dems should not agree to an adjournment and continue this humiliation.
If I understand all of this correctly (huge if), in the case the R crazies get what they want...the result will be that we'll be doing this again and again for the next two years.

Because that is the ticket the Rs need back to popularity. Bang-up work, team.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

This is absolutely entertaining and humiliating for those that firmly vote consistently R without any thought.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

What's that thing about a definition of insanity?
Broham
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:08 pm This is absolutely entertaining and humiliating for those that firmly vote consistently R without any thought.
Well yeah.

Because what's happening, now that we're seeing the R civil war in full bloom, is that the not-so-crazy Rs are finally learning, firsthand, what it's like to have to deal with a minority that is irrational, intransigent and simply fucking nuts.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Membership to the Freedom Caucus when it was formed required opposition to fellow Republican Party member and Speaker John Boehner and any legislation he proposed so it is no surprise that the group is once again accidentally working to tear apart the Republican Party.

On October 30, 2017, Vanity Fair published an interview with Republican former House speaker John Boehner, who said of the Freedom Caucus: "They can't tell you what they're for. They can tell you everything they're against. They're anarchists. They want total chaos. Tear it all down and start over. That's where their mindset is."

Seems that more than 5 years later, nothing has changed. People who stand for nothing and only complain about the stances of others add no value to our society.