Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 887

Re: Totally random thread

Post by Deleted User 887 »

Dilemma of the evening.
I went to a carry out restaurant. Blaze Pizza. Please don't judge. I placed my order. I paid for my food. My total cost came to $12 and some change. I gave the cashier a $20 bill and told her to put ALL the change ($7+) in the tip jar.
The cashier did NOT say thank you. I grabbed my food, proceed to walk out, and told the few workers - thank you and have a good evening. Not a single one responded.
I then had what I consider to be a teaching moment. I POLITELY expressed to them that when a customer gives them a generous tip and tells them thank you and have a nice evening - the right thing for them to do is respond with a thank you and maybe even a you too / you as well.
Not a single one responded to my "teaching moment".
So here is my dilemma. I'm debating if I should just let it go or if I should contact their corporate office and give them what I consider to be constructive criticism. I have no malice towards the employees and genuinely want to help ALL involved. I will go back to Blaze Pizza but I could see how other customers would not after having an experience like I had.
Advice is appreciated.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That’s nice of you to tip, but don’t let the lack of appreciation get to you.

Those workers have prob had miserable weekends knowing most of the rest of the country is hammered drunk shooting off fireworks right now. And they’re at work. You don’t know what kinda shit they’ve put up with today.

The nice tip is one of the best things that happened to them all night either way. That’s what’s important, and that’s what you afforded them regardless of whether they expressed it.

On behalf of the entire service industry, thank you gutter for so generously tipping the pizza workers! That’s big of you, and even if they didn’t realize it right away, they will. There’s lots of nights a pizza joint can be overwhelming to work at, but at the end of the night when you count the tip jar, you think, shit yeah!

Don’t ruin the Summer of George over $7 bucks.

Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I think that not getting the praise that you desperately needed is the real tragedy here.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:29 pm Dilemma of the evening.
I went to a carry out restaurant. Blaze Pizza. Please don't judge. I placed my order. I paid for my food. My total cost came to $12 and some change. I gave the cashier a $20 bill and told her to put ALL the change ($7+) in the tip jar.
The cashier did NOT say thank you. I grabbed my food, proceed to walk out, and told the few workers - thank you and have a good evening. Not a single one responded.
I then had what I consider to be a teaching moment. I POLITELY expressed to them that when a customer gives them a generous tip and tells them thank you and have a nice evening - the right thing for them to do is respond with a thank you and maybe even a you too / you as well.
So here is my dilemma. I'm debating if I should just let it go or if I should contact their corporate office and give them what I consider to be constructive criticism. I have no malice towards the employees and genuinely want to help ALL involved. I will go back to Blaze Pizza but I could see how other customers would not after having an experience like I had.
Advice is appreciated.
Take your meds
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Overlander wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:33 am I think that not getting the praise that you desperately needed is the real tragedy here.
What are the odds this story is completely made up?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 887

Overlander wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:33 am I think that not getting the praise that you desperately needed is the real tragedy here.
I wasn't looking for praise. I was looking for acknowledgment - as a paying customer.
"I think" as someone who had parents who owned a retail business that I worked at, I (and my parents) realized the importance of customer service. We took pride in the customer service we provided. It was noticed and appreciated by our customers. That's a major reason why they repeatedly used us as their florist.
Maybe Blaze doesn't give a damn that their employees had zero interest in providing decent customer service to me but these are the same people that are told by their manager/s to say hello and welcome to everyone that walks in the door. They didn't last night.
Deleted User 887

Cascadia wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:23 am
NotGutterGutter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:29 pm Dilemma of the evening.
Advice is appreciated.
Take your meds
I thank you for the advice but I think you should be more concerned about yourself than you are with me.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:58 pm
I wasn't looking for praise. I was looking for acknowledgment - as a paying customer.
Same thing.

You entered into a transaction, service was provided, transaction over.

I am sure when you gave them their lecture, they all took it to heart. Most folks love to be told they didn't quite meet your expectations...right?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Simple solution is dont tip them next time if you dont think they've met your expectations. Or even more simple, dont go back.

I dont think giving them a lecture will do anything but give them something to laugh about later.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Deleted User 887

Overlander wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:47 am
Same thing.

I am sure when you gave them their lecture, they all took it to heart. Most folks love to be told they didn't quite meet your expectations...right?
A) No, not the same thing. One can acknowledge another person without giving them praise.

B) Right, the transaction was over - AFTER I had tipped them, told them thank you and to have a good evening, AND I WALKED OUT THE DOOR. I feel the transaction/interaction was NOT over until I left the establishment. Did they "owe" me anything? No. Other than providing me with the food I paid for. Do I feel it would have been the proper thing for them to have said thank you - and perhaps even wish me a good evening too? Yes.

C) I don't consider my constructive criticism to have been a lecture but hey - I'll accept that you feel it was a lecture and they very well may have too. My guess is they didn't really give a flying fudge but as far as folks in a customer service industry being told they didn't meet expectations, let me ask you this. If someone told you at your place of employment that you didn't meet their expectations would you ignore them, tell them to go fuck themself, or would you give a damn and try and make things right because you take pride in yourself, your job, and the company you work for and represent?
Deleted User 887

pdub wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:16 pm Simple solution is dont tip them next time if you dont think they've met your expectations. Or even more simple, dont go back.

I dont think giving them a lecture will do anything but give them something to laugh about later.
Two wrongs don't make a right. I will still tip them but I will lower my expectations of receiving a thank you from them.
You are probably right that people making not much more than minimum wage at a Blaze Pizza probably don't really give a damn and they just may have laughed about it.
Here is one of my issues. I actually give them praise for working and making an honest buck and I have admiration for that.
Meanwhile, last night there were literally hundreds if not thousands of kids/young adults around their age who went around the Loop area acting like assholes. See link below.
As I said to my mother this evening, I am a crotchety old man because I abhor the lack of respect shown by so many of our "youth/s" in this city.

https://cwbchicago.com/2021/07/dozens-a ... -loop.html
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:39 pm

Same thing.

A) No, not the same thing. One can acknowledge another person without giving them praise.

B) Right, the transaction was over - AFTER I had tipped them, told them thank you and to have a good evening, AND I WALKED OUT THE DOOR. I feel the transaction/interaction was NOT over until I left the establishment. Did they "owe" me anything? No. Other than providing me with the food I paid for. Do I feel it would have been the proper thing for them to have said thank you - and perhaps even wish me a good evening too? Yes.

C) I don't consider my constructive criticism to have been a lecture but hey - I'll accept that you feel it was a lecture and they very well may have too. My guess is they didn't really give a flying fudge but as far as folks in a customer service industry being told they didn't meet expectations, let me ask you this. If someone told you at your place of employment that you didn't meet their expectations would you ignore them, tell them to go fuck themself, or would you give a damn and try and make things right because you take pride in yourself, your job, and the company you work for and represent?

It’s also likely that you’re a semi regular there and they all know you to be a psychotic creep show and don’t want to interact with you
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I would way more like to interact with NotGutterGutter than you. Mostly for the reasons you just laid out.
Broham
Deleted User 887

Cascadia wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:41 pm
NotGutterGutter wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:39 pm

Same thing.

It’s also likely that you’re a semi regular there and they all know you to be a psychotic creep show and don’t want to interact with you
If semi regular means about 3-4 times a year, then I am a semi regular.
I didn't recognize a single employee this past visit and my guess is none of them recognized me either.
You seemingly have a need to criticize me for having your often WRONG assumption/s of my mental well being. Care to be honest and share why? To me (and my guess is others on here) that comes off as being "psychotic".
Sure I (and probably some/many others on here) suffer from some "mental issues" but instead of having compassion and understanding, you choose to be a dick towards me and others.
That's how you choose to behave and represent yourself on here. I find it kind of sad if that makes you happy and gives you purpose but hey, so be it.
Getting back to me and my interactions, "psychotic creep show" or not, I would estimate that 90% of retail employees whom I have interacted with would say they willingly and even happily interacted with me - and would then say something positive about the interaction. I am generally kind, appreciative, and considerate.
As I am confident the last "retail" people I interacted with (at RL restaurant) would attest to.
Deleted User 887

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:07 am I would way more like to interact with NotGutterGutter than you. Mostly for the reasons you just laid out.
I have said before that my guess is Cascadia isn't a bad guy and he just likes to play the role of being a dick on here. At least I would like to think that's true. Of course I very well could be wrong.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you should write that pizza joint a crappy review on yelp.

you would be doing them a favor. the manager wants to know. my nephew owns a restaurant. he reads every review. they want to know how they are falling short. what they are doing wrong. how they can do better. they want to know.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The sad part about online reviews is, they’re so disproportionately crappy.