Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:41 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:21 pm My goodness, this is great.

r/WatchPeopleDieInside
"WatchPeopleDieInside" is right.

"Take Camera 2" was the first Tweet I saw when I picked up my phone this morning. My quote below from earlier in the evening was based on not nearly as good a shot, and this makes me even sadder for Dr. Birx, and us.

This is insane asylum stuff! This is the patient running the mental hospital. WTF is wrong with us? Our president is talking about injecting/ingesting "disinfectants", the only precedent for which is as a way to commit suicide! Seriously? WTF?

For 90 to 120 minutes Every Fucking Day, in "The Greatest Country In the World", this ignorant, malignant narcissist totally devoid of empathy or the self-awareness to see how absurd and ridiculous he looks, holds court. And yet, despite the habitual lying, the dispensing of medical "information", and making "recommendations" that have little to no basis in reality to tens of millions of us, it just keeps going on and on and on, with no end in sight before November.

This Is On Us Now!. What more do we need to see? Trump is completely unmoored by concepts like facts and reality, and couldn't be any less equipped intellectually, morally, or emotionally to lead us through a problem as potentially dire as a pandemic.

This isn't red vs. blue, democrat vs. republican. This is reality vs. relentless, manic, aggressive, incompetence. This man is a clear and present danger to us all. Where TF are the republican senators to put an end to this? How craven can they be? Where are republicans like Barry Goldwater and House Minority Leader John Rhodes, who in 1974 made the trip to the WH to tell Nixon he was doomed, that he had to resign? Why do we have a 25th Amendment, if not for a situation like this?

(Lysol just put out a statement this morning waring people against ingesting their products.)

You couldn't sell a storyline based on what we're witnessing to a program like VEEP, because nobody would believe it. We've transcended satire.

Imagine the dilemma, the discussions going on behind the scenes when Dr.s like Fauci, Birx, et. al., talk about the conflict they face between protecting the country, and maintaining a modicum of personal and professional integrity. Well, it's becoming too late. If something else isn't done, and it won't, Birx and Fauci at least have to refuse to attend the daily propaganda show from the White House, or resign.
Feral wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:03 pm Poor Dr. Birx. I'm alternately disappointed and feel sympathy for her, her position is impossible. Checkout the look on her face at the end of the second tweet, (feel free to ignore the first tweet), after Trump puts her on the spot. Now, she's probably reminiscing fondly about her professional reputation, pre-coronavirus...
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Today, leeches?
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Feral wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:32 am

r/WatchPeopleDieInside

"Take Camera 2" was the first Tweet I saw when I picked up my phone this morning. My quote below from earlier in the evening was based on not nearly as good a shot, and this makes me even sadder for Dr. Birx, and us.

This is insane asylum stuff! This is the patient running the mental hospital. WTF is wrong with us? Our president is talking about injecting/ingesting "disinfectants", the only precedent for which is as a way to commit suicide! Seriously? WTF?

For 90 to 120 minutes Every Fucking Day, in "The Greatest Country In the World", this ignorant, malignant narcissist totally devoid of empathy or the self-awareness to see how absurd and ridiculous he looks, holds court. And yet, despite the habitual lying, the dispensing of medical "information", and making "recommendations" that have little to no basis in reality to tens of millions of us, it just keeps going on and on and on, with no end in sight before November.

This Is On Us Now!. What more do we need to see? Trump is completely unmoored by concepts like facts and reality, and couldn't be any less equipped intellectually, morally, or emotionally to lead us through a problem as potentially dire as a pandemic.

This isn't red vs. blue, democrat vs. republican. This is reality vs. relentless, manic, aggressive, incompetence. This man is a clear and present danger to us all. Where TF are the republican senators to put an end to this? How craven can they be? Where are republicans like Barry Goldwater and House Minority Leader John Rhodes, who in 1974 made the trip to the WH to tell Nixon he was doomed, that he had to resign? Why do we have a 25th Amendment, if not for a situation like this?

(Lysol just put out a statement this morning waring people against ingesting their products.)

You couldn't sell a storyline based on what we're witnessing to a program like VEEP, because nobody would believe it. We've transcended satire.

Imagine the dilemma, the discussions going on behind the scenes when Dr.s like Fauci, Birx, et. al., talk about the conflict they face between protecting the country, and maintaining a modicum of personal and professional integrity. Well, it's becoming too late. If something else isn't done, and it won't, Birx and Fauci at least have to refuse to attend the daily propaganda show from the White House, or resign.
Feral wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:03 pm Poor Dr. Birx. I'm alternately disappointed and feel sympathy for her, her position is impossible. Checkout the look on her face at the end of the second tweet, (feel free to ignore the first tweet), after Trump puts her on the spot. Now, she's probably reminiscing fondly about her professional reputation, pre-coronavirus...
I'm feeling the need to point out that while Dr. Birx is certainly a respectable "expert", I cringed when she said, "Fever is a good thing, when you have a fever".

Being that the extent of my medical knowledge was playing Doctor with Nicki Spivack when I was 5 years old, maybe I should defer to Feral (being that she is a Doctor) and ask if she feels (and agrees with me) that fever is NOT always a "good thing" - especially when it is "dangerously" high.

Perhaps I am nitpicking but let's look at the big picture here. Birx is a powerful woman who people trust.
Jethro Buckley in Hickville Alabama was watching Birx and is running a 105 fever. He tells his wife - "See Luwayne, Doctor Birx says my fever is good, I ain't calling the doctor nor taking any pills to get rid of it - it's good".
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I think we can all agree that it's more important not to "...make the administration look unprepared", than to do what we can to be prepared.

FDA chief Stephen Hahn asked HHS in January if he could contact companies about possible shortages of PPE and other equipment. He was told no. Azar told associates such calls would alarm the industry and make the administration look unprepared.

Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:32 am

r/WatchPeopleDieInside

The fact that Birx and Fauci are confronting is that if they step aside (or behave in a way that gets them shoved aside), next in line is, like, Trump Medical School Honorary Salutatorian Dr. Jared Kushner, DO.

Birx and Fauci are quite literally saving lives by swallowing their pride and weathering the storm.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 am I think we can all agree that it's more important not to "...make the administration look unprepared", than to do what we can to be prepared.

FDA chief Stephen Hahn asked HHS in January if he could contact companies about possible shortages of PPE and other equipment. He was told no. Azar told associates such calls would alarm the industry and make the administration look unprepared.

It is clear that Azar has been put on the path to be the next to go.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:40 am
Feral wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 am I think we can all agree that it's more important not to "...make the administration look unprepared", than to do what we can to be prepared.

It is clear that Azar has been put on the path to be the next to go.
Yeah, but first, the bus that ran over this guy, has to have its frame straightened:

Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The bus has proved quite durable, really.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:14 am The bus has proved quite durable, really.
No kidding.

I get the impression that the 73 y/o child at the wheel has perfected the move, over his entire lifetime.
Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:20 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:14 am The bus has proved quite durable, really.
No kidding.

I get the impression that the 73 y/o child at the wheel has perfected the move, over his entire lifetime.
It is just galling that the low-rent, guile-less shit has worked.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Those states, counties, cities, villages that can, need to begin the process of thoughtfully and safely re-opening. We are adults. We can do it. It’s time to begin the process of thoughtful re-opening. We can do it thoughtfully, carefully, slowly, safely.

The time has come to begin the process.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Im not sure that’s a very adult way of thinking about it.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:41 am
No kidding.

It is.

And it is worth asking why it has.

And it is preemptively worth noting that "cuz stoopids!" is not an answer so much as a comforting rationalization.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:04 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:41 am

No kidding.

It is.

And it is worth asking why it has.

And it is preemptively worth noting that "cuz stoopids!" is not an answer so much as a comforting rationalization.
Overly reductive, but isn't the best one-line answer different iterations of: "Because wickedly smart people found a mark"?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Certainly, that's an enormous part of it.

The question of which wickedly smart people still remains.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of insight in the last few posts, but right now it all seems a little cryptic.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:19 am Certainly, that's an enormous part of it.

The question of which wickedly smart people still remains.
That's why I said "different iterations."

Domestically, I think (without substantive comment) that the GOP and their supporters saw a vacuous, amoral vehicle to advance their policies.

More broadly, I think that the most likely explanation for (gestures wildly) all this has to do with Trump and "his" properties being quite useful to some folks and their interests in the early and mid nineties.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:55 am Those states, counties, cities, villages that can, need to begin the process of thoughtfully and safely re-opening. We are adults. We can do it. It’s time to begin the process of thoughtful re-opening. We can do it thoughtfully, carefully, slowly, safely.

I'm all for SAFELY "re-opening" in some/many areas.
Every state, county, city, village, "can". The question no one can answer definitively is if they should.
Many but not all people are "adults" and I agree that "we" can do it but if there is one thing I have noticed about the generation that is currently 18 to 48 years of age, it's that they are the I don't give a fuck what anyone tells me I'll do as I please and fuck the rules and the laws generation. THAT is the issue.
People simply don't give a fuck and forgetting the repercussions that they may face, it's people who do give a fuck that also end up suffering.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:55 am Those states, counties, cities, villages that can, need to begin the process of thoughtfully and safely re-opening. We are adults. We can do it. It’s time to begin the process of thoughtful re-opening. We can do it thoughtfully, carefully, slowly, safely.

"Can" is sure doing a lot of heavy lifting here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Are we really ever gonna safely reopen without thorough and ubiquitous testing?