Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:50 pm Ridiculous. Experts said Ukraine wouldn't last a week. Putin has lost 250,000 dead and most of his armor. 315 aircraft. Wagner is defeated. Ukraine breaking into the backfield now. Never forget: a lot of these military "experts" are republican. Yeah. This is what Putin wanted. Sure. Goalpost moving.
And the U.S. has pretty much dominated every fight over our lifetime. But nation building is a no win thing. This particular fight is for national survival for Ukraine. Ukraine beating them it is just punishment for Russia's many transgressions. Russia is a nation that has screwed around and finally found out.
^^^

What a crock of shit.

How delusional do you have to be to accept and promote this?
Lobster wrote:..."Strategically, this war was lost by both sides before it started. It will end in stalemate, which I now think was Putin’s intent from the get-go," Myers said. "President Biden, NATO and (Ukrainian President Volodymyr) Zelenskyy have trapped themselves in a Catch-22 of their own making, unable to deliver on unrealistic expectations they created."
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What exactly is delusional about it, lobster?

Do you apparently have a better understanding of Putin’s intent, and did you remember to check under your bed for him before you went to sleep last night?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Putin is a cretinous evil fool with nukes. Party on.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes, agreed.

But the fact he has nukes but hasn’t dropped them yet, may or may not be evidence that his strategy is something besides simply bringing as much cretinous evil upon the world as possible.

I’m not exactly sure precisely what that strategy is, either.

That’s why I asked why we can be so sure, to the point of dismissing it as delusion and crock-of-shittery, that Putin’s strategy isn’t something along the lines of a stalemate.

And, feral, forgive my smartass tone.

But, I think both of these things can be true:

- Putin really is a big scary evil boogeyman
- our perception and understanding of Putin is overwhelmingly shaped by our being conditioned by decades of russophobic Cold War propaganda either way
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

You mean like this?

Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Putin controls one of the fiveish (?) most powerful militaries in the world (lumping non-US NATO in as a single bloc).

He has used that military to, among other things, twice in the last tens years invade Ukraine for the purpose of taking Ukraine's land/resources, and replacing its government with a puppet under his control.

What am I missing here?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

listening to a station based off the work of the Dances with Wolves soundtrack composer (John Barry), and up pops a random piece from the Hunt for Red October, entitled “Putin’s Demise”

just thought it interesting

carry on
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:14 pm Putin controls one of the fiveish (?) most powerful militaries in the world (lumping non-US NATO in as a single bloc).

He has used that military to, among other things, twice in the last tens years invade Ukraine for the purpose of taking Ukraine's land/resources, and replacing its government with a puppet under his control.

What am I missing here?
155 pages of “but the West”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:25 pm listening to a station based off the work of the Dances with Wolves soundtrack composer (John Barry), and up pops a random piece from the Hunt for Red October, entitled “Putin’s Demise”

carry on
Dances with Wolves soundtrack is incredible. Also, a reference to it is the best thing I've seen in this thread in months.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It is a sign.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:02 pm You mean like this?

Exactly!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:26 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:14 pm Putin controls one of the fiveish (?) most powerful militaries in the world (lumping non-US NATO in as a single bloc).

What am I missing here?
155 pages of “but the West”
Exactly!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:25 pm listening to a station based off the work of the Dances with Wolves soundtrack composer (John Barry), and up pops a random piece from the Hunt for Red October, entitled “Putin’s Demise”

carry on
decades of russophobic Cold War propaganda
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Putin is the closest thing to Stalin since the original. Throws enemies out the window. Poisons them. Disappears them. And has terrorized Africa, Syria, Chechnya, Georgia snd Ukraine. Tortured and killed many civilians. Children. He is who we were warned about.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:57 pm Yes, agreed.

But the fact he has nukes but hasn’t dropped them yet, may or may not be evidence that his strategy is something besides simply bringing as much cretinous evil upon the world as possible.

That’s why I asked why we can be so sure, to the point of dismissing it as delusion and crock-of-shittery, that Putin’s strategy isn’t something along the lines of a stalemate.

- our perception and understanding of Putin is overwhelmingly shaped by our being conditioned by decades of russophobic Cold War propaganda either way
IMO, it's naive to think that the ~ 40-mile long armored convoy of Russian ground forces including tanks that invaded Ukraine from Belarus in February of 2022, that advanced thru the northern suburbs of Kyiv to within 5.5 miles of the Ukrainian parliament, presidential office, and the city's center, was there to create "a stalemate". But if you want to make that argument, knock yourself out.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:30 pm Putin is the closest thing to Stalin since the original. Throws enemies out the window. Poisons them. Disappears them. And has terrorized Africa, Syria, Chechnya, Georgia snd Ukraine. Tortured and killed many civilians. Children. He is who we were warned about.
Ousie wrote: fake news
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:01 pm

IMO, it's naive to think that the ~ 40-mile long armored convoy of Russian ground forces including tanks that invaded Ukraine from Belarus in February of 2022, that advanced thru the northern suburbs of Kyiv to within 5.5 miles of the Ukrainian parliament, presidential office, and the city's center, was there to create "a stalemate". But if you want to make that argument, knock yourself out.
Do you think Putin might back off if nato offers some shit about Ukraine not joining?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:30 pm Putin is the closest thing to Stalin since the original. Throws enemies out the window. Poisons them. Disappears them. And has terrorized Africa, Syria, Chechnya, Georgia snd Ukraine. Tortured and killed many civilians. Children. He is who we were warned about.
https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2023 ... ica-allies
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:30 pm
Feral wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:01 pm

Do you think Putin might back off if nato offers some shit about Ukraine not joining?
"if you want to make that argument, knock yourself out"
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that's the thing!

they're really pushing the limits of that whole 1st amendment thing with this one.

so, without making that argument, let's instead just ask:

what would even possess USA Today and their US military expert interviewees to go on record with such shameless bad guy propaganda?