NBA Offseason

Kansas Basketball.
NDballer13

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by NDballer13 »

pdub wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:20 am So it’s Rondo, Danny Green, LeBron, AD and Cousins with Kuzma off the bench?

Health risk alarm but that’s a strong team.
I think you're more likely to see Kuzma starting over Cousins. I think this last year, especially this summer with no one wanting him, has been very humbling for Boogie and you don't get the same type of attitude he had in Sacramento and NO.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Maybe.
You saw flashes of what he used to be during the playoffs.
An achilles is a slow recovery -- he could be much better come next season.

He's 28 and a year removed from 25 and 13 at 53%.
Before his injury he was looking at a possible max deal.
It just depends on if he can find his form that he had with AD in NO -- otherwise, he'll be the go to guy in the 2nd unit.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

ND - I agree, when you have Scottie Pippen II you don't have him come off the bench.
James, Davis, Kuzma > than any other 3 you're going to throw at me.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Paul1 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:57 pm Marcus Morris would be a better signing than Boogie Cuz?
Anybody who is not a KU fan would rightfully tell you - No.
Wut?

There are several reasons that Marcus had a huge market and got 2/$20m and there was reportedly a very small market for Boogie and he's now playing for the veteran's minimum.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:02 pm Lakers should get Iguadala, Kyle Korver, Vince Carter and Jamal Crawford and JFish's collection of misfit toys will be complete.
...I strongly expect them to end up with at least one of those three. Death, taxes and GM Bron surrounding himself with washed buddies.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 am
pdub wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:20 am So it’s Rondo, Danny Green, LeBron, AD and Cousins with Kuzma off the bench?

I think you're more likely to see Kuzma starting over Cousins. I think this last year, especially this summer with no one wanting him, has been very humbling for Boogie and you don't get the same type of attitude he had in Sacramento and NO.
Knuckleheads rarely stop being knuckleheads.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Paul1 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:01 am Lakers have enough guys who can SCORE and if people feel they have no "shooters", I think LeBron, Green, and Cook can hit enough 3s for them to do just fine.
You can have five 40% 3pt shooters on the bench - if you're giving starter's minutes to a non-shooter (Rondo), you're going to have severe spacing problems.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 am

I think you're more likely to see Kuzma start over Green than Cousins, assuming Cousuns is healthy. Green can get his 25-27mpg as the first guard off the bench no problem.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:55 am
Paul1 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:57 pm Marcus Morris would be a better signing than Boogie Cuz?
Wut?

There are several reasons that Marcus had a huge market and got 2/$20m and there was reportedly a very small market for Boogie and he's now playing for the veteran's minimum.
Cousins isn't making the veteran's minimum but you helped make my point.
If Boogie can be had for the veteran's minimum (actually it's about 3.5) and Marcus Morris is costing you 10 million - why would you want Marcus Morris over DeMarcus Cousins when you can have Cousins for a 1/3 of the cost?
IF (and that's a huge if) Boogie is healthy and can stay healthy - he's a more valuable basketball player than Marcus Morris. As he has proven.
Hey - I'm just a guy sharing his opinion.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:53 am
Wut?

If Boogie can be had for the veteran's minimum (actually it's about 3.5) and Marcus Morris is costing you 10 million - why would you want Marcus Morris over DeMarcus Cousins when you can have Cousins for a 1/3 of the cost?
IF (and that's a huge if) Boogie is healthy and can stay healthy - he's a more valuable basketball player than Marcus Morris. As he has proven.
This. The Lakers need bodies at value so the Cousins signing was a better signing. No chance that Morris is 3 times as valuable to the Spurs while costing 3 times as much.

Heck, even in his crusty return to play last year, Cousins bested Morris in every major statistical category.

DMC: 25.7mpg, 16.3ppg, 8.2rpg, 3.6apg, 1.3spg, 1.5bpg

McM: 27.9mpg, 13.9ppg, 6.1rpg, 1.5apg, 0.6spg, 0.3bpg

Odds are more likely that Cousins performs closer to what his previous norms were prior to injury than that he is 1/3rd as valuable as Marcus Morris. Morris is a great glue/effort guy who makes the right play and seems like a great fit in San Antonio but I think the Lakers will get more value out of that Cousins signing than if they had signed Morris to the contract he got from the Spurs.

Just my opinion. Both players will be fun to watch on their new teams.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Paul1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:53 am
Wut?

My comment was first about fit, and the Lakers badly need a guy like Morris to complement James and Davis.

2nd, almost no one has ever returned to form after an achilles. Boogie will not be the same effectiveness and a huge health risk added on to Davis.

It's just another "big name" on an exception-level contract without any thought into team fit which is GM Bron's style.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:07 amOdds are more likely that Cousins performs closer to what his previous norms were prior to injury
Not at all. History suggests that is far from what is going to happen.

Just look at Boogie's playoff game log. Lakers need a guy that can play 25-30 and can hit a 3. It's not necessarily a terrible signing in a vacuum, but it cost them Morris, a guy they need.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Boogie even just slightly improves on the work that he showed this last season, then he'd be a better player than Marcus.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This was said about boogie and AD in NO the first time around, but they (and Lebron) will look like the all time GOAT front court, for like 15 games a year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 am This was said about boogie and AD in NO the first time around, but they (and Lebron) will look like the all time GOAT front court, for like 15 games a year.
Right.
This is the reason Boogie is so low cost - the threat of reinjury, not peak performance.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Given contracts, I'd take Boogie over Marcus.

I also think Boogie is the sort of high-variance pickup the Lakers need to make (and hit on) in order to be competitive.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yup.
If you somehow get a rejuvenated Boogie for a year, you win.
Odds are you won't - but for that contract, it's worth finding out.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:58 am Given contracts, I'd take Boogie over Marcus.

I also think Boogie is the sort of high-variance pickup the Lakers need to make (and hit on) in order to be competitive.
The ultimate goal was to get both. And they could have.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Avery Bradley joins the fold.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Liked him when he was on Boston.
Good on defense. OK 3 point shooter. But meh.