jfish26
Contributor

Re: Kids

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:26 am
jfish26 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:02 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:48 pm

lol, you're not wrong
Like most stereotypes, there’s some roots in truth here!

I can tell you though that the cost isn’t different, and is in many cases less, than other “club” travel sports. Baseball and hockey cost more. Gymnastics costs materially more. Even soccer is creeping way up there.

People are really good about handing gear down, which blunts the cost significantly.

It’s an entire industrial construct to itself.
Obviously your post primarily focuses on money/cost - and not race.

Meanwhile, I am somewhat ashamed to say my parents had no problem letting me play organized hockey as a kid. A sport in which if I am not mistaken, there was a grand total of one African American kid who was my age that played in our community.

Sorry folks, maybe I am putting too much in to racial diversity and maybe it's a lot easier said than done but if I had a kid I would probably prefer he/she participated in sports that are not dominated by/with wealthy white people. Then again, of course where I chose to live might have a strong bearing on that.
The two issues really go hand in hand. You tend to not see many minorities playing club travel sports other than soccer and basketball, because there’s such a stronger history with minority participation in those sports.

For what it’s worth, the two lacrosse programs we’re involved with have built-out, donation-funded, no questions asked resources to support kids who want to play lacrosse but can’t afford it. It’s getting people to take up those resources that has been the biggest challenge.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

being “somewhat ashamed” that you played hockey as a youth is weird. You are trying too hard to be woke and PC and whatever other BS you are trying to lay down.

at the time you were a kid having fun playing a great sport having fun making lifelong friendships.

hockey, soccer, baseball, lacrosse, football, basketball. youth sports are the best. Let the kids play and keep the adult BS out of it.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:18 am being “somewhat ashamed” that you played hockey as a youth is weird. You are trying too hard to be woke and PC and whatever other BS you are trying to lay down.

at the time you were a kid having fun playing a great sport having fun making lifelong friendships.

hockey, soccer, baseball, lacrosse, football, basketball. youth sports are the best. Let the kids play and keep the adult BS out of it.
We know you’re a white supremacist, you don’t have to keep proving it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Trying too hard.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Tool
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:17 am
jfish26 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:02 am

Like most stereotypes, there’s some roots in truth here!

I can tell you though that the cost isn’t different, and is in many cases less, than other “club” travel sports. Baseball and hockey cost more. Gymnastics costs materially more. Even soccer is creeping way up there.

People are really good about handing gear down, which blunts the cost significantly.

It’s an entire industrial construct to itself.

Meanwhile, I am somewhat ashamed to say my parents had no problem letting me play organized hockey as a kid. A sport in which if I am not mistaken, there was a grand total of one African American kid who was my age that played in our community.

Sorry folks, maybe I am putting too much in to racial diversity and maybe it's a lot easier said than done but if I had a kid I would probably prefer he/she participated in sports that are not dominated by/with wealthy white people. Then again, of course where I chose to live might have a strong bearing on that.
The two issues really go hand in hand. You tend to not see many minorities playing club travel sports other than soccer and basketball, because there’s such a stronger history with minority participation in those sports.

For what it’s worth, the two lacrosse programs we’re involved with have built-out, donation-funded, no questions asked resources to support kids who want to play lacrosse but can’t afford it. It’s getting people to take up those resources that has been the biggest challenge.
It's truly very admirable that the programs you (and your wife) and your son are involved in want to help "less fortunate" kids learn and play the sport.
I've never really understood why Lacrosse is not more popular for minorities. One of my assumptions is that the cost of a lacrosse stick, helmet, gloves, cleats, etc. are a factor.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:18 am being “somewhat ashamed” that you played hockey as a youth is weird. You are trying too hard to be woke and PC and whatever other BS you are trying to lay down.

I'm not as ashamed that I played the sport of hockey as I am that I grew up in an area where very few minorities existed - nor participated in the sport with me. As a kid I did NOTHING to encourage the "minority" kids I knew to play hockey. Yes, for that I am ashamed. If you want to find fault in that - so be it.

I would rather be accused (by anyone) of trying too hard to be "woke and pc" than be accused as an adult of not giving a damn about people who are less fortunate than I am.
Thankfully as an adult I have made amends and have made a point of "giving back". Perhaps originally partially out of guilt but now much more out of want.
For you to accuse me of laying down BS - is a completely wrong and unfair assumption and accusation.

Yes, as a kid I was having fun playing a great sport and making lifelong friendships. I have zero regrets about that. I do have regrets that I didn't grow up with a more diverse group of teammates and friends.
I'm being very open and honest in sharing that.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:43 pm

I'm not as ashamed that I played the sport of hockey as I am that I grew up in an area where very few minorities existed - nor participated in the sport with me. As a kid I did NOTHING to encourage the "minority" kids I knew to play hockey. Yes, for that I am ashamed. If you want to find fault in that - so be it.

I would rather be accused (by anyone) of trying too hard to be "woke and pc" than be accused as an adult of not giving a damn about people who are less fortunate than I am.
Thankfully as an adult I have made amends and have made a point of "giving back". Perhaps originally partially out of guilt but now much more out of want.
For you to accuse me of laying down BS - is a completely wrong and unfair assumption and accusation.

Yes, as a kid I was having fun playing a great sport and making lifelong friendships. I have zero regrets about that. I do have regrets that I didn't grow up with a more diverse group of teammates and friends.
Do you virtue signal in your sleep, too, or is it just when you’re awake?
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

JKLivin wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:14 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:43 pm

Do you virtue signal in your sleep, too, or is it just when you’re awake?
Just when I am awake and getting "attacked" by people on a message board - that I too often have false hope the people who share the joy of being Kansas Basketball fans can and will be respectful to one another - despite their differences of thoughts and opinions.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the bible beater accusing anyone of virtue signaling is high-larious
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:26 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:17 am

It's truly very admirable that the programs you (and your wife) and your son are involved in want to help "less fortunate" kids learn and play the sport.
I've never really understood why Lacrosse is not more popular for minorities. One of my assumptions is that the cost of a lacrosse stick, helmet, gloves, cleats, etc. are a factor.
Lots of reasons. Cost is certainly an issue but you see plenty of minority kids playing football. We see gradual growth in minority representation.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:01 am the bible beater accusing anyone of virtue signaling is high-larious
Vir·tue sig·nal·ing (noun) - the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

Swing and a miss by Trad.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Deleted User 863

JKLivin wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:40 am
He's having a rough season. May be an early pick for comeback poster of the year next season though!
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:01 am the bible beater accusing anyone of virtue signaling is high-larious
Vir·tue sig·nal·ing (noun) - the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

Actually that works as a pretty good definition of religion
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:36 am
He's having a rough season. May be an early pick for comeback poster of the year next season though!
He should create a sock and . . . Oh, wait. Never mind.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

youth sports are the best.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

rather than focus on 1 sport at a young age, they should try them all.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

hey, what’d ya know…the circle jerk trio
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

KUTradition wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:10 pm hey, what’d ya know…the circle jerk trio
You Q and cascadia?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you and mich need to up your pillow talk game…your narratives are conflicting