Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: Totally random thread

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Overlander wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:21 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:17 pm the only thing of redeeming value, imo, to come out of the bezos flight is that Mary Funk got to go
This
reading more about that amazing woman, i learned that john glenn was instrumental in PREVENTING her from going to space in her younger days

something to the effect of allowing women to be astronauts would disrupt our social order

apparently, Funk lasted more than 10 hours in a deprivation chamber, far outlasting any of her colleagues, man or woman
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Yeah, my wife idolizes her accomplishments.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:27 pm
Overlander wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:21 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:17 pm the only thing of redeeming value, imo, to come out of the bezos flight is that Mary Funk got to go
This
reading more about that amazing woman, i learned that john glenn was instrumental in PREVENTING her from going to space in her younger days

something to the effect of allowing women to be astronauts would disrupt our social order

apparently, Funk lasted more than 10 hours in a deprivation chamber, far outlasting any of her colleagues, man or woman
Im not convinced I could last 10 seconds in a deprivation chamber.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

99's Totally Random Thoughts for this week

I'm in KC taking care of my 91 year old Mom. My brother and his kid live in the house we grew up in, but they are taking a week off in San Antonio so the kid can compete in a thai quan doe tournament. Kid is 6'7", probably a handful.

Mom doesn't get around very well, has a chair lift to go up and down one set of stairs. She's been complaining of being wobbly all morning and caught herself from falling a couple times. Then she heads to the garage down narrow steps with a rickety handrail to do laundry. I told her that I would do and she didn't need to be going down those steps. She's really stubborn and said she was going to do it anyway. I get in front of her and say she isn't and she agrees to stand at the top and direct me. Of coarse, as soon as I start, she starts to come down the stairs. I go up and stop her and I'm more than a little pssed. Finally get it done and her upstairs to her room. Our first fight of since I got here on Saturday.

Unlike Mrs 99 who keeps the house super cold, Mom is always hot even though it's hot in the house. I'm working from here and sweeting all over my latptop.

Went to Corvino last night with a guy who is really good friends with Michael Corvino. Pretty good time and it's good to have your buddy be buddies with the chef/owner. It's a small plate joint where they say to order 2-3 plates per person and share. We ordered about 5, they brought out about 10.
We ate:
Seaweed doughnuts with creme fresh and trout roe. Super good and hot out of the fryer.
Crispy Pork Ribs with Thai salad and sesame seeds.
Cheeseburger -- yeah a freakin incredible cheeseburger we split.
House Fries
Maitake Mushrooms with smoked eggplant puree and pistachio
Chinese Broccoli with whipped tofu and chile crunch. I want chile crunch on everything.
An off menu pickled yellow squash and zucchini with chives and shallots
Gnocchi Bolognaise with brisket, bacon, red pepper and Parmesan milk. Allsome and surprisingly spicy. My buddy commented that they probably get complaints on the heat level.

Geebus, no wonder I came home and went straight to bed. I highly recommend this place
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yum!

Our mushroom talk yesterday made me hungry for mushrooms. Went to the store and the only ones they have are standard issue white mushrooms. Made a stir fry with chicken, mushrooms, onions, and this spicy Sichuan sauce. It was serviceable for an otherwise random Wednesday dinner
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'd never had maitake before. My buddy said he has tried about everything and said that he could pick the items and asked if there was anything that looked interesting to me. That was the thing I wanted to try. My buddy (who has a book published under the nom de plum Hunter S Fatback) said that was one of the few he hadn't tried, wasn't too keen on trying. We asked our server about it and she said it was one of her favorites and very popular. So we ordered it. It was one of the last dishes to come out and we were pretty full by the time we did get it. But it was the best dish of the night. You'd swear there was steak in it.

We talked to Michael (yeah, I'm on a first name basis with him) about it and he said it was a fairly new dish he came up with to pair with a big Syrah and it was a hit.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I never heard the term “nom de plum” but I like it.

Makes me wanna nom some plums.

My uncle randomly had a wild plum tree in his yard. The ripe fruit was only about the size of grapes, but they were so delish that I could write a whole book about it, using a pen name, of course.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's French, it means name of the pen. You know like a cool name for a handle that authors use.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, name of the pen instead of pen name cuz frenchies say everything backwards.

Don’t even get em started about the 15 Pen club.

Excuse me - club de 15 pen
Last edited by ousdahl on Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

they’d say we have it backwards

French is the older of the two languages, so...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah.

I grew up in a small town in Michigan that had been colonized by the French.

So the river through town wasn’t the raisin river, it was the river raisin.

And in case anyone was wondering, there ain’t no killer smallmouth bass fishing in that river, so don’t bother.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Excuse me -

Bass smallmouth?
Deleted User 89

woah, killer bass?

sounds like a bad B-grade horror film from the 70s/80s
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

No.

Bass killer.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

There’s not much French culture left any more. Now it’s mostly just Camaros.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

And keystone? And skynryd? When we goin?
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The only music there is Ted Nugent, and that journey song like, “born and raised in south detroiiiiiit!”

And lots of Molson and Lebatt blue since Canada is like a half hour away
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

One thing the area does have going for it is, it’s cheap.

You can go to a dive and get a burger and fries and 6 or 7 Lebatts and still spend less than one appetizer in CO.

The recession hit that part particularly hard. My parents bought their retirement home for like 45 bucks.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Ill drink labatt if i have to but ill skip the nugent and blast some Kid Rock if i gotta keep it in state
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ohh yeah.

Kid Rock is big there too for sure.

Eminem will come up too, but it seems in a self-depreciating way, when your cousin starts talking about how he too was addicted to the same pills as Slim Shady. Life imitates art imitates life.

And most doods still consider Pamela Anderson to be the hottest babe of all time.

In part cuz she dated Kid, but mostly just cuz she was the bimbo on Tool Time.

Woo rust belt culture!

Excuse me…culture rust belt.

err…culture belt rust.