Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
chiknbut

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by chiknbut »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:42 pm With so many states beginning to ease restrictions, why are folks still screaming about this? Just to scream?
Psych in a nut shell.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

zsn wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:40 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:05 pm I'm not unhappy with scientists, nor am I trying to hide from bad news. I am advocating - as I have been all along - that science and reality have a sit-down and come up with a workable solution. It makes much more sense to allow those who are healthy and/or who are asymptomatic to go about their lives, while those who are hit harder or who are at higher risk to be the ones locked down. If people are truly inevitably going to get sick, then we need a functioning economy and supply chain to care for them - assuming that the idiocy of the last two months hasn't already crippled that for good.
What you are saying is that people should have the right to make decisions about their own health based on their life situation**.

If YOU want to take off the parachute at 3000 ft when jumping from 12000 ft that is your preference. You have a right to be stupid, you have a right to die**. What right you don't have is landing on a group of 10 people having a picnic and killing or maiming them in the process. That is what you will be doing if you ignore warning "and go about [your] lives".

**Forced-birther Psych will say that that is somehow the government's business to regulate, so there is that, and another circle that needs to be squared, but that's just another hypocrisy
People who are worried about their health shouldn't be out having a picnic anyway. They should be inside with a mask on compulsively sanitizing their hands. While the rest of us go to work and pay taxes to support their right to be "safe".

Forced-birther? What does that mean?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:42 pm With so many states beginning to ease restrictions, why are folks still screaming about this? Just to scream?
Because many of us are smart enough to see that the numbers will magically go back up in a few months and the government will insist that we need to do this all over again. The only way that doesn't happen is if people don't let it.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:32 pm
Psych in a nut shell.
I scream, you play the martyr. What a great couple we make, PChikn.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:46 pm
Because many of us are smart enough to see that the numbers will magically go back up in a few months and the government will insist that we need to do this all over again. The only way that doesn't happen is if people don't let it.
There's no magic.

If the number of infected go up, it's because more people are infected. And that's almost an inevitability as we "re-open".
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:56 pm
There's no magic.

If the number of infected go up, it's because more people are infected. And that's almost an inevitability as we "re-open".
The whole numbers issue has been pretty "magical" from the get-go. It is serving a purpose, and that purpose is not the safety or well-being of the American people.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:00 pm

There's no magic.

The whole numbers issue has been pretty "magical" from the get-go. It is serving a purpose, and that purpose is not the safety or well-being of the American people.
I'm pretty sure it's the number of PCR tests that have a positive result. Not sure why you doubt it other than it's incovenient for you. What's your evidence that the numbers are not real?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

psych is dumb
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:11 pm Some businesses will not recover from this but our economy certainly will. People + Money = Economy and there are still plenty of people with money.

Our economy will NOT recover, not for long, long time. It never DID recover from the last crisis.

April saw the largest increase in jobless claims in history. BLS numbers tomorrow will probably show the highest unemployment since the Great Depression. The economy contracted 4.8% in the first quarter, the biggest drop since 2008, ALL of it coming in the last TWO WEEKS of the quarter. When the second quarter is over, we will probably see total contraction in the 12-15% range.

Oh. And the DJIA and S&P 500 just had their BEST month in 33 years.

There is no economy. The entire fucking economy has been financialized over 11-plus years of practically free money that was used to siphon company value away from productive ends and redistribute it to management and large shareholders.

It's fucking done.

And the remedies will make it worse.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:44 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:05 pm I'm not unhappy with scientists, nor am I trying to hide from bad news. I am advocating - as I have been all along - that science and reality have a sit-down and come up with a workable solution. It makes much more sense to allow those who are healthy and/or who are asymptomatic to go about their lives, while those who are hit harder or who are at higher risk to be the ones locked down. If people are truly inevitably going to get sick, then we need a functioning economy and supply chain to care for them - assuming that the idiocy of the last two months hasn't already crippled that for good.
What you are saying is that people should have the right to make decisions about their own health based on their life situation**.

If YOU want to take off the parachute at 3000 ft when jumping from 12000 ft that is your preference. You have a right to be stupid, you have a right to die**. What right you don't have is landing on a group of 10 people having a picnic and killing or maiming them in the process. That is what you will be doing if you ignore warning "and go about [your] lives".

**Forced-birther Psych will say that that is somehow the government's business to regulate, so there is that, and another circle that needs to be squared, but that's just another hypocrisy
People who are worried about their health shouldn't be out having a picnic anyway. They should be inside with a mask on compulsively sanitizing their hands. While the rest of us go to work and pay taxes to support their right to be "safe".

People worried about their health can and probably should still have picnics. Hypothetical or real.
With the choice to choose to "physical distance" - or not.

On a semi-related side note -
When you go back to work (and pay taxes), I'm wondering what your school's protocol will be once school resumes and students are back in classes. Do you think they will "test" students? I assume they will not. I am assuming the school will tell students if they feel ill, to not come to school.
Are YOU comfortable being the one who may have to decide if YOU feel a student is ill - and to DEMAND (not suggest) they leave the classroom?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:14 pm

People worried about their health can and probably should still have picnics. Hypothetical or real.

When you go back to work (and pay taxes), I'm wondering what your school's protocol will be once school resumes and students are back in classes. Do you think they will "test" students? I assume they will not. I am assuming the school will tell students if they feel ill, to not come to school.
Are YOU comfortable being the one who may have to decide if YOU feel a student is ill - and to DEMAND (not suggest) they leave the classroom?
I am still working all three of my jobs, all with social distancing modifications, but there is no guarantee that my school will survive to reconvene in the Fall semester, especially if the NAIA cancels sports seasons. I do think there is a difference between asking people who are symptomatic to stay home and assuming that everyone is ill and cancelling life. One is reasonable, the other is a thinly-veiled social engineering project that will transform this country into a Third World shithole if allowed to persist.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:01 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:00 pm
There's no magic.

I'm pretty sure it's the number of PCR tests that have a positive result. Not sure why you doubt it other than it's incovenient for you. What's your evidence that the numbers are not real?
The positive tests are not the issue. It is the game-playing with the deaths attributed to COVID-19 and the staged overflowing ER's designed to scare people into submission. There are abundant reports online that point to these facts, and the fact that they keep getting pulled down points to their veracity and the peril they exact on the intended narrative. None of them are CNN or MSNBC, so I wouldn't waste time pointing you to any of them.

There is no doubt that it kills the elderly, the morbidly obese, and those with compromised immune systems. Since I am none of these, I should not be prevented from living my life. Our focus should be on locking down those groups until a vaccine is developed rather than what is currently being done.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfc
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Doesn't care if he's a carrier and you get sick. He can get a haircut.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:23 pm

I am still working all three of my jobs, all with social distancing modifications, but there is no guarantee that my school will survive to reconvene in the Fall semester, especially if the NAIA cancels sports seasons. I do think there is a difference between asking people who are symptomatic to stay home and assuming that everyone is ill and cancelling life. One is reasonable, the other is a thinly-veiled social engineering project that will transform this country into a Third World shithole if allowed to persist.
Thanks for taking the time to respond and I'm sorry to hear your school may not "survive".
I'm interested in what other people are going through in terms of "returning to work".
I'm slightly involved in some aspects of my company "re-opening" and we really don't have definitive directives so we're kind of at a loss in some regards. I'm very anxious to get back to work.
Meanwhile, I was told today that we have an employee who posted on social media that as soon as the bars re-open, she's there. Ok. Well, this same person answered a company survey question of - If you are asked to return back to work on June 1st - would you be comfortable doing as such?
She responded - no.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:25 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:23 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond and I'm sorry to hear your school may not "survive".
I'm interested in what other people are going through in terms of "returning to work".
I'm slightly involved in some aspects of my company "re-opening" and we really don't have definitive directives so we're kind of at a loss in some regards. I'm very anxious to get back to work.
Meanwhile, I was told today that we have an employee who posted on social media that as soon as the bars re-open, she's there. Ok. Well, this same person answered a company survey question of - If you are asked to return back to work on June 1st - would you be comfortable doing as such?
She responded - no.
I like what states like Iowa are doing. If your employer offers your job back and you don’t take it back, you lose your unemployment benefits.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

The asshole theory of governing.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Geezer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:30 pm The asshole theory of governing.
I would argue that being able-bodied and having work available, yet choosing to let the government take care of you while you sit at home and binge Netflix is the very definition of asshole.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The myth is that numbers will rise again. Because they haven’t stopped rising in most red states. DC is right about the economy too. About tired of hedge fund billionaires gaming our lives.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:33 pm
Geezer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:30 pm The asshole theory of governing.
I would argue that being able-bodied and having work available, yet choosing to let the government take care of you while you sit at home and binge Netflix is the very definition of asshole.
You would