Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
HouseDivided

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by HouseDivided »

Sparko wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:41 pm The myth is that numbers will rise again. Because they haven’t stopped rising in most red states. DC is right about the economy too. About tired of hedge fund billionaires gaming our lives.
That is somewhat misleading, too. In Kansas, for instance, those rising numbers are primarily in prisons and in nursing homes. One is a very contained environment, the other is containable very easily.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Geezer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:33 pm
Geezer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:30 pm The asshole theory of governing.
I would argue that being able-bodied and having work available, yet choosing to let the government take care of you while you sit at home and binge Netflix is the very definition of asshole.
You would
And you wouldn’t. No surprise there.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Without schools and daycares its not possible for some people to return to work.

I'm thankful we can get by (barely) on my salary while my wife is furloughed.

...but even if they tried to bring her back, we'd have to say no because without schools we'd have to depend on our parents for childcare 5 days a week and that's just not something we're comfortable with asking (both due to the commitment and the risk of inadvertently exposing our older parents who are all 65+).

So for now we're just enjoying the extra time with the kids trying to "homeschool".
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:17 am Faster, please.

https://abc7.com/coronavirus-vaccine-pf ... a/6159762/
...Fauci has cautioned that even if everything goes perfectly, 12 to 18 months to develop a vaccine would set a speed record...

Rapidity is one of the last words anyone would use to describe the development of vaccines in the past. For context, the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, HIV, was identified in 1984, and we still don't have a vaccine 35 years later. But, there's never been an effort anywhere near this scale, and the knowledge and technology informing the process have never been so broad. So, we have to be optimistic.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it was 5-6 years before there was even a treatment for AIDS
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

News about antibodies.

Researchers at Mount Sinai tested people who signed up to be donors of convalescent plasma, antibodies extracted from blood. The project has enrolled more than 15,000 people so far, according to Dr. Ania Wajnberg, who is leading the effort.

The new study is an analysis of results of the first set of donors. Over all, only 3 percent of these participants had been seen in the emergency department or had been hospitalized. The remaining subjects had only mild or moderate symptoms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/heal ... e=Homepage
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Legal question.
I looked out my window and noticed a Chicago Police car apparently pulled over a red van.
I zoomed in with my camera and can see that the cop is NOT wearing a mask and was standing basically right next to the driver's window talking to her.
If I am the person in the vehicle can I tell the cop to back the fuck up - or maybe I should rephrase that. Can I tell him I'm uncomfortable and to please back up? I assume I have that right. Now if he doesn't back up - what would be the repercussions of my saying I don't feel safe and I am going to drive away - and do it?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It's important to note that vaccines are hard and often don't work for a variety of reasons. But I am a lot more optimistic about a successful vaccine for a coronavirus than I am for HIV.

1. HIV has a higher mutation rate.

2. Vaccines work by speeding up the immune response. People never recover from HIV, so speeding up the immune system doesn't work. Most people DO recover from covid and antibodies do appear to be effective.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:12 pm Without schools and daycares its not possible for some people to return to work.

...but even if they tried to bring her back, we'd have to say no because without schools we'd have to depend on our parents for childcare 5 days a week and that's just not something we're comfortable with asking (both due to the commitment and the risk of inadvertently exposing our older parents who are all 65+).

So for now we're just enjoying the extra time with the kids trying to "homeschool".
From a logistical standpoint, my house is in a tough spot.

They canceled the rest of the school year, so there goes older-kid coverage for April/May. They pushed summer school back to July, so there goes coverage for June.

My mom lives down the street, but she's 75 and smoked for 30 years, so we're trying to keep her on the bench. But without her help (meaning at least one parent has to stay home), there's no point in paying for daycare for the baby.

These are mild problems to have, in the grand scheme of things. But, man are we getting sick of each other.

We're actually thinking about letting my mom come back for May/June, while the kids aren't really seeing other kids outside the neighborhood, and we're still working from home, and then sending my mom back home once the kids go to summer school.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:47 pm
Sparko wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:41 pm The myth is that numbers will rise again. Because they haven’t stopped rising in most red states. DC is right about the economy too. About tired of hedge fund billionaires gaming our lives.
That is somewhat misleading, too. In Kansas, for instance, those rising numbers are primarily in prisons and in nursing homes. One is a very contained environment, the other is containable very easily.
Let me see if I can get this straight:

1. Those mostly wheelchair bound patients in nursing homes went somewhere that they had outside contact with folks who had the virus. Or their families flew back in from Italy or England and brought it to them. OR, the virus is there in the community and those who work at nursing homes just are in the place to get tested.

2. Same with prisoners--their families came to visit them in those small red states, having flown in from London, Wuhan, Paris, or even NYC. OR, their staff has the virus from the outside community and because they work in prisons, have the ability to access tests that others in small, red communities don't.

3. Or maybe the virus spontaneously occurs in nursing homes or prisons in small red states--seems like that wouldn't be easily containable.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:51 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:12 pm Without schools and daycares its not possible for some people to return to work.

From a logistical standpoint, my house is in a tough spot.

They canceled the rest of the school year, so there goes older-kid coverage for April/May. They pushed summer school back to July, so there goes coverage for June.

My mom lives down the street, but she's 75 and smoked for 30 years, so we're trying to keep her on the bench. But without her help (meaning at least one parent has to stay home), there's no point in paying for daycare for the baby.

These are mild problems to have, in the grand scheme of things. But, man are we getting sick of each other.

We're actually thinking about letting my mom come back for May/June, while the kids aren't really seeing other kids outside the neighborhood, and we're still working from home, and then sending my mom back home once the kids go to summer school.
Same sort of spot for us. My mom (over 65) is our main day care for the 3year old during regular times when 6yr old is in school...in normal times my wife works 4-5 days a week, but 1-2 of those days she doesn't start appointments until 4ish when I can be home with both kids...so essentially 3 days during the week where the young 1 is with my mom....summers my mom would have both on those days where my wife works....and since my mom and dad are who we are trying to protect the most, we don't really want the little germ spreaders over there constantly exposing them.

Right now, while wife isn't working and kids aren't seeing anyone, we're letting my parents see them, but everything outside and trying to tell the kids not to hug and kiss on my parents....but once my wife is back to having appointments with people she's increasing her exposure exponentially, and therefore would also be increasing my parents (and hers) exposure if they're watching the kids.

Tough spots indeed. And 1 mistake can cost one of our parents their life, which is scary.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

12-18 more months isn’t fast enough? There’s just no pleasing people like you, is there? Luddite.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

seahawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:16 am
HouseDivided wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:47 pm
Let me see if I can get this straight:

1. Those mostly wheelchair bound patients in nursing homes went somewhere that they had outside contact with folks who had the virus. Or their families flew back in from Italy or England and brought it to them. OR, the virus is there in the community and those who work at nursing homes just are in the place to get tested.

2. Same with prisoners--their families came to visit them in those small red states, having flown in from London, Wuhan, Paris, or even NYC. OR, their staff has the virus from the outside community and because they work in prisons, have the ability to access tests that others in small, red communities don't.

3. Or maybe the virus spontaneously occurs in nursing homes or prisons in small red states--seems like that wouldn't be easily containable.
There you go again sea, introducing logic and reason into a right-wing talking point! You can’t leave well-enough alone, can you!! :)
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:14 am

12-18 more months isn’t fast enough? There’s just no pleasing people like you, is there? Luddite.
The normal timeframe is 10-15 years, so again, I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

The fact that they're going the more expensive, and riskier option of doing things in parallel instead of sequentially flies in the face of your theory that this is a massive conspiracy to ruin economies globally.

It's like they just announced the first coast to coast commercial flights and you're mad it's still gonna take 6 hours.

If a safe and effective vaccine is ready in the first half of next year, that might be one of the biggest achievements in the history of science.

HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 am

The normal timeframe is 10-15 years, so again, I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

The fact that they're going the more expensive, and riskier option of doing things in parallel instead of sequentially flies in the face of your theory that this is a massive conspiracy to ruin economies globally.

It's like they just announced the first coast to coast commercial flights and you're mad it's still gonna take 6 hours.

If a safe and effective vaccine is ready in the first half of next year, that might be one of the biggest achievements in the history of science.
Mostly I'm complaining about the stupidity of sticking to one option - namely waiting and hiding until a (maybe) workable vaccine is developed - instead of being innovative and creating workarounds as well as being realistic that not everyone is going to survive this thing. We have to get the economic engine cranking again NOW. The only people who don't seem to get this are those working for the government, those who are uber wealthy, and those who are content to live off of whatever crumbs the government tosses their way. The rest of us a a bit concerned.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

psych gets his wish on re-opening too early, more people keep dying, and he still is the biggest victimized whiner.

That 2-week rural Kansas stay at home order really took a toll on him.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:31 am
PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 am

Mostly I'm complaining about the stupidity of sticking to one option - namely waiting and hiding until a (maybe) workable vaccine is developed - instead of being innovative and creating workarounds as well as being realistic that not everyone is going to survive this thing. We have to get the economic engine cranking again NOW. The only people who don't seem to get this are those working for the government, those who are uber wealthy, and those who are content to live off of whatever crumbs the government tosses their way. The rest of us a a bit concerned.
The best solution for every single aspect of this, and really the only one that gets us back to "normal" is a vaccine. Nothing else does that, even reaching herd immunity doesn't do what an effective vaccine does.

It might be silly to put all our eggs in one basket, but I'm in favor of putting a shitload of resources into development and widely distrubuting a safe and effective vaccine.

Work arounds and office innovation are tiny incremental improvements that benefit a very small number of people.

If the handful of vaccines in trial right now don't work, I'll be very very concerned. For now, I think the best strategy is the slow re-opening, continuing social distancing, finding the work arounds where we can, and hoping like hell that a vaccine works.

Any other solution is like a firecracker compared to the vaccine's being a bomb.

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Vaccines are not even half of the equation. One surefire way to stop these kinds of viruses is to stop the practice of what caused this pandemic in the first place. Much the same way we didn't say "well, open sewers and free-roaming rats are our way of life" following the plague we should rethink how and if to house and process animals for food. Just not eating bats is insufficient, as we found out with H1N1. After this SARS-CoV-2 being a more virulent incarnation of the earlier version does anyone believe that we won't have HxNx, a more virulent version of H1N1?