Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by jfish26 »

I don't know - I don't think we should expend less-than-"a shitload of resources" toward therapeutics. Think of these things as capital investments, not unlike the Apollo program. We will derive tangible, lasting, pertinent benefit from figuring shit out about antivirals that we don't know now.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:42 pm I don't know - I don't think we should expend less-than-"a shitload of resources" toward therapeutics. Think of these things as capital investments, not unlike the Apollo program. We will derive tangible, lasting, pertinent benefit from figuring shit out about antivirals that we don't know now.
I'd say therapeutics are the next best thing to a vaccine.

Things that won't make a huge impact are finding creative ways for a restaurant to be safely at 35% capacity instead of 25%.

My point was, I don't understand poo-pooing the vaccine or how long it takes with the reason being 'we gotta get more people at work'. That's like jumping over a hundred dollar bill to grab a quarter.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:46 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:42 pm I don't know - I don't think we should expend less-than-"a shitload of resources" toward therapeutics. Think of these things as capital investments, not unlike the Apollo program. We will derive tangible, lasting, pertinent benefit from figuring shit out about antivirals that we don't know now.
I'd say therapeutics are the next best thing to a vaccine.

Things that won't make a huge impact are finding creative ways for a restaurant to be safely at 35% capacity instead of 25%.

My point was, I don't understand poo-pooing the vaccine or how long it takes with the reason being 'we gotta get more people at work'. That's like jumping over a hundred dollar bill to grab a quarter.
Right, gotcha. I think what the Gates Foundation is doing is about the most you can do - run trials in tandem rather than in order, even though it is highly inefficient.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Yes, doing things in parallel will be wasteful for a vaccine that doesn't work, but the benefit for a vaccine that works will, by a long-shot, outweigh the cost. (In this case) It's a pretty smart gamble.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:12 pm Yes, doing things in parallel will be wasteful for a vaccine that doesn't work, but the benefit for a vaccine that works will, by a long-shot, outweigh the cost. (In this case) It's a pretty smart gamble.
Smart, and probably necessary to avoid a true depression.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:12 pm Yes, doing things in parallel will be wasteful for a vaccine that doesn't work, but the benefit for a vaccine that works will, by a long-shot, outweigh the cost. (In this case) It's a pretty smart gamble.
Maybe this is a good opportunity for us to emphasize basic science education. Comparisons to the Apollo program are apt - much the same way many went into the physical sciences/engineering in the 60s a true resurgence of folks entering chemical/life sciences would be welcome and necessary to kick this virus.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

zsn wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:41 pm Vaccines are not even half of the equation. One surefire way to stop these kinds of viruses is to stop the practice of what caused this pandemic in the first place. Much the same way we didn't say "well, open sewers and free-roaming rats are our way of life" following the plague we should rethink how and if to house and process animals for food. Just not eating bats is insufficient, as we found out with H1N1. After this SARS-CoV-2 being a more virulent incarnation of the earlier version does anyone believe that we won't have HxNx, a more virulent version of H1N1?
i’ll be shocked if we don’t have another outbreak of a similar pathogen
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:44 pm
Maybe this is a good opportunity for us to emphasize basic science education. Comparisons to the Apollo program are apt - much the same way many went into the physical sciences/engineering in the 60s a true resurgence of folks entering chemical/life sciences would be welcome and necessary to kick this virus.
And pay dividends for generations.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:56 pm
And pay dividends for generations.
I'm all for "basic science education," but the real world tends to get in the way of noble intentions.

And Apollo was staffed by Nazis.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

A distant cousin of my husband, who was an engineer and in the oil business for awhile and then taught in high school at the end of his career talked about the lack of interest by American kids in the sciences and I've thought of the same thing, zsn, remembering the Sputnik area and how kids were encouraged toward careers in the physical sciences, partly because of the excitement around all the space programs.
Don't inject Lysol.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:03 pm
I'm all for "basic science education," but the real world tends to get in the way of noble intentions.

I seriously doubt that anyone who went into science and engineering in the 60s and 70s, upon being inspired by the Apollo program, were Nazis......unless you know some of them personally, and/or have spotted them attending MAGA rallies ("very fine people!").

FWIW, the VW Beetle was a Nazi creation, designed by Ferdinand Porsche!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

zsn wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:41 pm Vaccines are not even half of the equation. One surefire way to stop these kinds of viruses is to stop the practice of what caused this pandemic in the first place. Much the same way we didn't say "well, open sewers and free-roaming rats are our way of life" following the plague we should rethink how and if to house and process animals for food. Just not eating bats is insufficient, as we found out with H1N1. After this SARS-CoV-2 being a more virulent incarnation of the earlier version does anyone believe that we won't have HxNx, a more virulent version of H1N1?
https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2 ... udy-claims

Meats good for your mental health. Take that vegetarians.
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:10 pm

I seriously doubt that anyone who went into science and engineering in the 60s and 70s, upon being inspired by the Apollo program, were Nazis......unless you know some of them personally, and/or have spotted them attending MAGA rallies ("very fine people!").

Yeah, I get it. Orangeman Bad.

O'course it was a Democrat -- Truman -- who authorized the covert relocation of nearly 1200 Nazi scientists to the United States to work on rocket/missile programs. Von Braun and Rudolph were probably disappointed that they couldn't pick out their workers from a camp, like at Mittelbau-Dora, but they nevertheless made due.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:33 pm

O'course it was a Democrat -- Truman -- who authorized the covert relocation of nearly 1200 Nazi scientists to the United States to work on rocket/missile programs. Von Braun and Rudolph were probably disappointed that they couldn't pick out their workers from a camp, like at Mittelbau-Dora, but they nevertheless made due.
never-mind
Last edited by Deleted User 289 on Fri May 08, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Again, to reiterate, I seriously doubt that anyone who went into science and engineering in the 60s and 70s, upon being inspired by the Apollo program, were Nazis**. Many were likely not even born prior to the end of WWII - a high-school student in 1960 who elected to study math and physics was likely born in 1945 or later.

**Unless they became one later........
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:33 pm

Operation Paperclip, no?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

DC what would you have done? Let them all go to Moscow?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

um...

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Hmmm What?
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TDub wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:29 pm https://www.europeanscientist.com/en/bi ... etic-code/

Appears to be untrue. Thankfully
Just Ledoux it