Royals

Other Sports.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Royals

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Good win today. Singer impressive with 7 Ks in 5 innings. Few hits and runs. Holland throwing back 5 years for the save.

I kind of like the extra innings rule.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Exciting game. Barlow scaring the crap out me.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Cool article on Singer and his pitches today. He was amped up and also nervous as he went with his slider too often. Change up was almost nonexistent according to the article. Once he gets more comfortable, he’ll bust all 3 out pretty well. But that slider is pretty nasty.

http://www.pitcherlist.com/gif-breakdow ... mlb-debut/
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:09 pm Good win today. Singer impressive with 7 Ks in 5 innings. Few hits and runs. Holland throwing back 5 years for the save.

I kind of like the extra innings rule.
Of course you do - yesterday and this morning if you're a Royals fan.

I'm not a fan of the gimmick "rule".

Gee, why not just have guys start out with a 3-2 count in extra innings?
Maybe bases loaded and 2 outs?
Or just have games end in a tie?

Jayson Stark
@jaysonst
The strangest but truest extra inning of the year:

The #Royals managed to score a run in the 10th today - despite zero official at-bats!

Ghost runner on 2nd.
Sac bunt
Sac fly.
Walk.
Runner thrown out stealing.

Baseball! (In 2020!)
8:04 PM · Jul 25, 2020
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The rule flies in the face of all the statistics compiled in MLB up to last night. For the first time, a pitcher is hamstrung by something he didn't do and the W/L is not hanging in the balance on the back of a pitcher, but some dubious super-category of team stats. Might as well award the visiting team the win if it is tied after 9 or 10 innings, The home team has a demonstrable advantage in knowing the game situation as it comes to the plate. The other silly part of this, in 2020, is here we are in late July openers and the worry is about too much baseball with 30-man squads? The 30-person squad to me always made sense all year. If you play 162 games in six months, extra players are helpful. Probably best to extend a few careers versus having only youngsters on the bench, but it would be good to see a few older hands helping out.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

It’s a dumb rule.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Harvey signed with Royals, looks to be a minor league deal. This is going to be such a weird season. So many young and old arms. I'm good with this flyer. Harvey young enough I think he can try to prove something with 8 quality starts this season, and get a good deal next year.
Deleted User 318

Whit-Dong. Cleveland might be good, and Detroit is really bad. Not sure how Royals are yet, but they might sweep Detroit in a four-game series.
Deleted User 318

*Jinxed myself, wasn't expecting Zuber to give up meatballs and free bases*
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The path to an interesting last week of the season narrows considerably with every loss to a bad team.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

You saying this as a fan of the Royals, or as every fan who has their team playing the Royals?

Lol
Deleted User 318

Fish's Joe Kelly just got 8 games without even being thrown out. Only one start, and I could see appeal knocking it down to 4-5, but still, weak when he wasn't even ejected and walked away from the bench clearing.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:40 pm Fish's Joe Kelly just got 8 games without even being thrown out. Only one start, and I could see appeal knocking it down to 4-5, but still, weak when he wasn't even ejected and walked away from the bench clearing.
Not sure how to legislate these things, but that's the equivalent of more than 21 games in a 162-game season.
Deleted User 318

I think it's false to extrapolate it out. If he was a reliever or position player, absolutely too harsh. But since he's a starter, the idea is to make final adjudication one start, which it probably will be on the final appeal. He can't go any sooner than say Aug 2nd anyway, so I think if it settles to 4-5, then it's probably fine. Pushes his next start one day, which I think is MLB's goals.

That said, it should be zero.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Puzzling outfield blew the game today. Not a huge fan of some of the lineup decisions so far.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:15 pm I think it's false to extrapolate it out. If he was a reliever or position player, absolutely too harsh. But since he's a starter, the idea is to make final adjudication one start, which it probably will be on the final appeal. He can't go any sooner than say Aug 2nd anyway, so I think if it settles to 4-5, then it's probably fine. Pushes his next start one day, which I think is MLB's goals.

That said, it should be zero.
He's a reliever.
Deleted User 318

Oh my bad, he used to be a started for the Red Sox, didn’t realize he was moved to bullpen. Yeah, even worse.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I almost feel like the suspension was right out of another incompetent's playbook - rile people up to distract from catastrophic mismanagement on more important things.
Deleted User 318

That’s cynical, even for me. This is just garden-variety ineptitude, on top of all other mismanagement.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Bubic tomorrow.