2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by pdub »

I do think that CnB's point is valid in that, of all the B12 teams, we stand to benefit from a 'redshirt' season.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

pdub wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:38 am It'll be a miracle if the NFL season can make it through to the Super Bowl.
It's a miracle we need.
I think there's enough money to make/lose that the season will power through a la baseball. I wonder if they expand rosters or postpone games (I haven't been following NFL plans for the season).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:51 am
pdub wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:38 am It'll be a miracle if the NFL season can make it through to the Super Bowl.
It's a miracle we need.
I think there's enough money to make/lose that the season will power through a la baseball. I wonder if they expand rosters or postpone games (I haven't been following NFL plans for the season).
I tend to think the NFL is the one thing that is too big to cancel.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Michigan and Ohio State released official statements opposing the decision of the presidents. Going to be interesting. I wonder if the Athletic Departments will set up their own games and say FU to the conference.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:52 am
It's a miracle we need.
I tend to think the NFL is the one thing that is too big to cancel.
WAAAAAAY too big. The NFL is going to be played. I'd put odd at 75/25 played at least half the season.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd shorten the season to 12 games with a good months worth of buffer for rescheduling.
Don't need 16 games to find your contenders.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:54 am I'd shorten the season to 12 games with a good months worth of buffer for rescheduling.
I'm not sure it's necessary - I don't think it particularly matters if the season finishes on time. I think you can tolerate a few two-week league-wide hiatuses without issue. The stadiums aren't really used for anything else.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's a miracle we need.
Not worth the time to sweat the details as fans. Everything's going to change, probably multiple times.
Deleted User 318

pdub wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:54 am I'd shorten the season to 12 games with a good months worth of buffer for rescheduling.
$$$$$$$

And they already canceled the preseason (games would've started last Thursday!) so I highly doubt they cancel anything further unless something big happens.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:58 am
$$$$$$$

And they already canceled the preseason (games would've started last Thursday!) so I highly doubt they cancel anything further unless something big happens.
Don't think for a second that the NFL isn't lustily looking toward all those Saturdays now opening up.
Deleted User 318

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:02 pm
$$$$$$$

Don't think for a second that the NFL isn't lustily looking toward all those Saturdays now opening up.
That was the first thing I thought. I would watch 26 hours a week if they did all day Saturday games too. They can basically do what they want now since they don't need to worry about ticketholders. Fox CBS, NBC and ABC would be dumb not to clear out their Saturday programming and stagger those games better. It's be a travesty too that NFL only has two timeslots on Sundays for games. It should be staggered more anyway so there is overlap, that way the noon slot doesn't have 10 games on at the same time with six coming down to the wire. Maybe a Saturday overtake will push them to better stagger those games.
Deleted User 318

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ville's coach is saying he was told the ACC is going to move forward no matter what the other conferences do.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Kinda hard to claim that ncaa football players are just student athletes if you build a ton of protocols to keep them safe that you do not do for the rest of your on-campus students. The ncaa and schools lose less money cancelling the season than they do treating players as employees and having to pay them moving forward.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:06 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:02 pm

$$$$$$$

That was the first thing I thought. I would watch 26 hours a week if they did all day Saturday games too. They can basically do what they want now since they don't need to worry about ticketholders. Fox CBS, NBC and ABC would be dumb not to clear out their Saturday programming and stagger those games better. It's be a travesty too that NFL only has two timeslots on Sundays for games. It should be staggered more anyway so there is overlap, that way the noon slot doesn't have 10 games on at the same time with six coming down to the wire. Maybe a Saturday overtake will push them to better stagger those games.
Televise 3 NFL time slots on Saturday and 3 more on Sunday with one Monday Night game. Get rid of the awful Thursday Night game.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:24 pm Kinda hard to claim that ncaa football players are just student athletes if you build a ton of protocols to keep them safe that you do not do for the rest of your on-campus students. The ncaa and schools lose less money cancelling the season than they do treating players as employees and having to pay them moving forward.
I saw in Trevor Lawrence's statement that playing is better protection for players than going home. I would not be surprised if that's true.

The problem is that, even in a fanless season, a college football game is, what, 500 people or so per? Traveling around? In college towns?
Deleted User 318

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:24 pm Kinda hard to claim that ncaa football players are just student athletes if you build a ton of protocols to keep them safe that you do not do for the rest of your on-campus students. The ncaa and schools lose less money cancelling the season than they do treating players as employees and having to pay them moving forward.
I saw a cynical take that Big Ten and Pac-12 canceled the season to prevent the unionization of the players.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:30 pm
I saw a cynical take that Big Ten and Pac-12 canceled the season to prevent the unionization of the players.
I do think it's exceedingly risky for those conferences (any conferences) to move before the rest. If the ACC and SEC play...those other rosters are getting raided.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:27 pm
I saw in Trevor Lawrence's statement that playing is better protection for players than going home. I would not be surprised if that's true.

The problem is that, even in a fanless season, a college football game is, what, 500 people or so per? Traveling around? In college towns?
That's true IF they do regular testing and separate them from the student body and quarantine them if they test positive. I doubt many question that.

But how do you turn around and argue that the athletes are just regular students if you are giving them all of these extra things you arent doing for the general student body?

The ncaa's desperate grasp of their antiquated arguments for not paying athletes painted them into this corner.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:38 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:27 pm

That's true IF they do regular testing and separate them from the student body and quarantine them if they test positive. I doubt many question that.

But how do you turn around and argue that the athletes are just regular students if you are giving them all of these extra things you arent doing for the general student body?

The ncaa's desperate grasp of their antiquated arguments for not paying athletes painted them into this corner.
Not that this argument holds up much better for pro sports, but: god damn, it's irresponsible to test the way we need to test for sports, when we can't test at a reasonable degree across everyone.